Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 11, 2017   #1
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2017 Tomatoes

I've got 10 different varieties this year. I got a late start. I think I planted about March 15. I don't have a computer at the moment, and I can't figure out how to resize the pic on my IPad.

Pictures that are too big are one of my pet peeves, too!Mkaes it hard to read the text.

Not in order with the picture, but I have Big Beef, Big Boy, Better Boy, Golden Jubilee, Roma, Cherokee Purple, German Queen, Park's Whopper Improved, Arkansas Traveler, Beefmaster.

I am just now starting to ge a lot of blooms. A couple of weeks ago, we got 10 inches of rain in 3 days, and lows in the upper 40's. My plants got the crap beat out of them by the heavy rain.

The standout so far is Better Boy. Cherokee Purple is the tallest, Golden Jubilee is really taking off. Roma is doing well.

The one that is really sucking is the German Queen. Almost 3 feet tall, and no sign of flowering.

I couldn't get any individual pictures that capture how dense and luscious some of the plants are. Bout to start hitting them with Texas Tomato Food.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (656.7 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Frank D; May 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't know anything about IPADs, but I copied what you wrote and searched "figure out how to resize the pic on my IPad" It pulled up this https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...=1494515541963

How to resize image on IPAD?

Resize a Photo from the iPhone & iPad by Email
  1. From the Photos app, select the photo(s) you want to resize then tap on the “Share” option (the little arrow icon)
  2. Choose “Mail” and select the recipient, choosing your own email as the recipient if you want to just resize an image and share it with yourself.
More items...

Resize Photos from iPhone by Mailing Them to Yourself - OS X Daily

osxdaily.com/2014/04/21/resize-photos-from-iphone-mail/

Search for: How to resize image on IPAD?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #3
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
I've got 10 different varieties this year. I got a late start. I think I planted about March 15. I don't have a computer at the moment, and I can't figure out how to resize the pic on my IPad.

Pictures that are too big are one of my pet peeves, too!Mkaes it hard to read the text.

Not in order with the picture, but I have Big Beef, Big Boy, Better Boy, Golden Jubilee, Roma, Cherokee Purple, German Queen, Park's Whopper Improved, Arkansas Traveler, Beefmaster.

I am just now starting to ge a lot of blooms. A couple of weeks ago, we got 10 inches of rain in 3 days, and lows in the upper 40's. My plants got the crap beat out of them by the heavy rain.

The standout so far is Better Boy. Cherokee Purple is the tallest, Golden Jubilee is really taking off. Roma is doing well.

The one that is really sucking is the German Queen. Almost 3 feet tall, and no sign of flowering.

I couldn't get any individual pictures that capture how dense and luscious some of the plants are. Bout to start hitting them with Texas Tomato Food.
Gorgeous set up !. Love that rustic wall , is it concrete? Is the wall retainer for the hill in background?. Plants look great ! .. Son in law is gettIng excited about going home and seeing his folks . I haven't been to Arkansas since I was a kid. Your place is pretty.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #4
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jimbotomateo,

Yes the retaining wall is concrete. It replaced a wall only half as tall we built of rocks when I was a kid.

Thanks for the compliments. The more closely I look, I am now finding tiny hidden tomatoes.

Next year I will be starting from seed. I've got everything together for that already. I try to add a couple barrels each year. I get them for $17.
Old May 11, 2017   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! I love your containers, what size are those and where do you get them? Nice work, they look happy and healthy.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #6
silkcom
Tomatovillian™

looks like 1/2 55 gallon jugs. You can find them on craigslist usually for pretty cheap
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #7
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

Jillian, they are plastic 55 gallon drums. I put a few marks in the middle all the way around, then run a ring of painters tape around the barrel and cut along the tape with a skill saw.

The barrels contained a hydrogen peroxide based sanitizer. I fill them with water and let them set twice overnight after I cut them in half.

There's a little flea market down the road that sells them. They are $17 now. I remember when they were $5.
Old May 11, 2017   #8
silkcom
Tomatovillian™

i'm using one of them this year as a reservoir for my rain gutter hydroponics setup. It is nice that they're so cheap
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #9
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they are great containers. Unlike 5 gallon buckets, they show no signs of getting brittle from the sun.
Old May 11, 2017   #10
jillian
Tomatovillian™

That's a real bargain. Haven't seen anything like it at my local flea market. What a deal!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic garden!! Kudos!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #12
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Frank:

Just starting some container gardening this year. Do you reuse the soil every year and just amend it?

I love the 55 gallon container idea - can pick those up locally too.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #13
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

So far I am just amending the soil. if I had some big disease outbreak, I would replace it. I have stopped putting gravel in the bottom of the containers to make it easier if I do want to change the soil. There are several 5/8" holes in the bottom of each barrel.

The plan is to eventually brew up a big enough batch of soil to have it tested. I try to add a couple new barrels each year.

Last edited by Frank D; May 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 12, 2017   #14
Claude Roach
Tomatovillian™

what about drilling the holes on the sides of the barrells and using the bottom as a reservoir, say 6" up from the bottom of the barrell ?
Claude Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #15
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

The front of my house gets so much more sun. I'm kicking around seeing if I can get away with growing some more dwarfs and peppers in decorative pots. The cost of new potting soil each year would be prohibitive though.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote