Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 19, 2017   #1
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Default Early stage BER or something else?

Is this early stage BER or something else? These are from near the top of a German Johnson which is in a 10 gallon grow bag, over 6 ft tall. There were a couple hot days when they got droopy in the late afternoon. However, they are watered every day with Texas Tomato Food. I haven't seen BER since I started Texas Tomato Food, but this is my first year using grow bags.

The times I did have BER it seemed to start right at the blossom. These spots are more toward the sides.

BER.jpg
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cant see a thing.
Okay now I can I had to re log in by right clicking view image and the log in thing came up.

I have no idea what it is.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 19, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't look like BER to me. What does the plant look like, any spots?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #4
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

The plant is over 6 ft tall and loaded with fruit. I have already pulled off 8 mature fruit in the 12-14 oz range. There are at least 35 fruit on the plant and more setting every day. It is trained to two main stem. The mature fruit is fine. It is the smaller fruit showing the problem.

Some of the fruit seems to have a dimple where the spots are. That is, the spots are slightly sunken.

I did have a bit of Early Blight on this plant, but Daconil took care of it. Leaves look fine.

It was also sprayed with DE, pyrethrum, dawn and copper as I have had problems with tomato russet mites on other plants. But I think this started before the spray.
Old July 19, 2017   #5
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

This is to give you an idea of how nice the plant is doing other than for the spotted fruit.

BER2.jpg
Old July 19, 2017   #6
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Great information here http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...TomFrtKey.html

I didn't see any spots on fruits still on your plant so my guess would be spray damage, I have had it happen when I begin spraying more often in the extremely hot months.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #7
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Although BER can affect the sidewall and not just the bottoms, that doesn't look like BER to me. It looks like what happens when fruit rubs against stems or cage/trellis wires or strings as it develops.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #8
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Although BER can affect the sidewall and not just the bottoms, that doesn't look like BER to me. It looks like what happens when fruit rubs against stems or cage/trellis wires or strings as it develops.
I was going to write the same thing! I've got a Fleur de Reagir that was bumping the cage, and its underside is similarly blemished.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote