Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 21, 2011   #76
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Bobbie,

Top water sparingly when the Grow Media shows evidence of drying out. About a pint every few days ought to do it, until the plant's root system takes hold. The moisture barrier will help contain much of the water to begin with.

Of course, if you are in a rainy area, this step will usually not be necessary.

Raybo
Rain???? What's that????
Old March 21, 2011   #77
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks So Much!!

Perfect, I will be in Fremont tomorrow!! Yay, very excited to get started. This is my second year growing tomatoes but first year making the Earthtainer. Love all of your pictures, looks like you can grow anything in it.
Quote:
The Lowes in Fremont show 17 in stock. This is what you are looking for:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314141-61896...&storeId=10151

Click on the "Check other stores" tab for stores closer to you.

Raybo
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #78
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

I just wanted to say what an awesome site this is. I first saw the Earthtainer last year at the end of the season when I was buying my seeds for this year and decided to try it as I had trouble keeping my watering even. Then I lucked onto this site where everyone seems to be so passionate about growing. I love it. My goal is to be able to can enough tomatoes to last thru the year from my own garden without having to buy any. I'm hoping the earthtainer will give me a higher yield then what I got last year. Thanks everyone for your advice and welcoming nature!!
Old March 21, 2011   #79
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

oh my goodness ray that is alot of peppers!!!!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #80
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kpatrick,

I would call the Fremont store first before making the trip to verify they have 17 on hand. BTW, the San Jose East store (880 at Brocaw) showed 40 in stock.

Kat,

Yep, lots of Peppers, but just too crowded with 6 plants. I am thinking with only 4 plants, the Peppers will have more elbow-room to fill out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2011   #81
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I feel like I am making progress. I went to the Fremont Lowe's (thanks Raybo) and got almost all of the totes I needed. They were short 2 of what I needed but I can now get started. I also got notice that my pea fence has shipped. And on Sunday all except my Early Annie's had sprouted. Couple of questions. Does anyone know the best place to get the 2 inch mesh? I saw some fence that might work but I wasn't sure if it needed to be more pliable? Also, how many cages will one carton of pea fence make? Any suggestions on where to get the dolomite lime and does it need to be the crushed? I did find some that looks like pebbles, will that work?
Old March 30, 2011   #82
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kpatrick,

You can get the Dolomite Lime at all Home Depot stores. It comes in 5 pound bags, made by Espoma (sitting next to the Citrus-tone fertilizer). $3.97 per bag.

Question: What are you planning for the 2 inch mesh? For tomatoes, you would want to use the 7 inch mesh as shown in the Guide.

Each package of Gurneys pea fence makes the base cage as well as the second extension cage for one EarthTainer.

Raybo
Old March 30, 2011   #83
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
kpatrick,

You can get the Dolomite Lime at all Home Depot stores. It comes in 5 pound bags, made by Espoma (sitting next to the Citrus-tone fertilizer). $3.97 per bag.

Question: What are you planning for the 2 inch mesh? For tomatoes, you would want to use the 7 inch mesh as shown in the Guide.

Each package of Gurneys pea fence makes the base cage as well as the second extension cage for one EarthTainer.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo, I am planning on using the mesh for cucumbers and tomatoes. I guess I stopped at the first reference for the cucumbers where it indicates 2 inch. Didn't see the 7 inch for tomatoes, thanks for the clarification. So I guess I need both. Would they have it at Lowes or Home Depot? And can you direct me to the correct department? I asked when I was in over the weekend and those I spoke to looked at me like I was odd. Ok, that happens anyway but..... I did find some lime that is in pebble form at HD but wasn't sure if that was ok. I thought I heard reference to crushed? Not sure. I have read so much on this site I might be confusing it. Thanks so much for your help. I am really excited to see how the earthtainers do. Just having a hard time deciding how much of what to plant and already wanting to increase the number of earthtainers I make but trying to get the ones I have the material for built before I expand.
Old March 30, 2011   #84
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The Espoma "Garden Lime" is pulverized Dolomitic Lime. This is exactly what you want.

I would skip the 2 inch mesh, and go only with the 7 inch trellis mesh for this Season. you can get the 7 inch trellis mesh at any Hydroponics Shop (South Bay Hydro carries it). Also, Gurneys, Johnnys, etc carry it mail order.

Raybo
Old March 31, 2011   #85
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The Espoma "Garden Lime" is pulverized Dolomitic Lime. This is exactly what you want.

I would skip the 2 inch mesh, and go only with the 7 inch trellis mesh for this Season. you can get the 7 inch trellis mesh at any Hydroponics Shop (South Bay Hydro carries it). Also, Gurneys, Johnnys, etc carry it mail order.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo!! These are the last items on the list. Now I just need the sun to continue shining and last of my seeds to germinate.
Old April 3, 2011   #86
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is the 7 inch mesh Trellis Netting I use:

You will need to cut "panels" that end up with 3 "good" strings at 0 inches, 7 inches, and 14 inches. Then for the long dimension, you will need 5 "good" strings at 0 inches, 7, 14, 21, and 28 inches.

Then, you slightly stretch the ends of the panel over the double-wrap ends to seat within the grove:

After you cut (and test) your first panel, you can use that as a template to cut out more of the panels.

Raybo
Old April 4, 2011   #87
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is the 7 inch mesh Trellis Netting I use:

You will need to cut "panels" that end up with 3 "good" strings at 0 inches, 7 inches, and 14 inches. Then for the long dimension, you will need 5 "good" strings at 0 inches, 7, 14, 21, and 28 inches.

Then, you slightly stretch the ends of the panel over the double-wrap ends to seat within the grove:

After you cut (and test) your first panel, you can use that as a template to cut out more of the panels.

Raybo
Perfect!! Thanks Raybo, the pictures really help. I got started this weekend and quickly realized I am not as proficient with power tools as I thought. I can handle a drill just fine but the hand saw wobbled too much so I am going to use the kitchen shears. Little slower but I think will give me a straighter line. Also realized my clamps are too small. Learning as I go.
Old April 4, 2011   #88
rtsouth
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, I have a question about the EB AWS system that you recommend for the ET III. Since my shutoff valve is not going to fit down into the top of the fill pipe (due to screen for mosquitos), what is the correct distance from the second set of holes in the bottom of the fill pipe to the bell of the AWS tube?
rtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #89
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Measure for the length of the clear tube to place the bottom edge of the bell sensor approx. 3 inches from the bottom of the container. This will maintain a constant 3-1/4 inches in the water reservoir.

Raybo
Old April 5, 2011   #90
rtsouth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo, I'll try to let you know how these do in Zone 7b.
rtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote