Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 5, 2015   #226
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
That's an interest point about the cukes being handled by customers or kids. I just saw that report about the cukes from Mexico and repeated that comment there. How often do you see kids running amok in the produce section. That is why I always take produce from the top of the bin where most kids can't reach. BUT if an adult handled a package of chicken that's dripping and then handled all the apples, well that is an outbreak waiting to happen. So important to wash all your produce well. And the thought of that makes me sick...yuk!

Will read the rest in a bit.
Having worked in Wegmans produce for a long time, I can tell you a few things with certainty.
Fruit travels all over the display so what was on the top may end up on the bottom, to left, right, etc. Like if everyone is grabbing from the top, an employee will come along and move bottom ones up to fix the display til it actually gets empty enough to warrant going in the back for another box. So do not assume anything about where it is on the display.
Adults are often more disgusting that kids, especially older people! They are the ones, for example, who sample a grape out of all the packages looking for the magical bag with better flavor. They are also the ones who eat cherries and plums and spit the pits out, not the kids.
Also, that produce get picked in the field so it is handled at least by one person maybe two depending on how the product is package. Then at least one store employee touchs it. Then customers touch them and maybe more employees. So a lot of hands go on them.
Point being for everyone to take away. People of all ages are gross. WASH OFF all produce before eating!!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #227
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use a bleach solution to wash off stuff as for the kid comment it wasn't customers kids it was some of the goof balls they hire at the store.
The texting with one hand and trying to push a 300 pound cart with the other still gets me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #228
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Fermented stuffed eggplants. Stuffing: garlic, boiled carrots, celery. Smells so good.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 2.41.20 PM.png (860.7 KB, 135 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #229
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

i've just been pouring over recipes for pickles as this will be my first time. I'm sticking to a short water bath and from what I've read, it's important to have the water just about ready to boil before putting the jars in, 10 min. max, and some recipes say 5 minutes. I'm not familiar or comfortable with the low temperature water bath, or whatever it's called. I also looked at fermentation, but it scared me a little so that's for next year's brave new world! Baby steps! I agree with Worth, one needs to inform themselves about what is safe and not take everyone's advice or recommendations unless you are experienced in canning and preserving.
As for washing our produce that we buy, absolutely everything should be washed, because we don't know where it sat, who touched it, etc. Think about cutting open a melon without washing it.... I have a son who can't close a kitchen drawer, but washes a lemon before cutting it... Go figure!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #230
Zana
Tomatovillian™

If you're going to do it with almost boiling water, I'd make sure that the jars have been hot packed, or you're going to get jars cracking with the extreme temp change...not all, but some. Had that happen a few times over the past month. So I start with hot from the tap and then let it come to a boil after the jars are in - no more breakage.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #231
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Sharon, I just helped with an Extension Pickle/Sauerkraut class yesterday. Super fun for everybody, students and volunteers. I should post some photos.

If you are raw packing, which many quick pickles are, you should bring the canner water up to 140 degrees. Hot pack would be 180, almost a simmer. The lower temp process is called low temp pasteurization. You keep the water during processing between 180 and 185 for about 30 mins, depending on recipe. The pickles aren't 'boiled' during processing and tend to stay crisper.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/ug...w_canners.html
Old September 14, 2015   #232
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

hi corona barb. I think I'm going to hot pack. From what I've been reading if i keep the water at almost boiling, then put my jars in, the water should start to boil more quickly and I would hot water bath for 10 minutes max. That way the pickles won't get cooked. I am not sure about the low temp pasteurization. I have found a couple of recipes that give that option.
Thanks, Sharon
Old September 20, 2015   #233
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

The pickles came out perfect but a little vinegary.. I may not be able to go back to Clausen

I found another reciepe that had 3 parts water 2 parts vinegar and 1/4 cup of kosher salt

Will that have any effect on the pickling? The recipe originally that I tried was 1:1 water/vinegar and 1/4 cup of kosher salt

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
ok thanks for the info!

New attempt will only be with one mason jar until I figure it out

New Plan:
1. Use Kirby Pickles
2. Cut off the blossom tips
3. Give the cucumbers an ice bath prior to pouring brining solution
4. Instead of boiling after filling just put them in the fridge!

Question on 4: The pickles will have to go into a refrigerator immediately since they are not boiled/pasteurized for a period of time?

thanks!
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #234
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

If that recipe has not been tested (testing to insure that it is acidic enough to keep botulism spores from blooming), then I would not use it. The standard to compare recipes is 1:1 water/vinegar. There are some tested recipes at Ball and NCHFP that give different ratios than that. Where did you find the recipe?
Old September 21, 2015   #235
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Zana, I just read your post! LOL! Dont' know how I missed it. Yes, I put hot water in the jars before I put them in the water bath to start simmering when I can. But several recipes have said to get the water to boil before packing the pickles in so that the time for the water to reach a boil once all the jars are in will be less and therefore the pickles don't get cooked. I still haven't made them yet, not sure I am ready this year for this new venture.
Old September 21, 2015   #236
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Sharon,
If you want a road trip next year, c'mon on down for a pickling marathon! Always better with a team. LOL Or could do with a trip to visit my sis and the kids... LOL May still be in Montreal in the next month or so, but too late for pickling.

When I sterlise the jars, I keep them hot until they're packed. Then add hot brine that I keep at a high simmer.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 22, 2015   #237
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zana. You never know, I might just take you up on that offer next year! Yes, do let me know if you come my way!
Old September 23, 2015   #238
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Zana, can I come too? It sounds like FUN! Plus hubby would love it if I made some pickles for him!

I've never canned pickles, but I usually can plums, apples and, of course, tomato sauce!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #239
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Zana, can I come too? It sounds like FUN! Plus hubby would love it if I made some pickles for him!

I've never canned pickles, but I usually can plums, apples and, of course, tomato sauce!

Linda
Sure...lol. We've been known to have a dozen people help with a marathon pickling session where we completed over 300 jars in one day!

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 23, 2015   #240
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Sure...lol. We've been known to have a dozen people help with a marathon pickling session where we completed over 300 jars in one day!
Sounds amazing! Count me in! I'll have to remember to grow some pickling cukes next year!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote