Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old March 11, 2010   #16
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Happy Spring to all of my CHOPTAG friends.
IF you have extras to share, I would be interested in the following:

Jerry>>> Vinson Watts--Guido--Paul Robeson--Box Car Willie--Wes and
Tennessee Heirloom.

Terry>>> Fritz Ackerman-- Spudatula Black and Spudakee Purple

Gary >>> Hege German Pink

I'll have plants to share--just don't know what as yet.

Thanks to all.

Dave in Columbus, where the last of the snow is GONE !!!!
Old March 13, 2010   #17
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

If everything germs well, here's a list of varieties I'll have available.

JD's Special C-Tex
Black from Tula PL (Spudatula)
Black Cherry
Snow White Cherry
Cuostralee
Gajo de Melon
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Lynwood
Coyote
Tom's Yellow Wonder
Marianna's Peace
Striped Roman
Black Krim
Spudakee Purple
Box Car Willie
Berkeley Tie Dye Pink
Stump of the World
Black Mtn Pink
Canestrino

Looking for Lescana if anyone is planting it
Old March 13, 2010   #18
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,
I thinik it was me that grew Lescana last year. I'll start a plant for you if I still have seed. And I think I do. I'll check.
Earl
Old March 13, 2010   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl.....you're the best
Old March 14, 2010   #20
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Default I like to cook!!!!

Hi Jerry,

Although I won't have seedlings, I sure do like to cook (and I'm told it's pretty good stuff), and I will be very glad to bring food to the plant swap in exchange for some seedlings.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Hey Crispy,
The overall goal is to swap tomato plants. That being said, every year we have folks show up who don’t bring seedlings. Most of those folks do however bring FOOD.
I have not heard of anyone accepting money for plants at our swap but I’ll be glad to set a president. I’ll only charge $50.00 a plant.
So if you don’t have any plants and don’t like my price you can always bring FOOD.
Old March 14, 2010   #21
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Earl's Offering

CHOPTAG Plant Swappers/Sharers
Here’s what I have so far to share. Numbers at end of name means how many plants I have to share. So get them before they’re gone. If anyone wants any of them I’ll edit and put your name below plant’s name so it will be easier to keep up with who gets what.
Earl

Gregori’s Altai =4 left
1 to Tim

Kimberly =4
1 to Tim

Lime Green Salad =3
1 to Tim
1 to Amy

Mano =5

Polish Dwarf =3
1 to Tim

Praleska =8

Tumbling Tom Red =6

Red Robin =4

Plant info incase plants are new to you.

Gregori,s Altai 67 days Ind. Siberian Slicer. Large 4, purple/red, 8-10 oz smooth meaty fruits. From the Altai mountains near China. Siberian variety that originated in the Altai Mountains on the Chinese border. Tall plants are heavy producers of 8 to 12 oz. pink-red beefsteak tomatoes. The flavor is sweet yet acid and just delicious, with harvests continuing over an incredibly long season. Indeterminate. 67 days.

Kimberly [Craig LeHoullier info>>>] Bill Malin mystery potato leaf, 7-May planted; ripe on Jun 15 - 38 DTM [Days To Maturity], expected pink fruit got red, healthy, fruit set Incredible, healthy, will be a large cherry or small salad. 4 feet tall, loaded with red round small fruit, ripening , the early stalwart, ping pong ball red sweet fruit, lots of them and early.] -buds on 2-26-06, 40 days from planting seeds.

Preleska. [Andrey info >>>]early, determinate red, introduced by Belorussian Institute of Vegetable Gardening. 3-4-5 oz. Good taste, 106 Russian days [to ripe fruit from germination], meaty, round, very tasty, 12-15 fruit in a cluster, 24" , F resistant, Belarusian 60/150/7

Lime Green Salad--- Diminutive plants bloom with bouquet-type sprays followed by loads of small lime green tomatoes that ripen further to amber. 3 to 5 oz. fruit is chartreuse inside and full of juice and good, tangy flavor that is somewhat spicy. This is a wonderful variety for growing in containers since plants stay small yet provide a big harvest. If planting in the garden, put these in front as an attractive border. Very tasty and novel variety. Determinate. 58 days.

Mano: [55 days, short determinate that ripened earlier than SFT for me. Tastes Great! From Gezain in Hungary. via Brian Sanders, Oklahoma:] [Mano determ. 50-60 gramm a very early rapidly growing excellent inner qualities]

Polish Dwarf [Victory Seeds Co. info]
60 days, tree-type — An early season, tree-type plant with rugose leaves, it reaches 24 to 30 inches tall and produces one to four ounce, red, globe-shaped fruits that are slightly indented at the stem end. Very productive and keeps producing throughout the season. Originally from Poland, our parent stock source was donated to the USDA's gene bank in February of 1965. The USDA ARS accession number PI 304398.

Barbee, here is what info I have on Lescana:
Lescana
75-80 days, indet., regular leaf plant, good yield of large red beefsteaks, 8-17 oz, good old-fashioned flavor, don't let it overripe - it's gets mushy, best flavor when yellow shoulders still show and the fruit is firm, from Geza Korbely, Hungary 2004, Romanian heirloom
Lescana? Giant Romanian pink heirloom

Last edited by Earl; April 14, 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: update
Old March 16, 2010   #22
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello Just started my seeds last weekend.Got a mystery seed swap coming . So no real list yet. After dunping my tray of sprouts last year I am shy about listing . But May 8th is great. See you there. Susan aka tootaloo
Old March 17, 2010   #23
pete
Tomatovillian™

Man, this is gonna be great!!!
Pete
Old March 20, 2010   #24
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello the tomatoes and peppers are up. I will wait 2 more weeks till I post my tomatoes. But right now have alot of Chrekee chocolate,hillbilly,ding wall scotty, nebroska wedding tomatos and rebecca and bulgarian carrot pepper.Don.t know about food. Susan
Old March 25, 2010   #25
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Helloooooo, Mr. President!
If you don’t mind, I’d like one each of
Carbon,
Lipstick
and Fat 'N' Sassy

And 1000 each of the others. Thanks!
Earl
Old March 26, 2010   #26
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I hear Jerry has hired an 18-Wheeler to bring those several thousand transplants to you Earl. Great deal....I always knew you could grow 15,000 - 20,000 plants no prob! That equates to approximately 500 TONS of tomatoes! Hope you have enough for a couple of BLT's!
Old March 29, 2010   #27
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Dukerdawg, with no answer to my request it looks like I may have a hard time getting the first 3, much less the few 1000s!
Old March 30, 2010   #28
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I have all requests under advisement. Potting up and slight growth are required prior to firm commitment.
Old March 30, 2010   #29
pete
Tomatovillian™

I usually don't start my seeds until April 15. How big are your seedlings going to be may8??? I don't want to show up with the littlest ones.

I plant out 3-4 th week of may. My plants are only 6-8" when I plant. Am I late??

Hot peppers sprouted!

Pete
Old March 30, 2010   #30
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

IMHO, yes you are late. I start in mid March. In past years I have waited until the second weekend in May to plant out. My plants are about a foot tall if I follow this schedule.

This year I started on March 14th. I’m going to plant about 6 or 8 plants out on May 1st and hope for the best. Most years we don’t get any killing frost after late April. I figure I can cover 6 or 8 plants but not the 40 I intend to have this year.