Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2017   #106
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Budding in clusters. The acrid scent is heavenly. 11X-F4-6-2
Just about all the 6-7" are budding. All in tall 4" pots. (about 1/3 more volume
than a red cup). The taller ones, 10-12", are slow to show budding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dfollett budding.jpg (260.9 KB, 246 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2017   #107
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Update on the slowpoke micro. Little brother is about 5.5 inches tall. Big brother is 16 inches. Teeny beginnings of buds on little brother so I expect it will bloom. The pace of growth has picked up in the little one but still very small in relationship to his siblings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7073.JPG (91.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7074.JPG (106.0 KB, 239 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #108
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Come on slowpoke! You can do it!
You may have discovered the first "nano" tomato
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #109
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

"Nano" tomato- I like that! Nanomaters. Beefsteaks, of course.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #110
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Some Young'ens With Potential

Here are three that look promising - at this stage of the game. These photos were taken 53 days after planting the seeds.

Nightshade, the seeds I sent you will be siblings of these.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46X F3 1-1.jpg (182.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 46X F3 1-2.jpg (205.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 46X F3 1-3.jpg (191.6 KB, 219 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #111
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Going back to the original question without reviewing all the posts again...
I would say the ideal micro would be, well, micro, as in 8-10 inch max at the first
flower cluster set. My medium sized plants are flowering ahead of the 'mini's' and the
larger plants.
Like yours above are at 3-4 inches. Ideal? I think so. In hunting a full tray it is difficult,
and fun, to decide who gets potting up.
Pot size? Gallon max but 6-8 inch, (what ever that is), a volume like 3 red cups?...

No support needed, no toppling over. Self supporting to hold fruit on thick stems.
In a home, on a sunny window shelf, table, etc, needing extra support gets fussy, ugly,
and more than most want to deal with. House plants, hanging or free standing,
never really need support.

Good fun. A great winter project I recommend. A 72 cell tray or a 10-10 36 cell by hunting and
culling is a good use for that stagnant winter seed starting set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: png micro toms SML.png (349.1 KB, 195 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #112
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

tallest are setting fruit. not micro at about 18" The medium one is blooming and setting fruit and much more rugose and compact but still about 12"and the little guy is budding at about 5 ". you would never think they were all from the same batch of seeds, all so different. Definitely fun to grow though.
KarenO

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGar...33389516802238

Last edited by KarenO; February 18, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #113
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The Aztek that I like does need a little stake. The fruit are big for a cherry, and the plant I grew had a lot on it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #114
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

My Aztek is yet small, good to know it might need some staking..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #115
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
tallest are setting fruit. not micro at about 18" The medium one is blooming and setting fruit and much more rugose and compact but still about 12"and the little guy is budding at about 5 ". you would never think they were all from the same batch of seeds, all so different. Definitely fun to grow though.
KarenO

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGar...33389516802238
None of mine from this same F3 and a sibling are not coming micro either. Makes me wonder if the "Sun Dwarf" gene is involved - they stay tiny only when they have lots of light.... The parents of these stayed under 12" outside last summer.

I think I'll do some trials this summer. I'll grow siblings from F5 seed of one of these that has disappointed me and keep some inside and grow the others outside. Perhaps, in order to find something that will work inside under lights or on a window sill, I won't be able to count on anything grown outside.....
Old February 20, 2017   #116
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
None of mine from this same F3 and a sibling are not coming micro either. Makes me wonder if the "Sun Dwarf" gene is involved - they stay tiny only when they have lots of light.... The parents of these stayed under 12" outside last summer.

I think I'll do some trials this summer. I'll grow siblings from F5 seed of one of these that has disappointed me and keep some inside and grow the others outside. Perhaps, in order to find something that will work inside under lights or on a window sill, I won't be able to count on anything grown outside.....
Hmm. How does the Sun Dwarf gene work - if you took a cutting and rooted it, you could grow the same genotype in different environments.

Last edited by Hatgirl; February 20, 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #117
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Hmm. How does the Sun Dwarf gene work - if you took a cutting and rooted it, you could grow the same genotype in different environments.
This is all I know about it. This is from a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
The genes I was trying to think of are: "d" (for "dwarf") and "sd" (for "sun-dwarf"). "Sun-dwarf" refers to a trait that only shows dwarfing when there is a lot of light available.....
Great suggestion! Your approach would certainly make for a better test to see if that gene is at work..... Hmmmm...
Old February 25, 2017   #118
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Is there such a thing as a micro indeterminate? As in, it stays small but continues to produce?
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017   #119
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

This winter I grew Red Robin, Pinocchio and Yellow Canary.

Yellow Canary were the first to produce fruit and I thought the taste was great. Juicy and sweet! (I still have to taste a really ripe Pinocchio to see if it compares).

I do have to use a stake for RR and YC, just to keep the heavy load of fruit from toppling the pot.

I bought my Y.C. and P. seeds from Bunny Hop seeds.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #120
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Dan, last fall, I trimmed back and brought into the house some of the very productive microdwarfs that were a nice compact size grown outdoors last summer. Once in the house, all they got was daylight from a south bay window. And we had many grey days without sun, and of course the shorter day length of winter. No doubt they would have done better with some artificial light to supplement. All the micro's developed very long internodes, and grew up around 24" and climbing - much taller than when outside. I had too much trouble fighting mildew, so ended up tossing them just before New Years. I believe lack of enough natural bright sun will affect any tomato plant into becoming unnaturally lanky. I experienced this with indoor plants from the Dwarf Project in previous years too.

I gave a couple of the fall outdoor micros to my sister, and she had the same result, even though she has a nice big sun room. The good news was that she continued to get a few ripening fruit and it was setting more blossoms. But hers had trouble with mildew also, so was tossed after the last ripe tomatoes were picked.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote