Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2013   #1
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Default Nectar from Parks

Has anybody tried this sweet red cherry tomato from Parks? They call it the sweetest yet.http://parkseed.com/nectar-hybrid-to...p/52587-PK-P1/
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Has anybody tried this sweet red cherry tomato from Parks? They call it the sweetest yet.http://parkseed.com/nectar-hybrid-to...p/52587-PK-P1/
Best tasting red cherry yet?

Compared with what other red cherries?

Typical sell speak to me which several companies adhere to IMO to bump up sales.

Carolyn
Old September 1, 2013   #3
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Default "Wayne Schmidt's Tomato Comparison Page" reports favourably

I have always enjoyed the web contributions of Wayne Schmidt and for 2013, he has rated Nectar better than both Sun Gold & Sweet Baby Girl. He comments that the measured sugar concentration is similar to that of a muskmelon.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/tomatoes.htm
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #4
tarolli
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone growing it since last post?

I want to revive this thread because someone may have grown it since 2013. I became interested in it because of Wayne Schmitt' s review.
tarolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #5
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarolli View Post
I want to revive this thread because someone may have grown it since 2013. I became interested in it because of Wayne Schmitt' s review.
Yes I have grown it over spring of 2016 in Florida. There were lots of diseases with the rain so it really didn't farewell. It is very sweet and flat flavor tomato, aside from an initial honey like taste there is not much depth in the flavor. Very stringy vine similar to other F1 cherries. The trusses are usually 8 - 12 fruits but can be more, it is a decent producer.

Right now I'm up to F3, it produces ridiculously early, probably 6 weeks from seeds it's flowering. The fruits are now bigger, grape shape, close to 1inch diameter. It still have some sweet characteristic, I didn't take care of them very well so I didn't know how good it could've been. I will continue to grow them next spring, I'm hoping they'll stay very early producing.

Right now I'm growing some Ambrosia Orange UBX which I predict is going to be healthier and better tasting.

I'll post some pics when I get home.

Last edited by maxjohnson; July 26, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
I have always enjoyed the web contributions of Wayne Schmidt and for 2013, he has rated Nectar better than both Sun Gold & Sweet Baby Girl. He comments that the measured sugar concentration is similar to that of a muskmelon.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/tomatoes.htm
Hard to gauge his evaluations when two really good ones produced sour and practically inedible tomatoes in his hands, these being Momotaro and Pink Brandywine.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #7
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Last one is F2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151229_084555.jpg (332.7 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160112_164805.jpg (330.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151229_173617.jpg (159.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151231_084346.jpg (141.7 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160131_165719.jpg (189.9 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg img_20160326 (3).JPG (244.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160316 nectar f2.JPG (224.0 KB, 210 views)
Old July 27, 2016   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why almost everyone refers to it like Park's Nectar. It's bred by Enza Zaden in NL, and everything they make is at least a great producer (usually in the top), so I assume this one must be too.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #9
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I have just been checking out Enza Zaden's site and his offerings in the US. The only red cherry I can find from him offered in the US is Sakura and wonder if that is the same variety (Johnny's has this one) but with the name changed by Park. Is there any other source besides Park? Park has been a very disappointing vendor in the last few years so I have avoided them. Used to be a good company to deal with. Maybe things have changed?
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
I have just been checking out Enza Zaden's site and his offerings in the US. The only red cherry I can find from him offered in the US is Sakura and wonder if that is the same variety (Johnny's has this one) but with the name changed by Park. Is there any other source besides Park? Park has been a very disappointing vendor in the last few years so I have avoided them. Used to be a good company to deal with. Maybe things have changed?
Enzen Zada is not a person,it's the name of a very famous and well known company based in the Netherlands and they were the first to offer Campari and many other well known varieties you'll recognize when I put up the links.

They do not sell seeds retail,they are strictly wholesale to companies that are seed vendors all over the world.

the homepage

http://www.enzazaden.com/

Now the tomato page

http://www.enzazaden.com/products/tomato/

It's a family run company and I first knew about them via Kees Sahin of Sahin Seeds,also based in the Netherlands at the time,after he died a Japanese Co bought Sahin Seeds,I can't remember if it was Takita or Toketa, but their reputation for breeding tomatoes is legendary.

They sent one of their sons to Sahin Seeds to learn about the retail part of the business.

Carolyn
Old July 27, 2016   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sakura is not the same one. I actually grew Sakura, it's an older hybrid, and imo not quite up there in terms of taste, but the production is ridiculous. Extreme vigour and mostly mono trusses almost a meter long with large cherries (larger than Black Cherry, more like a cocktail tomato than a cherry).
Unfortunately with these big companies, they have localized offers, and what they offer in US vs Europe is slim (also in Europe it depends on area). Not sure why, possibly the commercial growers there aren't ready to spend top dollar for their top stuff (like Sunstream).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #12
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn. I did access both links and that is how I found the Sakara. They do list on their website the varieties they have but this Nectar from Parks is not listed or may be under another name. Hopefully other US vendors will eventually carry it so we have a choice of vendors!!!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #13
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Last one is F2.
Max - Are those pictures recent? Are you growing these (Nector, UBX) this summer?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #14
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Max - Are those pictures recent? Are you growing these (Nector, UBX) this summer?
I have the UBX and Sungold growing now for comparison. I'm hoping the UBX will turn out good enough so I never have to buy Sungold again (tall order).

I have Nectar F3 seeds, I will grow them next year. I have too many seeds, I think I have 50+ variety that I will be busy growing next few years without having to buy anything else. I can send you some if you want.

Last edited by maxjohnson; July 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old July 27, 2016   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks, Carolyn. I did access both links and that is how I found the Sakara. They do list on their website the varieties they have but this Nectar from Parks is not listed or may be under another name. Hopefully other US vendors will eventually carry it so we have a choice of vendors!!!
Ithink it's very possible that they might be listing it with another name,just using the Kumato/Rosso Bruno situation.

In their various tomato categories do any of you see anything that is described as being like Nectar, as tocolor, shape?

Carolyn