Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 5, 2008   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default My winter kale and chard

I cant grow lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, arugula, mache, etc during the spring or summer because of our heat. So I grow them outside and in the greenhouse during the late fall and winter. My kale and chard are beautiful now and Rosalina and I dont let them get too big-we like them not full size to harvest and put in soups, or stir-frys, or just saute with oilive oil and garlic. The first photo is a Portugese Kale, the second is an Italian chard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portugese kale (Small).JPG (34.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg chard small.JPG (38.0 KB, 27 views)
Old December 5, 2008   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Michael -- Great looking greens! What's the difference between Swiss Chard and Italian Chard?

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2008   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

sherry i grew Swiss Chard in a 4x4 meter block for seed last season, as a result the residual seed pops up every where,the beans in the photo are due to be weeded next week along with the Swiss Chard in the photo

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0180.jpg (306.7 KB, 17 views)
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Richard, the birds plucked out most of my Swiss Chard babies last year, so I had very little. And I do love Craig's recipe for Swiss Chard Tart, which we had only once last year. Darn birds! A 4 x 4 meter block would be quite a lot.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #5
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Richard, don't be sad about the volunteers, pull it up and cook it so it won't go waste .
I had lots of Oriental vegetable volunteer and several other leafy vegetables (plus squash,tomato and pepper/chilies)...no problem, either end up on our dining table or go to the compost bin...
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #6
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Your Kale look yummy, you can use the young leaves in the salad too...ohh I am hungry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I cant grow lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, arugula, mache, etc during the spring or summer because of our heat. So I grow them outside and in the greenhouse during the late fall and winter. My kale and chard are beautiful now and Rosalina and I dont let them get too big-we like them not full size to harvest and put in soups, or stir-frys, or just saute with oilive oil and garlic. The first photo is a Portugese Kale, the second is an Italian chard.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sherry-I was unclear-the seed is from growitalian.com and its a chard from Puglia. Chard and Kale are so good, and the nutritional content is so good also. I may try and grow Chard in the shade nest spring, cause we really miss it during the hot months. We like to juice it also-but you need to grow a lot to use it for juice.
Old December 6, 2008   #8
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorite kales is Dwarf Blue Curled Vates. I can keep it going for most of the fall and winter here and it often starts up again in the spring. I like to pull of a handful to eat right on the spot when I go out to the garden in the fall/winter. I have not tried to grow it during the summer here--I think it wouldn't do that well in the heat.

My fall chard got eaten by bunnies.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ruth-Those are some happy bunnies!
Old December 16, 2008   #10
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Tell me more about the Portuguese kale. I love kale, especially in the winter. I grow dinosaur (or Tuscan or black) kale, red Russian kale, and walking kale (aka tree collards) year-round.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2008   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Habitat-I got it from Seeds from Italy. Its pale green, and we saute it whole, stems and all. Excellent taste. What else can I tell you?