Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 14, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default The New EarthTainer III "Convertible" Guide Now Available

After a good run with the EarthTainer II Guide, I have made numerous improvements to the design, simplifying the construction process, and reducing scrap down to a 1 inch piece:

The dual-wall should keep the plant's roots in a more moderate temperature range, and the air "vents" down the sidewalls will bring better air circulation into the Aeration Bench.

Most important has been the adaption of a commonly available Pea Fence, which has the proper aspect ratio for the 31 gallon EarthTainer. With a few bends, the 62 inch cage system simply slides onto the rim (after planting):

And is held in place by 12 compression anchor-points:

The cage folds flat at the end of the Season for easy storage

So, here it is in finished form. Takes about one hour to build:

Here is the direct link to the new Guide:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #2
ASFx2600
Tomatovillian™

Very impressive. I love these self watering containers. I might have to try building one of these new and improved EarthTainers
ASFx2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Ray! I love the double wall, definitely going to help with temps which is a really good thing! Well done! I might just have to make me one soon .

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #4
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Like the double wall also,...it's like the pot in a pot approach I've heard nurseries use in hot climates. Have you been able to measure how much cooler the temps stay?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Like the double wall also,...it's like the pot in a pot approach I've heard nurseries use in hot climates. Have you been able to measure how much cooler the temps stay?
Not yet. But if you look at the "gaps" between the sidewalls, it should give fairly good isolation along a lot of the surface area. While some of this will compress near the top with the Grow Media installed, I believe even without an air gap, the double thickness will be a positive thing.

I am also of the view that air exchange under the Aeration Bench will be better with the gaps between the containers.

I really liked the idea of only having to throw a one inch wide strip into the Recycle Bin, rather than 2/3'rds of the second container, which was the case with the EarthTainer II design.

Well, I've already found 2 minor typos when re-reading it for the seventh time, (see if you can find them), so will be posting an updated version with these fixed in a few days (after I re-read it for the eighth time).

Raybo
Old January 14, 2011   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ray

Very nice! I nominate you for an oscar in the veggie world!
Old January 14, 2011   #7
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I love the new design! I bought some rugged totes a few weeks ago (on sale!) to build my first set of containers, and I'm glad I held off until now.

I also wish I were half as diligent as you when it comes to proofreading my writing!
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #8
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

You have a few punctuation errors too raybo.

"own, quality organic vegetables" mis-use of a comma.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #9
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I see a lot of posts about the use of Earth Tainers for tomato plants, but can they be used for other vegetables as well? I have limited space for vine crops, and am wondering if this would work for cantaloupe, or not????
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
You have a few punctuation errors too raybo.

"own, quality organic vegetables" mis-use of a comma.

DarJones
Thanks. I really would like to find someone who could more professionally format the Guide, and use better grammar (not my strong suit). I did the Guide in simple Word, and I am sure there are better programs to use to make the document more readable. Any volunteers out there??????

Mark,

I've grown Peppers, cucumbers, corn, and Snow Peas in them:

Raybo
Old January 15, 2011   #11
troad
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Step 11 in construction is the drain hole i believe? How big a hole are you drilling and one on each end?
Old January 15, 2011   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by troad View Post
Ray,

Step 11 in construction is the drain hole i believe? How big a hole are you drilling and one on each end?
troad,

This is what the Guide says:

"""Step 11: On the outer container (#1) make a mark at the center of the short (handle) sides 3-7/8 inches up from the bottom. Rotate the container and repeat on the other center of the short side."""

Yes, these are the two overflow holes. Thanks for pointing out that I should include the purpose of the two holes, as well as I need to add to use a 3/8" drill.

In looking at the Word document just now, it appears that the page-break "ate" this sentence. I have now added it back in. Thanks.

Excellent catch!!!

Raybo
Old January 15, 2011   #13
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Raybo,
Thanks once again for all your hard work in putting together this new 'tainer version. I am not sure if I have any more room to put them in the backyard, lol.
For the fertilizer strip, Picture frame or two strips?

Other vegetables success stories in the Earthtainer: daikon radish.
I have struggled for years trying to find a means to grow them but they bolt because of the temperature swings we have and our soils are too cold to promote good growth.
I put the fertilizer strip down the middle and plant a row of daikon radish on either side.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Personal preference, I guess - - but I am now using two fertilizer strips along the front and back sides, about 3 inches in from the walls, and about 3 inches deep. I place one Cup of TomatoTone in each strip, then cover and slightly water in. Having said that, now without the cage getting in the way in the new design, I may experiment with the picture-frame application again, as this would seem to provide the best distribution of the fertilizer.

Again this Season, I will be trialing various fertilizers such as FloraMato to see which works best. I hope in about 5 years of trials, to get it down pat.

Glad to hear about your success with the Radishes. Post some photos when you can.

Raybo
Old January 15, 2011   #15
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray, I looked at your plans and you have one to one and a half bags off wet soil mixture only supported by two bolts mounted in soft malleable plastic. I don't think that will work for very long, especially when moving them. Just to be safe I'd add six to eight pvc pipes the height of the pond filter to take the load off the two bolts.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote