Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default MG Tomato Food Question

It has been a while since I used MG Tomato plant food (18-18-21). I'm watering the soil with a 5 gallon bucket mixing the large scoop with 1.5 gallons of water. My question is: I got some of the mixture on the leaves of a tomato plant - do I need to wash it off? I don't remember if MG burns the leaves or not?

The font is too small on the box!
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No you are fine no worries.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cool, thank you Worth.

It took the whole box and the better part of two hours to get them fed.
Old May 29, 2017   #4
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I have fed my plants twice so far with MGT and this last time some of the plants got wispy and droopy for a few hours and I thought I may have OD'd them. After about 4-6 hours they came out of it and are looking good. I mixed at the recommended ratio that you used. My plants are about 18" tall. I mixed a little lighter ratio the first time because they were only about
12" tall. No matter what I do I can't seem to kill them. YET!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I have fed my plants twice so far with MGT and this last time some of the plants got wispy and droopy for a few hours and I thought I may have OD'd them. After about 4-6 hours they came out of it and are looking good. I mixed at the recommended ratio that you used. My plants are about 18" tall. I mixed a little lighter ratio the first time because they were only about
12" tall. No matter what I do I can't seem to kill them. YET!
Weelll, if you are looking to kill them, if all else fails, there's always the lawnmower....
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #6
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Weelll, if you are looking to kill them, if all else fails, there's always the lawnmower....
Yeah, I had thought of that but my riding mower won't climb into the raised bed. Even with a running start. Maybe I can wrap a chain around them and yank them out?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Maybe some chains, maybe a ramp??

I did post that with a bit of tongue and cheek, but one year, in east Texas, I DID have to finally mow down the garden!

I know, heresy, but I couldn't even give/sneak into church parking lots any more. It was a wonderful garden but so much...

It was a wonderful and yet awful thing, LOL, and I learned a lot.
Old May 29, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A garden from 1978 had black eyed peas growing in it and producing left-and-right which attracted every wasp in the countryside. You couldn't get close to the garden because of the wasps, so my father got on his tractor and mowed them down. I have never seen that many wasps before or since then.
Old May 29, 2017   #9
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

that blue stuff is scary high in nitrogen for fruit but it does seem to work. I bought a lifetime supply at Costco 10 years ago. I use a little every three weeks or so.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One time years ago when I was in grade school in the fall we would pick black walnuts and sell them in town for money.

My friend and I spotted a huge wasp nest about the size of a basket ball covered in wasps.
One of us threw a walnut at it and hit it dead center.
We were about 25 yards off and hid behind a boulder as this huge cloud of mad wasps flew over our heads.
We were on our backs looking up and it looked like black smoke from a freight train going over.

Worth
Old May 29, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I bet that was cool looking.

I almost forgot, when I was out feeding the plants, I picked our first squash this year. It's a yellow straight neck summer squash. June first is the average first summer squash here. I have never had a winter squash survive the summer heat, so I didn't plant any this time around.
Old May 29, 2017   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Wasps can be scary, but sometimes fascinating too. We often have porch wasps that have never bothered us and build a nest near the ceiling of the porch ( 10 ft. up); once in a while, one would come within arms length and simply hang in place and appearing to study us a bit, then fly off.

Rob and I once spent the better part of almost an hour watching a wasp capture and then try to carry a bug as big as she was back to that porch nest! She would grasp it and struggle to carry it a couple feet at a time, we were close enough to hear her wings just working! She finally got it all the way up there though and Rob and I laughed at ourselves for being so intent on watching her struggles and determination.

Had some one threaten to spray the nest once and we both told him to stuff it, the wasps had their ways and we had ours without any troubles!
Old May 29, 2017   #13
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

MG and MG tomato have almost all NH4 nitrogen vs NO3 nitrogen. And no calcium....
The nh4 is not the preferred nitrogen source for tomato and can be toxic to them when it is cold.
Looks a little like sunburn.
If its a small part of their nutrition and they need a little boost, sure go for it, otherwise not a fan.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had to spray one this year on the porch.
It was what we mistakenly call yellow jackets.
The darn thing was on the front door right in my face as I walk in.
I had been in and out of that door I dont know how many times and didn't see it.
The neighbor gal was in the drive talking to me and a wasp came flying by and she came unglued big time.
Flapping and going on like there was no tomorrow.
Calm down woman it is only a wasp.
One stung me once she said.
So have I been stung but they dont bother me if I dont bother them.
I dont care I am scared to death of them.

Talk about a deal breaker, I cant have anything in common with anyone that reacts to a critter like that.
I remember how scared Nancy was of scorpions until she got stung by one and didn't die.
From then on she would collect them in the house and let them loose outside.

Worth
Old May 29, 2017   #15
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

I hit a yellow jacket nest turning a leaf mulch pile around 10 years ago.
nasty little buggers didn't even have to chase me. they just stung me around 20 times until I got inside.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote