Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 25, 2007   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Tom Thumb Lettuce,

Has any of you ever tried the old variety of Tom Thumb Lettuce, its a realy lovely little lettuce, small and quick to grow.
The whole idea behind it is that you can put a whole lettuce on your plate for yourself and it is just enough for one meal, sweet tasting and fresh, simular to a flat lettuce with a little buttery heart in it.

You can even grow them in pots in your greenhouse or conservatory- one to each five inch pot,

Lovely little jobs.

Cant bear these big leathery iceberg supermarket types. just like cabbage.

By the way- the best normal size lettuce in the world for flavour and crunchyness is without doubt -Webb's Wonderfull- marvelous flavour-very old variety, -only one slight problem, its a bit prone to tip burn and heart rot in the middle of july during humid periods, I once planted forty six of them in a row, and had only ate my way through about ten of them when the heart rot struck -shame because they realy are the best flavoured lettuce.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Michael...its kinda funny...how you askin about Tom Thumb...an Tellin about...Webb's Wonderful. It's a pure dichotomy of Chance...)))

Tom Thumb lettuces are petite, get about 6 inches across at best, squat....low-growing...stout little lettuce plants. The taste is fine, and the crunch...or texture...is wonderfull as well...upon the inner leaves. It's a very mild-flavored (read Sweet) lettuce...that one will always enjoy. Plant a lot of them...tho, because its easy to sit down an eat 3 heads at a time...jus as a salad...)))

Webb's Wonderful...thanks to the grace of a trader here..im gonna be transplantin next week. Never have grown it before. Your words of Praise....got me Ready ...)))
Old February 25, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks for reminding me about Tom Thumb-I ran out last year and need to get some more. I love it. It grows easily for me in a container.
Old February 25, 2007   #4
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Yes-tom thumb is a lovely little lettuce,bit of a job to find the seed though-these days,

Webb's wonderfull, once you have had a webbs-you will never want any other kind of iceberg type lettuce.

There is a local veg shop around here who get the webb's in especialy for locals during the late spring and early summer, and its easy to see which is the webb's -they are the ones that vanish off the shelves first and leave all the other iceberg types still there.

Pigeons love e'm also, I planted a row out one spring, at around twelve noon,-went in for a bite to eat and have lunch, came out half an hour later, and all that was left was the bare stalks sticking out of the ground, if I had -had a scatter gun with me at that time I would definatlly have been having pigeon pie for tea.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #5
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tom Thumb this past fall. Grew nicely here. I will definitely plant it again.
How does Tom Thumb compare to Tennis ball?
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote