Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 2, 2014   #1
mari.beth
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate AND Serenade?

I used Actinovate as a soil drench when I first transplanted my seedlings. I used it as a foliar spray one or two weeks after that as per the directions. Then, I switched to Serenade and have been using it about weekly. We recently have had a lot of rain and I noticed some disease spots (I think septoria), so I just sprayed Actinovate on my plants today. I was wondering how often I could use the two products. I was wondering if I could do Serenade in a couple of days, then follow in a few days with Actinovate, and repeat. I also read about Excel LG after it was recommended to me, but couldn't find it earlier in the season. Would that be a good addition / substitution for one of the other products (and, if so, where can I get it?) Any advice on preventing further fungal diseases would be appreciated tremendously!! (Organic methods preferred!) THANKS!
mari.beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Excel LG by Organic Labs was renamed Organocide Plant Doctor last year, look for it by that name. Agri-Fos Systemic Fungicide is the same product made by AgBio and distributed by Monterey. There are some others I believe, the active ingredient is Mono- and di-potassium salts of Phosphorous Acid.
It would not be a substitution for either Actinovate or Serenade since it has no direct effect on true fungi like Septoria or Early Blight. It has been shown to trigger systemic acquired resistance in plants, so it may have an indirect effect at best.
There is no reason why you couldn't use both Actinovate and Serenade, they are two different species of bacteria that populate plant surfaces and produce anti-fungal compounds.
I use Actinovate to control Septoria and Early Blight and It has given me good control itself. I've never used Serenade, but maybe I should try it sometime and see if it increases control.
Septoria showed up a lot earlier this year than in the past, before I even sprayed any Actinovate. I've got to step up my spraying.

RayR is offline   Reply With Quote