Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 28, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default need help with heavy feeders!

Basically I am wondering what the best way to fertilize them is.

When I say heavy feeders I'm referring to corn, cukes, zukes, winter squash, and melons.

The soilless mix I use is listed below (I make it in large batches, each large batch makes 30 gallons per batch).

2-3 cubic feet pine bark mulch
5 gallons spaghnum peat moss
5 gallons perlite
2 cups fertilizer (designed for container gardening....like Osmocote)

I was considering using a combination of compost and slow release fertilizer since they are heavy feeders.

Since I would be using both compost and a slow release container fertilizer (like Osmocote) should I reduce the amount of the container fertilizer by cutting it in half?

If I kept it at 2 cups (with the slow release fertilizer, i.e. Osmocote) per 30 gallon batch and used it in combination with the compost, would I be using too much fertilizer or would it be okay?

The amount of compost I would be using would be small 5-7 gallons per 30 gallon batch.

Last edited by aimeruni; April 28, 2014 at 08:25 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I have recently learned that compost is not too effective in containers...as compared to in-ground or raised beds. Therefore, I suggest a regimen of frequent low-dose feedings of a complete fertilizer. Foliage Pro is one good one...for example.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Raybo grows cukes and corn in his EarthTainers but don't know if he adjusts the amount of ferts he uses for those versus his tomatoes.

Ami
Old April 30, 2014   #4
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I tried some home made earthtainers last year and am switching over to that totally this year. The watering and especially the feeding with the fertilizer strip was so much easier and I had better results overall.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #5
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I have recently learned that compost is not too effective in containers...as compared to in-ground or raised beds. Therefore, I suggest a regimen of frequent low-dose feedings of a complete fertilizer. Foliage Pro is one good one...for example.
I've never used compost but my understanding is that it requires bacteria, worms, etc., to breakdown the organic materials so that plants can use the nutrients contained in the compost. But I could be wrong.

Dan
Old April 30, 2014   #6
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

The compost I would use would be commercial, so it would already be broken down and aged.

Somebody told me if compost is used in small amounts with container gardening, that it won't hurt a soilless mixture in container gardening.

Also I appreciate people taking time to post on my thread, but none of my original questions were really answered; sorry if this comes off as rude, but it's not my intention to do so.

I used a mix in a container that had compost in it, and my root veggies loved it.

As I said, I'd not be using massive amounts of compost, just small amounts.
Old May 1, 2014   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

What size containers are you talking about and are they self watering containers (SWC's) or normal bottom drain type? I think the lack of answers to your questions is most folks here have no experience in growing the type of produce you mentioned in containers.
As far as adding compost to a soiless mixture in the amounts you stated should be no problem in bottom drain containers but SWC's might be a different story.

Check Gurney's for corn fertilizer and others as well.

http://www.gurneys.com/product/gurne...nd-fertilizers

Ami
Old May 1, 2014   #8
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

No the containers aren't self-watering. The containers have holes in the bottom for irrigation, and I will be watering the plants myself. Also I did have one other question; you said using compost in bottom drain containers with the amounts I listed will be fine. Should I reduce the slow release fertilizer (i.e. osmocote) or keep it the same? Typically I use 2 cups of fertilizer (like osmocote) per 30 gallon batch. However, since I'm using compost if I were to keep the measurement at 2 cups, would it over fertilize plants? The main reason I keep asking this is because they are heavy feeders, so I don't know if I should reduce the slow-release fertilizer, or keep it the same with the addition of the compost.

The containers will be 45 gallon size; I can't really get away with anything smaller, without compensating the plant somewhat in the process, which I don't want to do.

I know because I grew two winter squash plants (one per container). One was grown in a 45 gallon container; the other about a 30-40 gallon container. While both plants were healthy, the one in the smaller container wasn't as vigorous as the one in the larger container, and it was noticeably smaller in comparison to the one in the larger container.

Last edited by aimeruni; May 1, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 2, 2014   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I don't think the compost will be that big a player as far as nutrients are concerned especially in bottom drain containers as there will be a lot of leaching going on during waterings.

Remember you can always supplement fertilizer applications during the course of the growing season but you cannot take away. If you don't feel comfortable with 2 cups of osmocote go with less.

Ami