Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old January 30, 2008   #16
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...I ordered New Yorker seeds for growing this year...I was hoping for a somewhat early ripening and good tasting tomato... I guess I'll have to try it for myself to see how it does in MN. After what lumierefrere posted, I may only try one plant of it....in case it's a disappointment .
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2008   #17
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default New Yorker

I had a nice bushy and tasty New Yorker in 2007. It was right up there in production along with my old standby, Aurora. It was the first time growing it for me and I was happy with it.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2008   #18
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your response akgardengirl. Maybe I'll try two plants of it now. I've heard/read at least a few other favorable reports about New Yorker, so I'm intrigued enough to give it a decent try.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2008   #19
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Sue, it was bushy?? Mine are tall and lanky. I believe I got it from Totally Tomatoes originally and have been saving seeds ever since. Maybe mine's not correct.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2008   #20
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

It seems there is both a det. and indet. out there - with the det. being the good one. I purchased seed for something called New York from Pacific Northwest seeds - and it is noted as indet.

Both Tania and Jeff appear to have grown the det. one.

Wonder if there is any way to get seed from original source?
Old February 2, 2008   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'd call it semi-det but certainly not indet and no long vines. We grew it on the farm when I was growing up and it's very similar to Valiant, Bonny Best, aka John Baer,Marglobe, Break O Day,Rutgers and several other such compact plant varieties that were commercial faves many years ago, as well as some of them still being faves.
Old March 28, 2008   #22
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it this year so we shall see. I got my seeds from gourmetseeds.com and this is what they had to say.

"(65 days) BACK FOR 2008! An early, improved version of the old Fireball tomato that is resistant to Verticilium Wilt. An extremely early tomato that produces a large crop of medium sized, round red tomatoes. The tomato fruits are excellent for canning or slicing. A favorite of many of our customers. Determinate. .5 gram approx 75 seeds UNTREATED - $2.39 "

Anybody grow this last year and what did you think?
-Kim
Old March 30, 2008   #23
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Well shoot, like lumierefrere, reckon I got the tall/lanky one too.
The plant in the back ( at the thermometer) is the same one pictured previously ... approaching 5 ft above the pot.
But I do have some fruit set and will rework part of the bigger greenhouse for next winter
I actually have a 4 ft 4 in extension kit for this one ( it was my intention to install it for these plants but my 'roundtoits are still on backorder).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewYorker 003.jpg (159.5 KB, 52 views)
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2008   #24
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default New Yorker

My plant last season was the small bushier one. I grew it in a 5 gal. growbag and was very happy with the results. It produced well up here and I am growing it again this season from saved seeds. My original seeds came from Tania.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote