Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old February 23, 2008   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default What's Up???

Hey Everyone in NorCal. Have you started your tomato seeds yet? I haven't. I probably won't start from seed this year. I still need to level of an area of my backyard for raised beds and build a short fence to keep my doggies out. During the last storm, I had a tree removed from that area.

This year, I will only have 2-9'x3' raised beds, some Easi-Lift grow bags and 2 Earthboxes. It is going to be a pain bringing in the soil because the nearest nursery is at least ten 10 miles away.

The Earthboxes will definitely be used for cherry tomatoes. 1 raised bed will be for cukes and the other for tomatoes. The growbags will be for peppers.

So how many tomato plants should I squeeze into 1-9x3 bed?
Old February 24, 2008   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hello Ange,

Out of 48 "slots", I had 44 germinate on the first try this year (started Dec 26, 2007). Last year I couldn't get Purple Haze to germinate, even after 4 trys - - this year, BAM!! 3 of 3 seedlings are doing well. My trouble this year is trying to get Goose Creek to "take wing", so to speak. Only 1 of 3 has germinated.

I had to move my seedlings out to a self-watering Earthbox on Feb 11, as I was going on a business trip for a full week, and they would have died from lack of water inside the house. They seem to be loving it outside right now. (See photo taken Feb 4, then one taken today Feb 24). Big difference!! I plan on separating them into pairs, then moving them into their own Earthboxes over the next 2 weeks.

Ray in Campbell, CA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3779.JPG (321.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3899.JPG (245.4 KB, 16 views)
Old February 24, 2008   #3
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

In a 9 x 3 bed, I think only three would work! Okay?

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
Old February 24, 2008   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I found it best for me 32" to 36" apart.
Old February 24, 2008   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks...Thanks...Thanks...
Old February 28, 2008   #6
chai
Tomatovillian™

Hi! Great to see tomato growers in northern Cal I am in Davis and I just joined the forum and started posting.My tomatoes are all sprouting like crazy.I've been planting all this month.Indoors. I plant using the pellets that grow in water and have found they work great.Are you all planning a get together at Morning Sun again this year? I have some plants I could share.I supply a few poeple with seedlings which is always fun but it's nice to know there are people who really enjoy this who live in the area. Chai in Davis, Ca
Old March 11, 2008   #7
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

Would be interested to know what varieties you're growing this year. I've seeded about 59 varieties but probably only have room for 40. They're all just beginning to show their first true leaves. I'm way behind you...

Cheers, Annie
Old March 23, 2008   #8
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

So, are you guys going to have NORCATT this year? I really need to come up for a visit to see my sister. :-)
Old March 23, 2008   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I am really hopeful Brad (Wild Boar Farms) will again host this event at his farm. Walking through his 12,000 tomato plants and sampling / going home with boxes of his unique tomatoes was a real treat!!

Here's a photo of Brad during our picking activity:

I'll bring the wine again this year, and we all need to give Brad a hand setting up for the event. Brad, I'll be happy to come up several hours before the event to help pick tomatoes for you (mind if I bring my salt shaker and sample a few along the way??).

Ray
Old March 27, 2008   #10
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone!

I have my little seedlings that I'm hardening off. Actually got in my garden today, mowed the weeds, turned soil and set up cages. Alas, I learned my lesson last year, after I ended up with an impregnable mass of plants with way too many wasted tomatoes! I've gone from 36 down to 17 plants.

Chai, welcome! I'm another Davisite. East Davis.

I'm growing mostly old favorites. Of course, Berkeley Tie Dye, Beauty King, Annie's Black Zebra, Super Italian Paste, Speckled Roman, Sarah Black, Black Trifele, OR117, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black from Tula, Sungold, Lemon Boy, Mystery Cherokee and Not Burrakers!

We'll see if I can actually resist not putting in MORE...!

~Diana
Old April 4, 2008   #11
chai
Tomatovillian™

Hi! It was just beautiful outside today.I was wishing I had a chance to get out there and plant a few tomatoes, but all I had time to do was water everything.The Jasmine is starting to bloom and smells wonderful.Diana, it's great to meet another Davisite.I'm in south Davis.That's a great list you're growing-lots of my faves.I am trying out Beauty King and Tie Dye Berkeley this year for the first time.I've loved growing tomatoes and can't believe I just found this group this year.Feel very out of the loop,lol!I think I've missed out on some great gatherings and am hoping there's a get together at Wild Boar Farms as I'd love to see it-hint hint and not the least bit subtle about it, amI? I have quite a few seedlings and would happily share with you, Diana, though it sounds like I should not even tempt you.You are showing great restraint-I'm quite impressed.I overstuff my beds I think.I gave away a number of plants to some of the women in my running group.That was fun to find other gardeners.There's a difference between what I grow as seedlings and what I end up having room for in the ground but I like to give them away.My favourite tomatoes last year were Marvel Stripe and Green Pineapple.I'm growing both again and I'll also grow the ananas noire and Pineapple as well as Golden Pineapple and Hawaiian Pineapple which are probably the same type of tomato.I'm growing Japanese Black Trifle, Brad's Black oxheart,Carbon, Paul Robeson, Black from Tula, Black Prince,Black Brandywine, Black Cherry, Black Zebra, and probably more than a few others.Green tomatoes is Green Zebra, Charlies Green, Spears Green, Green Moldovan,Green Giant,a green with a Russian name I won't even attempt to recall, and one or two that aren't coming to mind.Asleep yet? Yellow is Halfmoon China, Wapsipinicon Peach, Hughes,Lillians Heirloom,among others.I love the flavours of the yellow and red striped or mottled tomatoes, like the Pineapple types and Hillbilly and Marvel Stripe.I'm most excited about trying Jewel Of Oaxaca as I've heard it's wonderful on the Baker Creek forum and it's a striped tomato.I'm also trying Orange Stripe and Chocolate Stripe this year. I also got seeds from Baker C for the Italian Tree tomato-just for fun.I could go on like this all night.I'm thinking maybe if I plant this weekend I will use the WOWs.The nights have been a bit chilly and I heard that the WOWs really help.It gets down into the low 40's at night, What do you all think? Still need them or not? I have a few cloche I am going to try with the cucumber seedlings I have.Still too early?Just wondering....Chai
Old April 4, 2008   #12
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chai!

I was hoping you'd check back!! I planted my starts last Sunday, and they've been fine at night. All the tomato fields around planted a week before I did, and are flourishing out there, so if your plants are hardened off okay, I think they'll be fine.

OH, oh, temptation!! lol! We do have lots of the same black tomatoes. I'm not too much a 'green tomato' fan, but mostly because I haven't figured out when to pick them...

I just passed on some of my starts through Freecycle. I think it's the same woman I gave some to last year too!

I hope we do get to Brad's this year. we can carpool!

~Diana
Old April 5, 2008   #13
chai
Tomatovillian™

Great, Diana, I was hoping you'd reply to my post! It's fun to be meeting other gardeners in Davis now.I am going to also be helping a friend who is in the Davis Gardening club and has a large plot out at the community gardens.She wanted a gardening buddy to help with her community plot and I am excited about doing that.Don't you love Davis freecycle? I got a beautiful patio table and 6 chairs from there this year.We felt as though we'd won a grand prize,lol! Thanks for the advice on the WOWs. I think I may try a few just to see if the plant grows any faster, just to compare, especially with the one tomatillo I am growing.Last year the plant got big, had a few flowers but somehow, the season was over and no tomatillos.So we'll see.I'm hoping for a good year. If you'd like some cukes or squash plants let me know! and yes, hopefully we'll get to Brad's and I'd love to carpool. take care, have fun gardening-Chai