Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 9, 2017   #16
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

My seeds from Tomatoeden arrived the day before yesterday. I had placed my first order on Feb. 11th but the shipment got lost. Wrote them an e-mail and they reshipped eveything the following day.
The seeds came in a plain envelope on which my address had been handwritten. I also got some bonus seeds.
Thumbs up for them.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #17
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I wonder how they manage to keep their prices and shipping so reasonable, when many other EU vendors are struggling to have their ends meet.
Of course, Poland is not in the Euro currency and so their economy is not a sinking ship...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #18
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I wonder how they manage to keep their prices and shipping so reasonable, when many other EU vendors are struggling to have their ends meet.
Of course, Poland is not in the Euro currency and so their economy is not a sinking ship...
Good point. I’ve been wondering the same. Their seeds are a good 30-40% cheaper than the ones sold by any other European vendor I know. And while it is true that the Polish economy is one of the workhorses of Europe (unfortunately not of the UE), it is also true that the cost of living there is way lower than that of any other UE country. I read that the minimum wage there is around 400 €.
Besides that, I also read the Corporate tax rate for a Polish company is currently 40,3% (Finland is actually at 37,9%), while Italy tops this chart with a stunning 64,8%
Those two are definitely key factors in keeping the prices low.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, our system tends to favor large corporations. Small businesses, not so easy...

Actually I can see no rhyme or reason with TomatoEden's seed count and pricing - the amount you get is not so large, many are just 10, some 15, and the price is mostly 1,20 € or so. Some of the (rarer?) varieties can cost 2,50 €, which is still inexpensive for Europe..
Hope they'll do well and stay in business. It's a tough market.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My order came today. It only took nine business days. They also gave me some free seeds of Russian Rose.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote