Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 26, 2017   #151
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Carolyn, the seeds of Ramallet Bombeta multiflora I sent to you in late August 2016. (I think the shipment was only with these seeds). I went on vacation and my son send that envelope with the seeds to you . You got the seeds as you write:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=MrBig46
Vladimír
Vladimir, I was looking through the seeds I still have here at home and found an envelope sent to me on Aug 24th, 2016, and on the front I had written Goldkrone and Bombeta,with a ? but there were no seed in the envelope.

And now I don't even know where my Rubinka seeds are, perhaps,I hope, in the back room.

Yes, I must try to get to the back room and see what I can find.I packed some seeds for the seed producers back there and some just sitting in my computer chair here using the 2017 SSE annual as my table..

Carolyn, who doesn't know why, but just loves multifloras.
Old September 28, 2017   #152
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'm still trying to grow some tomatoes that would last at least until January.
Ilex promised to write something about tomatoes Colgar, but nothing yet. For example, I do not know when to harvest these tomatoes. So I'm trying to experiment. This year I have beautiful tomatoes Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardasar. I have them under the roof and the bad weather (the last two weeks it rains and it's cold) has no negative impact on them.
The fruits are hard and heavy (100 g) when I take them into my hand, so I feel like I'm holding a stone. A large proportion of the flesh, but not as juicy as in tomatoes. The taste of these tomatoes is a little acid now. I hope that some sugars will be created during the storage period. It would probably be interesting to try to dry these fruits now.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1759.jpg (339.3 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1763.jpg (227.5 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1765.jpg (239.7 KB, 431 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #153
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

You must harvest the "Colgar" now. It will be hard, but it is ripe. I had 3 kinds from the Balearen in clutivation...very good ones. The taste was fruity and you can keep them till January.

asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #154
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I'm still trying to grow some tomatoes that would last at least until January.
Ilex promised to write something about tomatoes Colgar, but nothing yet. For example, I do not know when to harvest these tomatoes. So I'm trying to experiment. This year I have beautiful tomatoes Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardasar. I have them under the roof and the bad weather (the last two weeks it rains and it's cold) has no negative impact on them.
The fruits are hard and heavy (100 g) when I take them into my hand, so I feel like I'm holding a stone. A large proportion of the flesh, but not as juicy as in tomatoes. The taste of these tomatoes is a little acid now. I hope that some sugars will be created during the storage period. It would probably be interesting to try to dry these fruits now.
Vladimír
On a photo of September 27, two tomatoes are harvested with others sometime around the tenth of September. One of them tasted and I wrote something about my taste. Yesterday, I tasted another of those tomatoes (I chose the seeds - a sacked flower). The taste was even better, somewhat sweeter. Then I noticed that one of the remaining tomatoes is on the original picture so I photographed them again. This tomato did not change at all in a month. This tomato has not changed for a whole month. It's still hard, its color has not changed. I'd rather taste it, but I'll keep it as long as possible. Meanwhile, I can eat a lot of others, which I later harvested.
Vladimír
PS.: Another tomato selected for 2018
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1785.jpg (217.4 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; October 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old October 23, 2017   #155
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Something for lovers of multiflora and also colgar
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1227.jpg (333.5 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1255.jpg (311.3 KB, 382 views)
Old November 25, 2017   #156
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This looks like tomato today for more than two months in a room with 18 ° C (65 ° F). The color is still the same just today I had to use the flash.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1791.jpg (136.0 KB, 352 views)
Old December 4, 2017   #157
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Season 2018
For peace in the family and because I no longer care about all indeterminante tomatoes, I will limit the number of plants in half. I will grow forty Spanish tomato plants. The vast majority of them will be varieties that prove to me and I really like them:
Rosa de Huesca (4 plants)
Zamorano (4)
Salobre (4)
Gallego (4)
Ramallet Pequeňito Mallorca /multiflora/ (4)
Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardassar (2)
Ramallet Bombeta /multiflora/ (2)
Roteňo Andalucia (2)
Negrillo Almaguera (2)
If nothing bad happens, then these twenty-eight plants should be enough to cover my family's tomato consumption from July to October.
So far I do not know which varieties will be planted on the remaining twelve sites. It should be tomato especially photogenic, relatively unknown and without any information on Tatiana Tomato base. I will grow them primarily for fun. I was unsuccessfully trying to get some seeds on the Spanish e-bay, but there was not much interest there, and I probably stay with tomato seeds which sent to me by Baikal. I will make a selection of these varieties (some have already tried in the unfortunate year 2016 when all the tomatoes suffered from a disease like verticilium):
Macizo Montserrat
Morado de la Cabrera
Rosa Sierra Aracena
Negro Sierra del Segura
Rosa Aragon
Moruno
Plano de Erandio
Moruno de Pastrana
Rosado de Pastrana
Huevo de Toro
Tomate del Lugar Pombriego
Robledillo de la Jara
Extremeňo (but I do not have the seeds anymore - it's a pity)
Vladimír
Old December 21, 2017   #158
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1823A.jpg (268.4 KB, 272 views)
Old December 21, 2017   #159
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About Huevo de Toro,which should be Huevos de Toro,aka,Bull's Balls, of which there are two.

Tania's history is not right as to exactly where it came from and how it ended up being called

Couilles de Taureau, same thing although in French.

I'll be curious to see what color you have since Huevos de Toro is just a general name and was/is comes in different colors like pink and orange as well as red.And not all reds would be the same,nor the pinks nor oranges, etc.

No different,really, than the Costolutos from Italy where the word Costoluto means ribbed in Italian and we have

C fiorentino,from Florence
C. genovese,from Genoa

... and 3 more.

It's been discussed here at TV how a red one ended up in France, where the name was changed to French, where I first saw that on Reinhard Kraft's superb site in Germany, where I traded him for it since I had been sending him my newest and best each year and then I got to pick new ones off of his site.

Vladimir, you know how much I love Spanish and Portuguese varieties since when the Spanish returned to Europe they did bring back seeds with them and through cross pollinations and mutations those two countries have the greatest diversity since they've had the longest time than elsewhere to get that diversity.

You get your seeds from Baikal,Spain,island of Mallorca,while I get mine from Ilex in Spain, well also you as well,thanks so much and I've sent you just a few you didn't have..

Someone else is now getting seeds from Baikal, I thought we were going to share, but to date, that hasn't happened.

I hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old January 4, 2018   #160
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Today I ate three last tomatoes Ramallet Pequeńito Malorquin (the little ones). Indeed my taste, so this year I'm going eight plants. That cut tomato had less juice and tasted less than the others
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1835.jpg (277.5 KB, 232 views)
Old February 16, 2018   #161
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I will grow this Spanish tomato.
Zamorano (4)
Salobre (4)
Gallego (4)
Rosa de Huesca (4)
Ramallet Pequeňito Mallorca / multiflora / (4)
Ramallet Bombeta / multiflora / (4)
Roteňo Andalucia (2)
Negrillo Almaguera (2)
Macizo Montserrat (1)
Morado de la Cabrera (1)
Rosa Sierra Aracena (1)
Negro Sierra del Segura (1)
Rosa Aragon (1)
Moruno (1)
Plano de Erandio (1)
Moruno de Pastrana (1)
I already have the seeds. I will be sown in early March.
Vladimír
Old February 16, 2018   #162
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír
Old May 18, 2018   #163
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I already have planted all indeterminant tomatoes, eighty plants.
Of that, half are Spanish tomatoes, the varieties I have already written. In addition, Kumato and Mini Kumato.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2031.jpg (559.6 KB, 150 views)
Old May 18, 2018   #164
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Vladimir, here's what's happening with me right now.

A local person named Rob has raised my tomato seedlings for me for many many years. He sent me an e-mail of his new wife in the church where they got married,her name is Anastatia.

He said he would be able to grow some seedlings for me for this summer,I packed up a lot of newer varieties,many from Shawn's and my seed offer in the Trade seed sub forum.

So what happened?

Rob never found the time to come and get seeds from me.

So what happened?

I had to find a place where they sell tomato PLANTS, I called the only two that were near me. I never thought that would happen, but Agway DBA as And J Enterprises had some Bonnie plants at $4/plant. Freda picked them up today and brought them up here, the plants look great but they won't go out until early June,weather permitting.

So here's what I was able to get,please cry with me.

Grape(Tami G)
Big Boy F1
Red Beefsteak Heirloom ( whatever that is)
Husky Cherry Red F1
Cherokee Purple
Big Beef F1
Juliet Roma Grape.

Yes, I know what each of them is except for that red heirloom one,but me growing so many F1's, but what choice do I have.

Now if Freda will only spray the foliage with Daconil when I ask her to do that, fertilize them when I tell her too, well,I'm asking a lot

No Bombeta,no multiflora's, when Rob first contacted me there would have been time to start with seeds, but it didn't happen b/c he's been so very busy getting his land converted so he can grow stuff there.His brother Michael lives nearby and has a huge commercial operation,lots of greenhouses and sells to restaurants,hotels, etc.

I ordered two of each, will give 4 to Dave,one of my mail delivery persons,since if it wasn't for him I would never have had any tomatoes last summer.

Rob is terrific at germinating seeds and raising seedlings, always brings too many, so Dave came up here with boxes twice and had lots of plants out last summer that did just great and brought fruits to me,thank heavens.

Carolyn,had she not ordered those plants, it would have been the first time in about 40 years that wherever she lived/worked, she always had tomato plants out somewhere that she raised from seeds she had sourced.
Old May 19, 2018   #165
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh Carolyn, that's awful! I'll grieve with you. Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't grow any of the tomatoes I'd planned.

Are there Tomatovillians living near Carolyn that have extras? Or who could spare cuttings?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote