Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 4, 2014   #1
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Default Do I have time?

If I jumped on this like right now, do I still have time to start some more seeds? I have a few three week old seedlings that are just not looking good (I started a thread on why in the Diseases area), so I'd like to replace a few of them if I can.

I plant out usually around Memorial Day, although this year it's looking more like the first weekend in June. Will seeds started now be at all productive this year, or should I just cut my losses and try again next year?
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I once resowed all the varieties I lost to a mid-May frost (sown~May 17, iirc), planted out ~ June 17 and all produced in Sept. Sowing that late, the flats were outside all day as soon as they sprouted, seedlings grew really fast and provided ripe fruits here in zone 6b. I just sowed more seeds the other day that haven't popped up yet after reading that Tormato (in MA) sows most of his on May 1 every year.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #3
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

I'm still trying to get a couple of varieties to germinate. I figure anything that I can get some true leaves out of my June 1st should be fine.

I started everything March 20th, and I think that was too early. I tell myself that every year. Next year I will try April 1st.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

well, it's never too late, but how long of a growing season do you need for the variety?
Old May 4, 2014   #5
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
well, it's never too late, but how long of a growing season do you need for the variety?
I think that's the most prudent thing to ask. If you're talking about potted plants, you have some flexibility... bring them indoors once the weather gets too chilly. I had mine outside until autumn was just about done. If you're talking in-ground and indeterminate varieties then you may have to rig up some protection. Some people erect translucent plastic sheets to create a mini greenhouse cone around them.

Some varieties sprout faster than others. Right now I'm growing Russian Oxheart 117, Black Plum, Black Krim, and Sara Galapagos. The Black Krim sprouts grew faster and produced a greater abundance of roots, all with the same medium. So if you have some varieties that can go from seed to sprout within a few weeks, you should be fine.

I started all of my seeds in a very moist paper towel. All of them started showing roots within about 10 days, then sprouts shortly thereafter. The Sara Galapagos did nothing. After two weeks, I put them in soil just in case there were some that weren't duds. A week later, I'm finally seeing some sprouts. They're a good 50% behind the others, but the Sara Galapagos is a determinate variety... not going to be a problem with them going a little later.
Old May 5, 2014   #6
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

The varieties I want to try reseeding are Opalka, Polish Linguisa, Ernesto, and Blush. All will be in the ground, but my support system is made of 2x4's and very solid, so I can staple up plastic sheets to it to make a kind of greenhouse area if I have to, especially if I dock the top parts of the plants off.
Old May 5, 2014   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSky View Post
The varieties I want to try reseeding are Opalka, Polish Linguisa, Ernesto, and Blush. All will be in the ground, but my support system is made of 2x4's and very solid, so I can staple up plastic sheets to it to make a kind of greenhouse area if I have to, especially if I dock the top parts of the plants off.

Except for Polish Linguisa, which is reported to be a late season tomato, they are all mid-season varieties. I say go for it! My experience has been that once the weather turns favorable and you get them in the ground, smaller/late starts will very quickly catch up to any that are bigger/were started earlier.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I needed to restart some seeds for a plant sale I am involved with a couple of weeks ago. I put them on a heating pad (not a heat mat) on medium. They were up in 7 days and they were potted up in 14 days. They now have 2 weeks before the sale. I don't know where in Michigan you are, but the way the weather is going, I won't be planting out before Memorial Day. Go for it.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #9
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I needed to restart some seeds for a plant sale I am involved with a couple of weeks ago. I put them on a heating pad (not a heat mat) on medium. They were up in 7 days and they were potted up in 14 days. They now have 2 weeks before the sale. I don't know where in Michigan you are, but the way the weather is going, I won't be planting out before Memorial Day. Go for it.
I'm just south of Lansing, but my garden is in a bit of a low spot so I plant out later than most in my area. Last year I planted out the week before Memorial day and I had to keep covering my plants until June 2.

Alright, I'm going to get them started!

Thanks everyone
Old June 16, 2014   #10
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Were you able to get going on germinating some tomato seeds, SummerSky? If so, hope you had good luck with it.