Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 10, 2009   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default "best of" lists from group gatherings?

Here and there I've noticed some tomato descriptions include a tag line "voted best at [name of regional gathering] [year]." Has anyone compiled best-of lists from all the regional gatherings? It'd be interesting to see if there are regional trends.

In my garden, the "best" tomato is different every year because of weather, high proportion of new-to-me varieties each year, placement in garden, attractiveness to squirrels, etc.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #2
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had a small gathering for the past three years. Usually there are 15-20 people voting. They are comprised of my family and friends who grow my plants for the most part. There were usually about a dozen varieties sampled. Here are some of the varieties that have finished in the top 3:

Mong
Green Zebra (don't ask me, I didn't vote for it)
Stump of the World
Earl's Faux
Mortgage Lifter
Berkeley Tie-Dye (best multi-color I have ever tasted)
Yellow Perfection

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Check out the Tomatopalooza forum for a synopsys of the
favorites from each event.
Also the CHOPTAG forum may list their annual best tasting winners.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Here and there I've noticed some tomato descriptions include a tag line "voted best at [name of regional gathering] [year]." Has anyone compiled best-of lists from all the regional gatherings? It'd be interesting to see if there are regional trends.

In my garden, the "best" tomato is different every year because of weather, high proportion of new-to-me varieties each year, placement in garden, attractiveness to squirrels, etc.
Your last paragraph to me is the most important one.

And I don't put too much on what any tasting results are in terms of "best" varieties b'c you have to know what the competition was in order to make any sense of it and when there are a large number of varieties present for tasting not everyone tastes everything, and finally, not everyone bothers to fill out the forms to rate the various varieties.

Been there, done that, used to hold lots of tomato tastings in the past.
Old February 11, 2009   #5
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

A bit off topic but I should mention that my friend, Perry, is getting quite good at growing heirloom tomatoes. I introduced them to him, or vice versa, about 4 years ago. Being an old geezer like me he was already an experienced gardener. So, he has been growing my plants ever since and last year built raised beds. The Green Zebra and Yellow Perfection entries mentioned above are Perry's babies. Sometimes a little tomatoevangelism goes a long way.

Rik ain't doin' too bad, either.

mater
Old February 11, 2009   #6
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Over here on the Niagara Frontier, Earl's Faux won best in 2007, and Stump of the World won best in 2008. Sweetest went to Sungold both years.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2009   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm not so quick to dismiss formal or informal winners at tomato tastings as long as some heavy hitters are present. Earl's Faux and Stump of the World are IMO, heavy hitters.

JD's Special C-Tex was especially delicious at the 2007 SETTFest. Despite the scoresheets and an attempt to quantify tomatoes, there were just too many tomatoes and too little data to really count. As I found when I visited Suze's place, tasting more than 30 tomato varieties in a row is quite difficult. Over 50 seems unlikely in one sitting.

We didn't have any scoring sheets or make any attempt at accuracy in 2008, but as I was going down Michael Gunn's table, preparing samples of different varieties, it was by pure chance that I sampled Mountaineer Mystery. In fact I did not expect much as the tomato was very large and cracked at the top. However it was exceptional. I had Suze and a few others come over and they felt that it was the best or one of the best at the event.

Now again neither of these were quantified results, but the number of people who saved seeds of Mountaineer Mystery truly surprised me.

Varieties taste different from year to year. Paul Robeson was delicious in '07 and just so-so in '08. But each variety has a potential. Celebrity has a different flavor potential than Stump of the World. I choose to grow varieties that have a higher "flavor potential" in the hopes that if the soil, temperature, and rainfall are right, I'll have exceptional tomatoes.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2009   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

Amen to what Feldon said.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2009   #9
tomatoaddict

Quote:
tomatoevangelism
What a perfect word!
Old February 12, 2009   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

"To-ma-to-e-van-gel-is-m"

You're gonna drive Worth crazy - - it is an 8 syllable word!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2009   #11
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
In fact I did not expect much as the tomato was very large and cracked at the top.
Being very large and cracked at the top has never slowed me down a bit.

mater