Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2009   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default "German Head" tomato

I'm growing German Head this season and wanted opinions from any of you that have grown it in the past. So far, it looks really healthy, a very well behaved & compact plant but NO blossoms. I have 13 other plants in the same location and all have blooms and several fruits already set.
comments??
Old July 9, 2009   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

German Head was a tomato machine for me. And it was not a late variety for me either. Probably early midseason. My only explanation is you may have a mule plant. Are you growing more than one?
Old July 9, 2009   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

German Head has always produced sparingly for me. I've grown it two or three years and decided to try something else. It seemed to be on of the varieties that always blosoomed when we would get a hot spell in the spring, and thus few fruit. Excellent taste. I may try it again next year, because I really like the flavor and texture.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #4
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I am growing two German Head and I don't have any blossoms at all. This is also happening to my Anna Russian, German Red Strawberry, Brandywine OTV, Earl's Faux and Marianna's Peace. Other varieties I am growing in the same location have fruit.

I am chalking it up mostly to the lack of sunshine here - so cloudy and overcast. I don't think it can be anything in the soil, because one of the German Heads is growing right next to my Big Beef and Bloody Butcher, which are producing nicely.

I haven't grown any of these before, so I can't offer any sage advice from years past.

Good luck - my goal is just to taste one before the fall killing frost.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #5
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Cleo
Sounds like you folks are having a Summer like we had last year in the PNW. I understand your frustation and disappointment. Oh! by the way you need not send it back here,just dump it in the Atlantic.
Old July 9, 2009   #6
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year for German Head and my four plants at tall and vigorous, but they are a bit blossom challenged. They are slowly setting now but are behind some others. I'm assuming they are more affected by the cool, cloudy and wet spring we had.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #7
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the replies so far. Guess it could be due to our changeable weather pattern this year. Has not been a "normal" year. Perhaps blossoms will come.......
Old July 9, 2009   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Larry, I've grown German Head quite a few times and it's a real oldie that has been around for years but has always performed well for me with high yields and darn good taste. The best taste of that type? No, but darn good taste.

We are summer challenged my friend so all bets are off on blossom formation, fruit set and maturation unless the weather changes pretty darn soon.

I was so cold this AM I turned on one of my small electric heaters when I was reading the AM paper.
Old July 10, 2009   #9
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, it is so hot in Texas I can't imagine ever needing a heater again. I was through with my garden work and back in the house by 930am this morning with sweat from head to toe. It is amazing how the weather challenges us in different ways.
I vacationed in NY in June and wore a jacket everyday, I nearly died when I flew back in to Houston.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I've grown German Head for a number of years. Flavor has always been top-notch and production good, but for me it was a mid- to late-season producer.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

cottonpicker, give it time. Grew last year and growing this year. GH takes it time but will come on like an Determinate. Just a matter how long your season lasts. This year is becoming the worst so far as we have had rain just about every day this month. Ami