Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 11, 2011   #11
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Default float valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn View Post
Raybo, out here in the desert there is a type of cooler that is used extensively due to the low humidity called a swamp or evaporative cooler. It uses a simple float valve for filling the water reservoir that could be easily adapted as another option for automatic filling of the reservoir on your ET to the appropriate height without having to worry about filling every few days. If I ever get around to building some of these I will likely use one of those to keep them topped off. Any thoughts?

btw, here are a few example images

Thanks,
- Aaron
I and others before me have investigated the evap cooler float valve. The biggest issue is the small height of the reservoir compared to the clearance needed to operate the valve. Others have also tried and use the more expensive mini float valve.

I tried an EC float valve in a shallow wide container and connected it to several SWC's with siphon tubing. It worked as long as the siphon did not go dry.

I now use a drip distributor with line to each SWC. The flow of each line can be manually adjusted. Extra water just dribbles out the overflow.

I'll have to sell some tomatoes or something so I can buy the AWS system.

Good Luck,
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote