Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2013   #16
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
My experience with the blues has been quite good. . Tom Wagner's have been extremely early for me (Chocolate Blues, Blue Bayou, Blue Pitts, Dancing with Smurfs,..and a couple more) . And loaded with fruit, in spite of one of the worst growing seasons in the last century.
Compared to Indigo rose, which is OK to good for me (and not set fruit yet this year), these others are excellent.

Testimony such as that is priceless! Thanks.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #17
clara
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I had Blue Streak, Pansy Ap and Dancing with Smurfs (and some years ago, OSU P20). Dancing with Smurfs was the best tasting by far. Blue Streak and Pansy Ap were on the average tastewise. This year, I'm growing some other blue ones, but no ripe fruits yet due to our unusual cold spring and late planting out.

I like the blue ones very much as a colorful addition to a salad. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #18
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Got back from the tomato field. The first thing I did was to collect pollen from my DANCING WITH SMURF tomato plant. I crossed it to about 10 plus varieties.

I had used it before about a week ago but since the flavor was so positive here on TVille, I thought it best to use it again.

The other pollen parents used today were Jet, Dan Bec, Cotton Candy, Imur Prior Beta, Peace Vine, Gardener's Delight, Kanaan, and Ardwyna Paste.

Here is a shot of me with a cross of Ardwyna Paste to Make My Day. The proprietor wanted me to use the restaurant's fave to get new varieties from it.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote