Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2012   #61
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Rip off at shipping prices too!

Ther is no way to justify $6.00-$8.00 for shipping a envelope.I think they(seed companys)make a couple of bucks on the shipping.I myself have sent 20 pages of 8 by 11 paper with only $3.00 of stamps through the USPS(marked media mail).I just got a envelope of seeds that was no bigger than a large x-mas card and had to pay $7.95 for shipping.Learned my lesson.Is anyone out there that works for a UPS,Fedex or seed company that can chime in on this?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #62
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wow, how did I miss this?

Mischka, have you already sent out all the seeds? Can I still send a SASE?

How do they compare with the hybrid?
Old March 23, 2012   #63
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbeaz View Post
Has anyone received the Brandy Boy seeds?
Nothing here either, and I was just kind of wondering if it was just me? It'll be great if they come but certainly understandable if they don't. At this point I'm still saving a place in my seed tray...
Old March 23, 2012   #64
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

same boat Longlake - bet life got in the way of a kind offer - happens sometimes. I was wondering the same a few weeks back.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #65
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Ther is no way to justify $6.00-$8.00 for shipping a envelope.I think they(seed companys)make a couple of bucks on the shipping.I myself have sent 20 pages of 8 by 11 paper with only $3.00 of stamps through the USPS(marked media mail).I just got a envelope of seeds that was no bigger than a large x-mas card and had to pay $7.95 for shipping.Learned my lesson.Is anyone out there that works for a UPS,Fedex or seed company that can chime in on this?
I suspect it is shipping AND handling. Someone has to pull the seeds, label the envelope, etc.

I do think many of them are excessive. I figure even individually filling little ziplocks from my large containers of seeds if I had everything laid out I was filling 20 SASE offers an hour when I was doing offers in the fall. If you estimate $2.95 for the cost of the packaging and postage that means at $7.95 the handling is $100 an hour.

I'm actually glad to see others hadn't gotten the Brandy Boy OP seeds. I was afraid using my business envelopes had caused my SASE to go into the junk mail, but I didn't want to ask. Now at least there is still hope!
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #66
salix
Tomatovillian™

Funny this should be posted just now - I was intending to PM Mischka this afternoon to let him know I had not received the seeds, didn't want him to think I did not acknowledge receipt of same. I had noticed yesterday that Neil G. (retiree) had mentioned he had not received them and that triggered my attention. I know that "things" around here got quite busy right after the offer and 'life happens'.
Also, as stated in post #58, who would complain about a free offer?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #67
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I sent Mischka a pm a couple of weeks ago inquiring if my sase had been lost in the mail and he replied. My sase was on his desk with all the others.

It seems a lot of people already had his address and didn't bother to request the seeds, they just sent a sase and he's inundated with requests.

Claud

Sometimes things don't work out as planned.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #68
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Ditto! Not going to make the cut this year.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #69
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I don't like paying shipping and handling any more than the next guy, BUT, having tried my hand in several small business ventures, I can tell you, it is EXTREMELY tuff to make a decent living running any small business. Until you try it you have no Idea of the overhead involved, including wages for employees, insurance, fees, satisfying govt regulations, rent, leases, equipment, liscensing, fuel, the list is endless, and lastly, hopefully, a small wage for yourself. Why do you think most small businesses fail? Just being real. My first venture failed, with a huge sum of money lost. The second is struggling, but after a year looks like it may work, but not even close to paying the bills yet. And it is not an 8 hour day like it is when you work for someone else, more like 16 hours, 8 days a week!!!

kj

Last edited by kenny_j; March 23, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: add
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #70
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Ditto, Kenny! And I think we spend a third of our overhead just trying to get clients to pay the bills once the work is done. Let's have some sympathy for small businesses.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #71
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Ditto, Kenny! And I think we spend a third of our overhead just trying to get clients to pay the bills once the work is done. Let's have some sympathy for small businesses.
Oh yeah...paying the Vet who gets your mare pregnant was always way down on my clients list! And it always seemed that the wealthier my clients were, the bigger "poor payer" they were. You have not lived until you have had me on the other end of the phone asking for my money...My Husband and Son would go outside! I finally had an agreement with the stud owners tht no "Breeders Certificate" would be issued until the vet and ranch were paid. You cannot register a foal with any breed association without a Breeders Certificate so it was pretty good incentive. I would get a call the next year asking "Where's my Breeders Certificate?" and they got the answer "Where's my money?"

I have quit complaining about postage...I understand that postage rates have skyrocketed and I fully understand what a small business garners in associated costs. I just make darn sure I get everything I want in one shipment.
Old March 23, 2012   #72
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Hey Brokenbar,

What kind of horses do you breed? At one point in my life we bred Hanoverians. I struggle to decide on my favorite breed of horse, but Hanoverians are close to #1 on my list. It also depends on what the horse is going to do... but overall I loved my Hanoverian which was named (what else) Hanna (I wasn't too creative in the name department). For children, I like shetland ponies but I suppose I am biased since that's what I had... and then when I was learning to do showjumping I had a welsh cob, I think those are good to learn with. Anyway, what breed do you work with?
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #73
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

AQHA & APHA Cutting Horses...I had a large breeding facility standing 7 studs and shipping and receiving semen from all over the world. Bred about 300 to 400 mares per year. I never wanted a "regular" vet practice...you get too burned out. I had enough to do in breeding season and then we had cattle that took up the rest of the year (I only worked on our cows...I lacked sufficient admiration for cattle... ) We also had our own stud and raised 15 foals from our mares per year. I really thought I would miss it more but that part of my life is over and it's time for me to do other things. The Husband really misses the cows...I do not even read or subscribe to the AVMA Equine Journal or keep current on all the new science...I find most of it appalling. My friends like to email and chat about cutting horse stuff and I just have no interest any more. There was a time that I would have slit my wrists if I could not make it to the NCHA Futurity in Fort Worth...my friends just cannot understand my lack of enthusiasm. I have "filled the void" with tomatoes
Old March 23, 2012   #74
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers
Default cancelled by the author

Printed to the wrong board by my computer error.

Last edited by Alpinejs; March 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: wrong board
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #75
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

And once again....it got posted to the wrong board. Sorry.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote