Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 17, 2015   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default RGGS system new build - questions - grow bags, valves

Building a new RGGS system. Was going to build something similar to LuigiWu's build from this post, (Thanks Luigiwu, sorry changed my mind) however, finally thinking that I should go with simple rain gutter base, float valves and grow bags.

bought 2x4s, gutters, end caps, screws. So set with making the base.
Still need to figure out which floating valves to buy and water lines

Ricman, Luigiwu, do you guys use grow bags? Are these vigaro ones any good?
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #2
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

You can go to Wallmart and ask for the Vinyl Bags behind the check out counter. They cost .50 per. If you fill them all the way up I think they would hold more than a Gallon. Have handles also. I have 6 and have Onions in mine. Right now they are not complete. What I am going to do is to fill the bottom 1/2 with pine straw then Miracle Grow Potting mix. The Straw will hep to hold the moisture a bit longer. IMHO I would not pay that much for a bag, Beale.

Last edited by EBCIII; April 17, 2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I use the 7-gallon gray (lasts 3-4 yrs) root pouches. they are available at greenhousemegastore. They are extremely durable and I would not be surprised if they last beyond 4 years. I put a bucket lid inside, on the bottom (for structure) and then I cut a hole through both, and insert a net cup through both.

Once you know where/how your water supply will be then you'll know what 'connection type' to buy for the Kerick adjustable arm valve. FYI, I don't screw the gutter to the frame. don't like the idea of making that many punctures through my water trough - I shim or you can use a pipe/plumbing strap.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...pot-3-4-year/s

If you go with walmart bag, they are NOT vinyl. They are a poly (made from recycled water bottles) material and only 50 cent ones. They hold 7 gallons. The UPC Number Is 6791452627 and usually near the checkout. I put them in $1 mini baskets (for structure - I think you can see them the last pic in the rggs-raised bed thread.)

Last edited by luigiwu; April 18, 2015 at 08:15 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #4
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Hi LuigiWu .. how do you shim the gutter to the lumber? I have bought this genova gutter

Plan to build my gutters in this week (3 runs, 30 feet total). I have 2x4, gutter, gutter caps and right screws. Do not have the piping and float valves yet. Figuring out whether to buy on amazon or some local hardware store
Old April 20, 2015   #5
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

FWIW, I ordered the float valves on Amazon. The only other place I could find them was at hydroponics places and they were much pricier. When I ordered them, I made the mistakes of getting the 1/2 nipple and had to send them back for the 1/4 ones.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #6
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Nancy
I plan to order these valves - Kerick Valve MAB22
An adapter at the hose bib to convert hose to 1/4" tubing
A 1/4" barb tee near my two runs of RGGS - barb tee
and the 1/4" tubing connects each leg of the T to the float valve

Trying to figure out which tubing to buy that will survive elements. I need about 30 ft run

Old April 20, 2015   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

to shim, I used some these composite shims directly under the gutters themselves (see link below.) I made my rig with 2x6s. Technically, if you plumb everything to the top lip of the rig frame, then its only a matter of shimming the rig frame. But somehow it didn't work out that nicely for me... I built my rig right side down with this theory - maybe the ground wasn't straight, or maybe without gravity the u-shape gutter wasnt quite settled in the upside down method I was doing.
The other way of doing it is to shim the rig the best you can and then use plumbing straps to finesse the leveling of the gutter. Basically shim shim shim because I don't believe in attaching the gutter directly to the frame - lol. But if you don't have hang up then use barn screws to do it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...2-TW/202807695

You might want to use a pressure reducer as well at the hose bib.

Last edited by luigiwu; April 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old April 21, 2015   #8
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Luigiwu .. dont really have a problem with barn screws, so will use those.

So your gutter just sits on the shims and is not attached to the frame? (and the plumbing straps stop it from coming outside?)

Also would coco liners work for air pruning? Instead of the grow bags? I have some of these pots -> coco liner wire basket
Old April 21, 2015   #9
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thinking of using these on top of the channel instead of grow bags ..

I hope that the coco liner works as well as the grow bags (And I know it lasts for more than one season)
Old July 26, 2015   #10
encore
Tomatovillian™

tnkrer how are your gutter systems working out? was the 1/4 inch float valves letting in enough water to keep it filled? or would 3/8 inch be better?
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #11
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

gutter system is working out great! Walmart grocery bags as grow bags do not work well for me. So they will be out next year. Instead I will use 5 gallon buckets. I am using one right now. I have drilled about 50 1.5" holes in the bucket to get some advantages of air pruning and that bucket seems to be doing great
The float valve keeps the water reservoir filled easily. The capacity is about 4 gal. That gets used up in less than a day. and the valve fills it up in 15 minutes. So it is not a problem at all
However, Kerrick's 1/4 inch barbed valve is not 1/4 inch as sold by other companies. (raindrip). So they did not match up and it was a PITA to connect them
Old August 2, 2015   #12
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

For people wanting to use irrigation 1/4" (1/4" O.D) I would recommend the Kerick MA252. Its a compression fitting.
Old August 2, 2015   #13
encore
Tomatovillian™

just ordered a few things from grow bag systems and one of the float valves came without a lock down nut. there seems to be no way of contacting this place after you order something! I tried contacting larry hall but to no avail. so does anyone know how to contact larry? thanks
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #14
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
just ordered a few things from grow bag systems and one of the float valves came without a lock down nut. there seems to be no way of contacting this place after you order something! I tried contacting larry hall but to no avail. so does anyone know how to contact larry? thanks
He is always available on Facebook. If you want him to email you, give me your email addy and I'll pass it on (via Facebook.)
That said, I've just noticed there is a CONTACT button on the very left of the page (the letters are oriented vertically.)

Last edited by luigiwu; August 2, 2015 at 04:40 PM.