Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 28, 2018   #1
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Regarding bacillus and copper sprays.

First question. I read some people say they mix Thuricide or Serenade with their copper fungicide. As far as I under, isn't this counter productive considering copper is antimicrobial. (which is also why prolonged use can have negative impact on soil: http://www.regional.org.au/au/asssi/...vanzwieten.htm)

Second is what would be the outcome of mixing two different bacillus strains in the same container and spraying them together? It would certainly save time, but would this alter the effectiveness compared to keeping the strains separate? Perhaps different strains combination have different consequences?
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36935
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Read the second post it's by me. Don't put the BT in until everything else is fully diluted and not until the last minute, just before spraying. Enough if the BT survives to work on the caterpillars.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Bacteria in spore form are resilient, more than one might expect.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #5
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I have read that the Cry proteins are the active ingredient and are already in suspension with the spores. Growth of the spores may not be necessary.

Oops, Just now read that the spores do then germinate and finish the job

Last edited by decherdt; June 29, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #6
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I'm dealing with some sort of bacterial foliage disease and this week I started getting caterpillars in my green fruit. Some of the holes are tiny like a pin poinf, others are a little larger and I've found caterpillars still inside the fruit. Also have something burrowing into my hot peppers that leaves holes the size of a pencil and when I cut the pepper open it's filled with dark brown "mud". Any idea what would make the tiny holes and the pencil sized holes? Ive started spraying with BT and copper. I wanted to know if that was my best option because I've not seen any holes on the leaves of my plants, just the fruit themselves. Should I just save time and spray the fruit?
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote