Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 24, 2008   #31
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Wow Ray! Better you than me. Hope the corn treated you OK :-)
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008   #32
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, next time you order some sweet corn check out "Sugar Buns". I believe Johnny's carries it as that is where I got mine. It's early and it melts in your mouth. It's perfect for short season area's and it do grow in da ground in Germany.
Lat. 49.26 N, Long. 07.36 E . Ami
Old October 16, 2008   #33
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 of the original earthboxes planted with silverqueen.Im amazed at how fast it is growing,just hope frost will hold out long enough for me to get some.Iwasnt planning on growing any till i happen to see some starter trays with silverqueen about 6in tall at one of the local coop .It was kind of a pain to transplant but i didnt lose a single stalk.I thought i may have crowded them a little to much but so far they are looking great.I think i have about 24 per box.Guess il know for sure in a few weeks when they start to get ears if i over crowded them.I have been giving them tomato tone on a weekly basis but i prolly should get some fertilizer with more nitrogen i suppose.I think il be like ray and be using a few more of my EB for sweet corn next year.Here in florida i should be able to have fresh corn from end of may through december.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2008   #34
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

captn,

Stop using the (expensive) TomatoTone on the corn. It is too low in Nitrogen and you should save it for your tomatoes.

Here is the type of fertilizer you need to be using on corn:

Regarding the number of stalks per container, I have decreased the number per 'Tainer down to 18 as planting any more only crowded out and resulted in a bunch of skinny stalks. As the EarthBox holds 1.5 cubic ft. of potting mix vs. 3.3 cubic ft. in the EarthTainer, I would recommend no more than 12 stalks, if you want a good harvest of full sized ears.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote