Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 4, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring Garden

Well, I've done pretty much everything I can do for now. Today I planted sugar snap peas, two kinds of radishes, green onions, three kinds of lettuce and spinach. Indoors, I have my peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, parsley and basil going and now I just sit back and wait to plant anything else for a while. I'm glad this season is underway and looking forward to picking something, anything! Who else has started their spring garden and what do you have in it?
Old March 4, 2007   #2
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default spring garden

Hi,
Ive started spring onions, peas (early onward) peppers, toms, lettuce, carrots and some radish
All these are in the greenhouse except the peppers and toms as it is too cold to put them into an unheated greenhouse.
Old March 5, 2007   #3
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

I think I might start a few onion seeds inside today or tomorrow. Maybe wintersow some flowers.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #4
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I put Sugar Snap and Amish Snap peas in the ground yesterday. I hope to start some tomato and cucumber seeds this weekend.

Boy, was it nice to be outside and play with the soil. It's been a long winter.
Old March 14, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's supposed to be about 78 degrees here today. I wish I had some outdoor chore I needed to do! I thinned cherry tomatoes this morning and I need to move some peppers and eggplant into larger pots today but I have munchkins to watch so I'll be doing that in the kitchen. Between the road and the pool, I can't afford to be distracted at all when the kids are with me out there. Now that it's light out later, I might be able to go do some outdoor work this evening when my husgand gets home and can watch the kids. I do need to cut all my roses back. As of yesterday, all I had up in the garden was radishes. Not even a weed!
Old March 14, 2007   #6
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday was 77* and the soil in the 100 sq. ft. raised beds was just dry enough to till. I planted one bed in Broccoli Rapini, one bed of onion plants and radish seeds, and two beds of cutting lettuce.

Boy, am I sore and tired, but it was so great to get out in the sun!

Lisa
Old March 15, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I went out to water this morning and was happy to see all four kinds of lettuce and my spinach sprouting. I've got radishes all over the place and they're all doing great. So now I'm just waiting on those green onions and my snap peas. Soon, I hope!
Old March 15, 2007   #8
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Guess I was a bit early putting winter to bed...now saying we could see 4-7 inches of snow tomorrow...and a bit further north of me over one foot .

I have the snap and snow peas in...hope they like snow.
Old March 17, 2007   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I seeded Sugar Ann, Sugar Snap, and Caselode peas on Monday. I have broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, and peppers under lights in the basement. The forecast for later this week looks good, so I will probably seed radishes and lettuce then. Can't wait to eat fresh!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good, Ruth. I grow savoy cabbage in my fall/winter garden. I miss it already. But we have a lot to look forward to, huh? Especially those sugar snaps!
Old March 18, 2007   #11
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Been 70 twice this week...I am putting my flats of broccoli , cabbage, and greens into the cold frame...Not brave enough to plant them in the cold frame yet, but getting them out of the house frees up a bunch of space to start potting up tomatoes and more peppers...Onions need a haircut already !

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I sowed green onions directly in the garden and they have yet to emerge. I'm getting impatient.
Old March 18, 2007   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow. I think that I am going to miss Spring this year. The weather went from the 50's F to 77F today. My Swiss Chard went limp and the cabbage flowered.

I have lots of other Winter/Spring veggies in a shaded part of the yard. Hopefully, those don't die of from the heat.

My radish leafs are almost all gone. Apparently, some critter likes these very much. The same goes for the Pac Choy.

The yard is loaded with daffodils and tulips. I am so in love with a Tulip v. "Angelique". It is beautiful. Growing up, I couldn't even find a key chain or mug with my name, so I am super happy to find a flower with my name.

I pulled out LOTS of fennel, dinll and snow peas. They were competing with upcoming and blooming flowers (bulbs). Needless to say, I didn't eat too many snow peas, because my doggies got the bulk of the as treats.

The garlic is looking super and the shallots look okay. A couple of weeks ago, I planted some leek starters. I can't wait to try the leeks. Hopefully, they will be ready (or at least edible) by May 1st. That is when I plan to use that bed for cukes.

Apparently, I am carrot challenged. For the second tme, I have planted them way too densely. I am too dang lazy to thin them out. Next year, I might give Park Seeds carrot tape a try.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We've had real nutty weather like that too. One day it was 83, the next day the high was 47. Yesterday we had two big blast of giant snowflakes for about two minutes each time. We're supposed to go back to "normal" temps tomorrow but it often seems like we just skip spring too, going from cold straight to hot. And I do wish these spring things that haven't come up would get going because I have summer plans for those spots, too.

That's cool you have a tulip with your name, Angelique! I can never find things for Michele with one L.
Old March 18, 2007   #15
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Michele, I have gone over completely to the savoy cabbages (except for the red cabbage). They do so well, tasted good, and look super!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote