Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 8, 2007   #1
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Default Bird problems

I've had problems with birds ruining a lot of my 'Maters as they ripen. Last year I put a net over them, but the birds were persistent. They pecked holes in the netting and found small gaps around the edges. I know mockingbirds are one type causing trouble because a few of them got stuck in the netting.

Has anyone else had problems with birds? I'm thinking about trying a faux hawk to keep them away. Any other suggestions to control our fine feathered friends?
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have mockingbirds too and I think I've tried almost everything, except a gun. The most tedious thing I've tried is placing a knee high stocking over each and every tomato as it began to blush. They still pecked holes in them. I bought some cheapo red plastic Christmas balls in December. I'll hang them in the garden before any of the tomatoes are really ready and hopefully the birds will peck at them and lose interest by the time the real ones are turning. Do I think this will work? Not really, but it's cheap enough that I'm willing to try it. Good luck!
Old March 8, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Shelly and Roy's Bird Cage solution
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Birds are typically not fond of maters for the eating qualities, but for the water
they contain.
Try providing your neighborhood birds another source of water (ie. bird bath) and
I'll bet they leave your maters alone.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Except for the mockingbirds Lee, I have 2 birdbaths with a drip that the birds love and I keep it clean. The mockinbirds dont eat my toms, they just poke holes in one after the other. Netting has to be the way to go
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have a bird bath too and it hasn't helped. I have heard that they peck holes in the fruit to attarct bugs to the tomatoes, then come back and eat the bugs.
Old March 8, 2007   #7
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

I thinking about trying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Repellent...883537-4828656

Old March 8, 2007   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have the hooting owl and the plastic blow up snakes and those didn't work either. I hope you find a solution and share it with me!
Old March 8, 2007   #9
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Lots of folks string shiny cd's and aluminum pie tins around the plants. The reflections, the motion when they swing in the breeze, and the noise when the pie pans clatter against a stake or tomato cage are supposed to scare the birds.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Man, I must have fearless birds! I've done the CD thing, the reflective ribbon thing, the Ziploc bag of water thing. What kills me is they don't even eat the tomato, they just ruin it and fly off.
Old March 8, 2007   #11
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Get some dogs. Birds don't dare even fly over the backyard or my one dog barks at them as to warn them of the no fly zone! I can't keep them out all day because I work, but when they are outside for long periods of time, nothing comes into the backyard!
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #12
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Had good success with baseball caps, attached to hide the fruit inside... a whole mater patch of caps soon freaks the birds right out... and you can collect 'em for nix.

Last edited by Grub; March 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #13
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the good ideas! I found a good article that covers a lot of options: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...98-035.htm#Why
It's focus seems to be for larger farms, but some of the ideas are still useful for suburban gardeners. It says that stationary owl and hawk repellents typically don't work for very long. They suggest netting can be very effective. I guess I'll try that again, maybe with a better quality net. I also found a website that carries a lot of bird repellent products: http://www.biconet.com/birds/. I haven't ordered from them yet so I don't know if they are reputable.
JR