Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 22, 2012   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Folks, what is this mold on my squash leaves?

It is on squash and cucumbers (delicata), and is progressing at a moderate pace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1480.jpg (466.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1479.jpg (370.8 KB, 68 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Looks like powdery mildew.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2012   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

scott if you want to try a safe organic cure use fish milk.

fish milk is easy to make, use this as a foliar spray:

o 2 cups of milk i prefer whole milk but low fat is ok
o 1 teaspoon dish detergent NOT ANTIBACTERIAL as it'll kill beneficial bacteria on the plant
o fish emulsion or fish and seaweed emulsion concentrate use the amount specified for 2 quarts of water. i use neptune's harvest and i use 1/2 tablespoon
o 2 quarts of water

spray plants every 5 days when it rains or every 3 weeks when it is dry. spray in the morning on a sunny day as the sun activates the protective properties. do not store this, mix it fresh each time. if i have any left over i spray cukes and squashes. tomatoes also seem to like fish milk, the calcium no doubts is beneficial. there is very little research about this. i don't drink milk so i buy a gallon and let it sit in the basement fridge. it can go beyond the expire date so long as it is not turning to yogurt! if you drink milk, then you'll have a fresh supply all the time.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2012   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can also use greencure which works great for me on zuccini, squash and cukes.
Old June 22, 2012   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If the humidity stays high or it rains then your plants will be totally wrapped up in the stuff. It is already starting on mine. I treat with my bleach solution; but many of the worse infected leaves will die but if you don't stop it the stuff will get on all the new growth under those leaves. It looks like the powdery mildew is pretty widespread on the leaves and the speed with which it spreads will increase quickly in our high humidity.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Check out my gardenweb thread about it, with pics: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...420528.html?10

It is powdery mildew, but not the kind you are used to. It's Podosphaera Xanthi, and it's a special gift from our drought. It actually likes hot and dry weather, and is typically found in the desert southwest. It actually hates rain and water touching it, which is the opposite of the other kind of powdery mildew that is actually caused by wet conditions. Plus it like low humidity, again the opposite of the typical kind of powdery mildew. I don't know if hosing the plant down would help; you could just end up trading one problem for another. It is so hot and dry lately that at least the plant would dry quickly.

Everyone seems to have a different philosophy regarding chemicals. Mine is to use as many as possible, because I have 2 1/2 acres planted and very much need it to not die. I sprayed daconil first. Now I'm going to wait five days and spray with sulphur, then wait five more days and spray with a copper-based fungicide. If you don't rotate different fungicides, resistance can develop. Sulphur is (afaik) organic and has been used for over a hundred years. The guy who is credited with discovering powdery mildew in the 1800's used sulphur to treat it. I don't think any of those fungicides fix the damage, they just protect what healthy growth you have left.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #7
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
You can also use greencure which works great for me on zuccini, squash and cukes.
Greencure works very well for me, too.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #8
royceag
Tomatovillian™

I just received Actinovate for my planting out cocktail (MycoGrow, BiotaMax & Actinovate) and I'm going to apply it as a fungicide today. Fingers crossed it gets rid of this terrible PM we're suffering due to rain & humidity galore. If not, Greencure is next on my list.
Old July 14, 2012   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, I could not find Greencure, and I did nothing. The plants grew out of the problem. But thanks for all the advice - I have some Greencure on order, and will hit it fast next time. I guess I lost about 2 weeks of growth to that mold.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote