Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 6, 2014   #1
Csross
Tomatovillian™

Default SIP/SWC mix moist enough?

I made a 5 gal SIP/SWC following the Global Bucket style design. My question is, how do I know whether the mix is appropriately moist, but not too wet, and providing the necessary aeration? What signs am I looking for, to know whether everything is working correctly, before I make a bunch more?

To give a little more background, I cut the top off a Powerade bottle, punched it full of holes, and packed it full of Ray's 321 mix as my wick. I planted a tomato plant in there two weeks ago, and everything seems to be doing well - the plant is growing and the mix is moist, but I'm planning to make a few more and give some away, so I want to know what problems I should be looking for.

Thanks a lot.
Csross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I tried 37 different combinations of ingredients, and found the 3:2:1 ratio works best for SWC type applications. Kind of the "Goldilocks" just right ratios.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

delete

Last edited by luigiwu; March 7, 2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: -
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #4
Csross
Tomatovillian™

So Ray, you're basically saying to trust the instructions and stop worrying so much? Ok.

One reason I'm asking is that I saw you recommend a drier mix for peppers, something like 332. I'm just wondering how to know that, and how to troubleshoot potential problems. I'm making some buckets (for bell peppers and cherry tomatoes) for a friend who has never grown a plant in her life, so I'm trying to make everything as idiot-proof as possible. Thanks for all your research and advice!
Csross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

So much also depends on local rain conditions. If you are in a climate which gets a lot of rain, use more perlite to facilitate better drainage. You should experiment to fine tune the ratios to best meet your needs. Start with the 321 as a reference point.

Raybo

p.s. For Peppers I would start off with a 3:3:2 ratio to begin with.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

delete.

Last edited by luigiwu; March 7, 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: -
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote