Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 7, 2006   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Who can tell me about Fusarium Crown Rot?

I've battled some sort of tomato disease the past 2 years that causes the plants to wilt from the top down. Someone mentioned that Fusarium Crown rot might be a possibility. I had never heard of that one before, and tried to do some Internet research, but didn't come up with a whole lot. I would just like to know typical symptoms in how it presents in a plant. Is it a different organism than regular Fusarium? Or just a different way Fusarium can affect a plant? Can it cause hollow stems? Any information anyone can share would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, I do have a call in to our county agent, and I hope to actually get a plant tested to determine for sure what the problem is. Whatever it is, it has not been nearly as virulent as last year, but it has also been hotter and dryer this year. It sometimes causes hollow stems, but apparently not always.
Old August 7, 2006   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Fert1,

You do know that in this very same forum, there are 'Sticky' Links at the very top of this page; to many places to view photos of tomato problems.

Maybe you can use this too:
Tomatoes - HORT410 - Vegetable Crop

Scroll down the page for more info.
Old August 7, 2006   #3
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace
Fert1,

You do know that in this very same forum, there are 'Sticky' Links at the very top of this page; to many places to view photos of tomato problems.

Maybe you can use this too:
Tomatoes - HORT410 - Vegetable Crop

Scroll down the page for more info.
Yes, I've read the sticky posts. I just haven't found much on Fusarium Crown Rot. Not a lot of information on that specific problem. Thanks for the link.
Old August 7, 2006   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Fert1 wrote:
Quote:
I just haven't found much on Fusarium Crown Rot. Not a lot of information on that specific problem. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome!

But.....
Have you tried it like this? Fusarium Crown Rot & all the other 10 pages afterwards?
Old August 7, 2006   #5
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yep, did the exact same search and read through numerous of the sites that popped up. Not a lot of the type of information I'm looking for as to symptoms, etc.