Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 23, 2017   #1
Iochroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato gene interaction paper on "jointless" trait

Saw this over at phys.org
Thought it might be of interest to some of you more serious breeders.
https://phys.org/news/2017-05-fine-t...unleashes.html
Iochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #2
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iochroma View Post
Saw this over at phys.org
Thought it might be of interest to some of you more serious breeders.
https://phys.org/news/2017-05-fine-t...unleashes.html
Wow very cool,thanks I visit the site sometimes but I missed this.

I've achieved a similar effect by crossing multiflora(s) with normal type inflorescence plants,the resulting F1 had increased branching of inflorescence and a normal(3) number of leaves between each one.But...the branching is unpredictable,sometimes inflorescences remain a simple raceme and I've only done 1 such cross,but next year there will be dosens to test out.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

I had a strange thing happen with one of my lines last year that produced much bigger clusters than I expected. A friend is growing them this year and the same thing is happening in the next generation - she counted 38 blossoms in one cluster. Maybe some epistatic effects prevented that from expressing in the parent plants.

Of course it's a tradeoff between cluster size and fruit size and how much the plant can bear...
Often thinking about how to reduce risk and also maximize yield. Large fruit seem to have the best yield potential, but every fruit loss is significant. For a medium sized fruit, risk is reasonable, but you may want a larger cluster to make up the weight.... at the smallest cherry size it is almost impossible I think, to produce enough cherries per cluster to match larger fruit. ...Pounds per cluster is an important index in my mind.

I sort of have a rough goal of producing a pound per cluster, as a reasonable production for any plant. Pounds per plant or pounds per season is useless to me, since we have a much shorter season and also mostly greenhouse therefore limited space as well as time.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote