Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2019   #16
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I just like to play with weird ideas that pop into my head, like this coffee filter thing. I just have to see if ideas will work. "Inquiring minds want to know!" Right after playing with filters I just went ahead and picked all the blushers and they're in a tray on the kitchen table.

I've never noticed a difference in the taste between ripe and "almost ripe" tomatoes and I'm sure as heck not going to get into THAT controversy! But I do think that there's some point at which they taste like store bought winter tomatoes if picked too early. That whole evaluation will vary according to a gazillion factors (individual taste, variety, etc). As Gilda Radnor would have said, "Tawk amongst ya'selves".

The big tomato in the first photo is Warrior and the clusters are Early Girl.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #17
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'd need oodles of tulle bags to protect all my tomatoes. One year, something was eating only the low-hanging ones (bunny?). I put two low-hangers in tulle bags. One morning, the tomatoes-still in tulle bags- were on the ground and well-chewed. Sigh.

We have a small pond and I have not seen many pecks in my toms. I'd be in the "Pick them at first blush" crowd.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The munchers/peckers seem to like the 3/4 ripe ones so I'm going to pick them at half ripe.
Old July 6, 2019   #19
ewm12
Tomatovillian™

I think I’d rather deal with birds than hail.
ewm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #20
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

I got these for a quick insurance policy angainst pests. I’m not sure how effective yet, but to me worth the price

ANCIRS 25 Pack 8x12 inch Fruit Protection Bags, Net Barrier Bag with Drawstring, Reusable Nylon Mesh Garden Netting Protection Bag for Plant/Fruit/Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5ZJJ7N..._ViriDbQFQ9CS0
Guavatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019   #21
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

wow
I could not imagine wrapping every tomatoe in one of those 'protection bags'.
how do you spell gimmick?
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #22
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Would those bags even fit over large clusters of tomatoes?

BTW, after I set out a big plastic dish (the kind you put under big pots) next to the plant that was hit the hardest and filled it with water, the pecking on the tomatoes ceased. Coincidence? Possibly. Or not.
Old July 17, 2019   #23
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Would those bags even fit over large clusters of tomatoes?

BTW, after I set out a big plastic dish (the kind you put under big pots) next to the plant that was hit the hardest and filled it with water, the pecking on the tomatoes ceased. Coincidence? Possibly. Or not.
That’s what I did. I would never use it for one tomato, but clusters and starting bush beans
Guavatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #24
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I do not vine ripen anymore.
I have been averaging 1 loss for every 8 picked, but I have so many coming off that I don't mind.
I have been leaving the nibbled fruit still on the vine. I will remove the fruit if it's close to any other maters and place right in the bed.
I sometimes put the eaten fruit on the fence, this seems to be working as the critter comes back daily to eat more of the same fruit. I'll even put over ripe fruit on the fence.

My thought process is that if they are interested in easy pickings, the half eaten fruit is their best choice, If I remove that fruit, there is a greater chance of them going after another "intact" tomato.

And as far as eating the ones that the critters nibbled on is OK if you are ready to eat the tomatoes right then and there.

What I was doing last year with the nibbled fruit was, cut off the eaten end, slice, season and dehydrate into Sun Dried tomatoes. Also cut off the nibbled end, freeze and make into canned sauce in the fall.

I don't let them get any riper than the ones pictured below, but sometimes you just miss a few.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote