Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I have no idea what 4831 is !!
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #17
jillian
Tomatovillian™

The stinkbugs haven't landed here yet. They must have sent the armies of earwigs to "spy out the land". They are everywhere.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #18
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tried any of the lure & trap setups, like this one?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005BZEF..._t1_B005X94R7U

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #19
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

By the looks of the reviews on that trap I wouldn't spend the money on one.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #20
James_57
Tomatovillian™

I like lift over coffee and dish soap with a few drops of cooking oil.
James_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #21
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I tried that stink bug trap about 3 years ago in my fruit trees when the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug was decimating fruit. I didn't catch a single bug. Don't waste your monty.

I would also not recommend using non food grade DE. It is manufactured differently and may contain heavy metals like arsenic or lead and the silica particles have been heated making them sharper and hazardous to lungs of humans or pets. Does your dog ever go into the garden and rub against the plants? Do you want to rub against the plants and stir up hazardous dust and breathe it into your lungs?

I would not want to use such a thing around my garden or have it in my shed. It is intended for use in swimming pool filters.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #22
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I was at Lowes today. They have DE powder in a bag.
Is its active ingredient "Silicon " something ? . If it works, I don't care if it is food grade. I am not using inside or around animals.
I was also at Tractor Supply. I bought a container of Sevin Concentrate liquid bug/insect killer but I don't think it kills stink bugs. I bought it mainly to combat grasshoppers. There are zillions of them everywhere and my garden is adjacent to pasture and grass area.
Gardeneer.. The pasture and grass area nearby could certainly be the culprit. I had and overgrown area next to my garden last year that I didn't tend to well and had stink bugs bad. If you see them on the fruit then there are certainly many more. Best to use the nuclear option now rather than later. Good luck.
Old May 22, 2017   #23
SarahBeth
Tomatovillian™

I noticed a number of YouTube videos where folks killed stink bugs with just a simple dish soap solution. It appears to work. Has anyone here tried this?
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #24
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

SarahBeth it works on individuals. The problems is when you see individuals there's usually already an army hiding somewhere close. The options already posted are good ideas for dealing with stink bugs.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #25
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

You might want to go looking for their eggs,they lay them on the underside of leaves.The eggs are really hard,I smash them with 2 pieces of flat stones.This is epic win if you find them because you eliminate a few dosen of future stinkbugs.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #26
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

What is this thing?

http://bugguide.net/images/raw/VRHQ1...BRX0FQU0FQ.jpg

Well, I''ll be danged. Leave it to me to come up with another bug I have never seen. This thing was on my tomato this morning. He didn't run when I found him and I was able to suck him up into the bugzooka.

https://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.e...06/tomato-bug/

Now I am in big trouble, I just sprayed Neem two days ago, what else can I do?

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 23, 2017 at 09:30 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #27
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
I noticed a number of YouTube videos where folks killed stink bugs with just a simple dish soap solution. It appears to work. Has anyone here tried this?
I use it to kill them and leaf footed bugs. Then check under every leaf for eggs. When you find them spray with soap to lubricate then take a dulled point (I use little sticks that fall outta my oak tree) and scrape the eggs off. Dont worry about leaf damage, I just rip the piece off if it is near the edge, it wont hurt em much. Then check again every few days, like 2-3 until you stop seeing them. SVB's will be laying eggs soon so if you have BT id start spraying it asap. I also recommend starting squash seeds every 4 weeks here so you can replace any that get killed. I cover the little ones with row cover till they bloom then spray with Surround WP/DE.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a bunch of old socks I'm going to put on my tomatoes.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I use it to kill them and leaf footed bugs. Then check under every leaf for eggs. When you find them spray with soap to lubricate then take a dulled point (I use little sticks that fall outta my oak tree) and scrape the eggs off. Dont worry about leaf damage, I just rip the piece off if it is near the edge, it wont hurt em much. Then check again every few days, like 2-3 until you stop seeing them. SVB's will be laying eggs soon so if you have BT id start spraying it asap. I also recommend starting squash seeds every 4 weeks here so you can replace any that get killed. I cover the little ones with row cover till they bloom then spray with Surround WP/DE.
SVBs are most effectively controlled by dusting the lower stem near the ground with Sevin dust. It doesn't bother the bees which are up in the flowers but it does stop SVBs if you can keep it on the stems below the blooms and new growth. I have been doing this for years now after trying everything under the sun to slow the buggers down with only limited or no success. I have only lost a couple of plants to SVBs since starting this method of control and that was usually because I got sick of squash and quit dusting the stems. The trick is every time it rains or every time you water the squash well you need to go out and dust them with fresh Sevin again. If it is raining in the evening then really make the effort to go out first thing in the morning and dust the stems because the SVB moth seems to be most active just as the sun starts hitting the plants and for the next hour or two.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #30
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I use it to kill them and leaf footed bugs. Then check under every leaf for eggs. When you find them spray with soap to lubricate then take a dulled point (I use little sticks that fall outta my oak tree) and scrape the eggs off. Dont worry about leaf damage, I just rip the piece off if it is near the edge, it wont hurt em much. Then check again every few days, like 2-3 until you stop seeing them.
If you have more than 4 plants, you have to quit your day job have the time for this...?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote