Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 8, 2013   #16
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
I only added honey to encourage root growth not at the graft point but that might be worth trying.
what was was your honey dilution formula?

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #17
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I am trying this. To make the honey a rooting hormone agent you will need to take a few very simple steps: 1) boil 2 cups of water 2)add 1 TBS(tablespoon) of honey 3) Let mixture cool then put in an airtight container 4) Store out of light, either sunlight or artificial 5) Dip cutting in solution then pot up, no real need to put baggie/plastic over cuttings
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #18
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread Delerium!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2013   #19
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Okay so its been a few days since i grafted the peppers. Here is a short quick update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepper_graft_crazyness.jpg (188.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg pepper_grafts.jpg (342.2 KB, 33 views)
Old September 9, 2013   #20
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

So far, it's looking good!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #21
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Next step graft Tomato Root stock to Pepper scion - why to speed up rooting process. Since peppers take forever to root - i have decided to try a few grafts with peppers with tomato root stocks.
Old September 10, 2013   #22
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Good Morning friends! So its been a few days since i grafted a Pepper scion (yellow Bhut Jolokia) on to Tomato Rootstock. So far it looks good (keeping fingers crossed).

I am kinda excited about this because the root system of a tomato plant is much more vigorous than a pepper plant - Can't wait to see how this affects the scion portion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pepper_tomato_graft.jpg (185.7 KB, 23 views)
Old September 10, 2013   #23
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Looking good! I started a triple graft yesterday on a Carbon rootstock. Not quite sure if I was doing the no-root grafting correctly or not...... I took a decent sized cutting that I'd rooted quite a while back, cut the stem near the soil line, and stuck the rootless plant into a container of moist DE. I left one or two carbon petioles, then on two remaining leaders, I grafted a ping-tung eggplant scion and a nora pepper scion. I got a little carried away so only one small leaflet left on the pepper stem, but it's all looking OK today. I'll let you know if it survives!

BTW, in your photo, are you still using DE - the grain size looks larger than I remember....

(Plan to post later on your triple variety thread re: the humidifier)

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #24
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Delerium,

Looking good! I started a triple graft yesterday on a Carbon rootstock. Not quite sure if I was doing the no-root grafting correctly or not...... I took a decent sized cutting that I'd rooted quite a while back, cut the stem near the soil line, and stuck the rootless plant into a container of moist DE. I left one or two carbon petioles, then on two remaining leaders, I grafted a ping-tung eggplant scion and a nora pepper scion. I got a little carried away so only one small leaflet left on the pepper stem, but it's all looking OK today. I'll let you know if it survives!

BTW, in your photo, are you still using DE - the grain size looks larger than I remember....

(Plan to post later on your triple variety thread re: the humidifier)

Anne
yes Ann I am still using DE - i use both the finer and more chunky granular. I like the granular one better and its also much cheaper 6 bucks for 25lbs. Ultrasorb is finer still works but don't like it as much as the granular one. I just had the finer stuff so i used that.