Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 25, 2016   #16
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Luigiwi, Thank you for the lovely offer but want to try to just go with veggies this season but it was lovely of you to ask

I have Caraflex by the way so it will be interesting for us both to see how we get on here. I am going to do cylindrical beets, hopefully I will get more yield for a small space, and anyway my garden rat seems to eat my beets so I am hoping he won't get the long one LOL

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #17
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Spinach - any popular varieties like Matador (so far the best slow-bolting variety with a fat leaf), Victoria and some from my side of the Ocean like Olbrzyn Zimovy or Zhirlolistnyi.

Garden beet - Cylindra with its elongated roots is a perfect choice when you don't have a room for all veggies. You gonna try it as I see. There are some other beet varieties with the same root shape like Regulski Cylinder, Rywal.

Cucumbers with short vines - there are 2 good Russian varieties: Bushy, Malysh.

Sweet pepper varieties with compact plant type - Winni the Pooh.

And any dwarf tomatoes

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Andrey, I have bought Cylindra beet and I do have Matador spinach a Cucumbers will be in the greenhouse so I am OK with a long English on that one.

I have to say that Winnie the Pooh I have never heard of , I will try to find that one.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
Old March 25, 2016   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne,

Actually I'm the main source of this Moldovan CV Winni the Pooh for US and Canada

Just PM me your address and I will be grad to send you some seeds plus something else for limited space as I used to have got as well as a main problem here

For a great greenhouse cucumber to try I'm gonna send you our Belarusian masterpiece a very crunchy and desease tolerant pickler Verasen. It is great both for greenhouse and outdoor, very crunchy and bears almost until frost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Thank you Andrey, I have bought Cylindra beet and I do have Matador spinach a Cucumbers will be in the greenhouse so I am OK with a long English on that one.

I have to say that Winnie the Pooh I have never heard of , I will try to find that one.

Thank you

XX Jeannine

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 25, 2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old March 25, 2016   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Andrey that is very kind of you I would be delighted to accept them but may I send you something in return. I am quite excited.

Thank you so much I will PM my address.

XX Jeannine
Old March 25, 2016   #21
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Of course, you can I like surprises too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Andrey that is very kind of you I would be delighted to accept them but may I send you something in return. I am quite excited.

Thank you so much I will PM my address.

XX Jeannine

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 25, 2016   #22
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I have a very small growing sqfootage so I'm excited to see how things work out for you! So curious about Caraflex for example! Please update this thread as you go!
Old March 25, 2016   #23
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Yes I will, it seems I am downsizing more and more,, from acreage a few years ago to very large gardens, then community plots now a small area. It is new every time and I am trying so hard to stick to what I have room for which is very difficult.

How are you managing liuigi?

Re cabbage by the way I also have one called Minicole which is a tight round one but small.

XX Jeannine
Old March 26, 2016   #24
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

There is a new variety of cabbage I bought this year called Premio and one called Gonzales? I think I ordered mine from HPS, I think. but they are small and specifically for the small households... which are getting to be more and more at my farmers markets. I also think I still have some seeds. PM me if you want soem prenio is red and gonzales is green. I also did honeynut squash (winter)... I have lots of those seeds too. I will be happy to send you some.
"celeryetta" is a small celery for patio and post, I just put the rest of mine in the germination chamber, sorry.

"toychoy" is tiny bok choi.

"Yummy" OP peppers are a small pendant orange sweet pepper... VERY yummy! You would need to probably put one or two in the greenhouse if you have an early Fall frost. I even have these as very small plants right now and I will be happy to send yo the plants along with seeds incase they don't survive the trip.
Yummy is now marketed as a hybrid, but it is NOT. What a way to get hybrid prices out of an OP seed. I wonder how many of them they do this to.

Patio baby eggplant that someone mention previously is about the size of an egg. I grew those last year but I didn't have enough to actually sell the fruit. One plant may or maynot be enough for a person, because you need to keep picking off the ripe fruit even if you aren't using it. Otherwise it starts maturing the seeds and quits producing new fruit.

I saw a miniature zucchini somewhere, too, but I can't remember where. If I find it I will post it, though.

thats what I can think of for now.
Old March 26, 2016   #25
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Bush Baby zucchini was a good one for me a few years back ......

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7469-bush-baby.aspx

Renee's also has Baby Ball Dutch beets I plan to grow this year ...

http://info.reneesgarden.com/seeds/v...eet-baby-ball/
Old March 26, 2016   #26
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have to jump in and second the Hakurei turnips. The first time I tasted them i thought they were like melons. I grow them every year, they are not much more than 30 days, and they are sweet! But i did have some that got overlooked one summer, and yes, they developed a more turnipy taste. So do try them again, they're the best.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #27
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I love this thread! So many wonderful suggestions! I never knew that all of these mini vegetables existed! Jeannine Anne, if we add strawberries for dessert we're all set!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #28
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

clkeiper, thank you for that info. I think the Gonzales is probably close to the Minicole I have so I am OK for green cabbage, The other one is interesting though, the red one. I ldid try to Google that one but couldn't find it, just a tomato of the same name. I would happily trade you something for a few seeds of that one if I may. Thank you.

If anyone knows of a mini savoy I would love to hear about it.

PNW_D the wee zuchinni sounds good I think I will follow that one up, the beets I have covered but thank you for the info it is much appreciated.

bower, thank you for that info on turnips, that was very valuable to me as I have been trying to find a sweet turnip, I did grow that one a couple of years ago and thought it was a tad peppery but on looking at my diary that was the year we had horrendous heat and my husband was unable to help me so the garden was neglected. I am going to give it another try. Thank you for persuading me .

Deborah, I dare not think of fruit, but I do have a nice rhubarb patch coming up and I love rhubarb mousse made with fresh cream.. We did pull out some ornamental trees last year and replace them with fruit trees at one side of the garden and I do have soft fruit in pots. We actually got a raspberry that is good for pots, I am hoping it does well this year.

I am organizing myself one precious bed for perennial veggies, I had to leave my others when I moved here and I miss them. I was thrilled when my old seeds of Daubenton grew and just yesterday my old seed of Nine Star perennial Cauli has popped. Only 1 seed has grown (my fingers are still crossed) but if I can get that 1 into a plant I can take cuttings from it.

I found a variety of Brussel Sprouts that will grow in a pot a few days ago, I am thinking on that one as I have quite a few already..I forget the name..I will get back to you on that.

I will try to keep this going, and would love to connect with anyone growing for small sizes.

I am growing regular tomatoes in my greenhouse but am also growing micro tomatoes that I will take cuttings from and bring in under lights for the winter.

I am happy to share any seeds I have mentioned if I have some left but my germination on some is iffy as they are all at least three years old.

XX Jeannine
Old March 27, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are 3 pepper plants I've been looking at in the 2016 Tomato Growers catalog:

Mini Bell Pepper Red - grow on compact plants - 1 to 2 inches long and look more like a cherry pepper. They taste good too.

NuMex Easter - An ornamental grows on an 8 inch tall plant.

NuMex Twilight - another ornamental for containers. A Pequin type chili.

I like growing for beauty as much as for taste. That's why those 3 have caught my attention for years now. All 3 are on my 2017 growing list.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #30
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I seem to remember vaguely about the Numex ones from a while back. I have sown peppers though , the Red Bulls Horn has come up but the other one hasn't and that saddens me. It was Triton, the one made to be grown in space so it was a true mini plant. I have a few seeds left so I am going to sow the last ones to day.. fingers crossed folks.

I went through my stash last night to sow cabbages and I am doing.

Caraflex, small and pointed summer one
Minicole. a green round one summer'fall
Capriccio savoy, not mini but not huge and can be planted closer, fall
Kalibos, this is a pointed red that I am hoping I can keep small,, seeds from the UK
Kabuki broccoli, waiting for seeds to arrive from the UK
.. so that is my job for today or tomorrow

Oh and my beloved Mokum carrots will be sown, thay are a delight, so crisp and tender and I can pack those in as I don't want them big
I also have a packet of Parisienne, the small round ones that I will grow in a tub somewhere,
Turnips will be Hakurai

and so we begin!!!!

XX Jeannine