Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old December 7, 2016   #31
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

My go to favorites are listed in this thread, that can change though. I highly recommend trying suggestions that many different market growers use. I grow less greenhouse tailored tomatoes, several of my friends up here grow them. I like using heirlooms, they like Dutch varieties, so it comes down to what you like, and if you can make it work for you, in your area.
I think you will find that many varieties yield well, but there are many other factors to consider, taste and eye appeal are probably one and two for me, nice yields is good too. I sell them freshly picked, so shipping ability is down the list.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #32
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

This year I am trialing a couple of new varieties for market potential. I got some seed from Cole Robbie of Bradley, and Russian, I got a BW from Ted, trying Daniel Burson, and a few others also. I also ordered up some Big Dena seeds, they sure get good reviews as a greenhouse variety, and a guy up the road grows Tomimaru Muchoo, another nice GH variety with market qualities.

What are you guys trying this year?
Old January 26, 2017   #33
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Many suggestions from you, but here is what I have seeds for that's new to me. Spring crop will be for trial. I will then make some choices later for fall crop.

PINKS:
Brandy Boy
Brandywine Sudduth's
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
New Big Dwarf
Mrs. Maxwell's Large Italian

PURPLE/BROWN/whatever they're technically supposed to be called:
Cherokee Purple
Indian Stripe (not sure if it is PL or RL, but purchased from TGS)

RED:
Chapman
Cosmonaut Volkov
Delicious
Mat-Su Express
Red Jazz 1,2,3 and 4

ORANGE/YELLOW
Brandywine Yellow, Platfoot
KBX
Orange Jazz
Sunrise Jazz

GREEN:
Chef's Choice Green
Cherokee Green
Green Berkeley Tie Dye

Oh yeah, and I few big dena which I've grown and liked. It is a good control variety for novice bag culture growers like me.

Last edited by PureHarvest; January 26, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #34
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Many suggestions from you, but here is what I have seeds for that's new to me. Spring crop will be for trial. I will then make some choices later for fall crop.

PINKS:
Brandy Boy
Brandywine Sudduth's
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
New Big Dwarf
Mrs. Maxwell's Large Italian

PURPLE/BROWN/whatever they're technically supposed to be called:
Cherokee Purple
Indian Stripe (not sure if it is PL or RL, but purchased from TGS)

RED:
Chapman
Cosmonaut Volkov
Delicious
Mat-Su Express
Red Jazz 1,2,3 and 4

ORANGE/YELLOW
Brandywine Yellow, Platfoot
KBX
Orange Jazz
Sunrise Jazz

GREEN:
Chef's Choice Green
Cherokee Green
Green Berkeley Tie Dye

Oh yeah, and I few big dena which I've grown and liked. It is a good control variety for novice bag culture growers like me.
Nice list. I have not tried the Jazz series yet, have Orange Jazz for this year, and have not tried your GWR list either.
Old January 27, 2017   #35
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

The guy I hope to supply wants mixed colors, so I thought I'd try some greens. Plus beryl beauty was one of my faves last year and was the first gwr I ever grew or ate so I wanted to try some more.
I bought the jazz experimental package from Fred last fall to try the 4 red jazz after hearing so much good stuff about orange jazz. He threw in sunset jazz too which is marbled red and orange inside if I recall his note correctly.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017   #36
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Mat-Su Express is the best tasting red tomato I have ever grown. I get a lot of cat-facing from weather extremes, but I don't care if they sell - I'll eat them myself. Bradley was a close second in flavor. Yield wasn't huge, but the fruit were attractive and uniform.
I'm interested in trying Mat-Su Express this season. With our short summers it may work well and be an eye catcher at the market. Do you know where seeds can be purchased?
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017   #37
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post
I'm interested in trying Mat-Su Express this season. With our short summers it may work well and be an eye catcher at the market. Do you know where seeds can be purchased?
If you check in the "available for trade" section, Cole Robbie was offering them-for SASE if you don't have something he needs.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017   #38
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
If you check in the "available for trade" section, Cole Robbie was offering them-for SASE if you don't have something he needs.
Thanks for the info and thank you Cole Robbie!
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017   #39
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I would send out some more Mat-Su, but my seed inventory is lower than I like. I will be able to send some out in May if that works for anyone.
Old February 2, 2017   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I still have a bunch of Mat-Su, no worries. One of my first thoughts was that after I told everyone how much I liked it, then it would likely be a popular request.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #41
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I planted my Mat-Su last night. Did enough to try a few in grafts as well. Mark do you mind if I use your photos of Mat-Su? I'm not selling any plants but I like to list new tomatoes we are growing in a little flyer/email we send out. Thanks again for the seeds. I'm stoked about this one!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #42
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

THe following is the ramblings of a new to tomatos enthusiast.

This thread inspired me to try a farm stand again despite the less than stellar results last year. And sell a few starts in the spring.

THe varieties include both heirloom and modern hybrids to hedge my bets. I wont list most of the hybrids because frankly their names are too unremarkable to remember. A list of just a few purchased so far----

Big Beef f1
red Brandywine
Delicious
Big Boy
Best Boy

Will try the Wilbur method for several of these. Have several 5 foot CRW cages from long ago. Looking to make a few 7 footers. I dont want to be climbing on ladders as my land is sloped and NOT level, so figure 7 feet in the highest for me. I dont have a green house of any kind, but I sure do look at the horse sheds and envison a makeover. lol The flooring is level in there, too.

I did look at the new dwarf varieties coming out of the Dwarf Tomato project and IMO after much reading, these I would try sparingly. ANd likely sucker a few to see if production would increase with the Indeterminate behavior. There is a list of higher production varieties from the DTP for minimum 10 lbs fruit per plant and an 8 out of 10 for flavor as graded by Craig L. At this time in my life, 10 pounds is too low for all my work.... BUT having said this, I do have a few dwarfs on my list!

Mark,

1. I am assuming that the varieties in your first post, which influenced my seed purchases, is based on performance and flavor. Does that "performance" include high yields ( by weight)
or is flavor more important for your market? ( You have mentioned keeping qualities are NOT a factor given the very short time to market.)

2. Also, how many plants of one variety do you think I need to plant out to get a true evaluation of their production for me in my area. I see many folks just plant one, and this surprises me. Statistically one is nothing. Or is one enough when talking tomatos?

My goal is to maximize yields for my labor. Self suffiency first.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #43
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
THe following is the ramblings of a new to tomatos enthusiast.

This thread inspired me to try a farm stand again despite the less than stellar results last year. And sell a few starts in the spring.

THe varieties include both heirloom and modern hybrids to hedge my bets. I wont list most of the hybrids because frankly their names are too unremarkable to remember. A list of just a few purchased so far----

Big Beef f1
red Brandywine
Delicious
Big Boy
Best Boy

Will try the Wilbur method for several of these. Have several 5 foot CRW cages from long ago. Looking to make a few 7 footers. I dont want to be climbing on ladders as my land is sloped and NOT level, so figure 7 feet in the highest for me. I dont have a green house of any kind, but I sure do look at the horse sheds and envison a makeover. lol The flooring is level in there, too.

I did look at the new dwarf varieties coming out of the Dwarf Tomato project and IMO after much reading, these I would try sparingly. ANd likely sucker a few to see if production would increase with the Indeterminate behavior. There is a list of higher production varieties from the DTP for minimum 10 lbs fruit per plant and an 8 out of 10 for flavor as graded by Craig L. At this time in my life, 10 pounds is too low for all my work.... BUT having said this, I do have a few dwarfs on my list!

Mark,

1. I am assuming that the varieties in your first post, which influenced my seed purchases, is based on performance and flavor. Does that "performance" include high yields ( by weight)
or is flavor more important for your market? ( You have mentioned keeping qualities are NOT a factor given the very short time to market.)

2. Also, how many plants of one variety do you think I need to plant out to get a true evaluation of their production for me in my area. I see many folks just plant one, and this surprises me. Statistically one is nothing. Or is one enough when talking tomatos?

My goal is to maximize yields for my labor. Self suffiency first.
When I try a new variety I plant a couple plants. If I like the plant, I will trial it by growing out several. Taste is first, yield is second. If I sell bland tomatoes it does not matter how much I produce. The varieties I use tastes good and produces good for me. Poor yield does not help the bank, so I suggest finding selections that taste good and will have a decent yield.
Some varieties are too soft, and are not good for markets, most will last at least a few days though.

BVV, of course you can use any pic you want too, the variety has been released, so enjoy.
Old February 3, 2017   #44
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Cool, Thanks Mark!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #45
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Chapman and Delicious pics

Here's a couple of pics of Chapman and Delicious if you have not seen them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1522.JPG (381.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1523.JPG (378.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1524.JPG (359.7 KB, 120 views)