Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 4, 2024   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default 2024 tomatoes and everything else

Planted my first tomato seeds on the 2nd. It has been cloudy and cold and none of my pepper seed planted over a week ago have popped up. A few warm sunny days would help with germination.

I also planted some more broccoli, cabbage and lettuce on the 12th of December and got almost nothing to germinate. These are the same seed I used when I started my seed in October and got nearly 100%germination. I guess if I want spring crops from these I better plant some more soon. My early fall plantings are doing well most of my broccoli have small heads and my cabbage are starting to form heads. I'm not doing the Brussels sprout thing this year. Just too frustrating. Looks like all my lettuce is just about ready to pi9ck so its salad time for us.

Having better luck than last year with my carrots. I have a fair stand and so far they aren't being dug up too bad by the squirrels and such. Mustard greens were terrific this year as have been my nest onions. So good together.

My lemon trees are overwhelming us with lemons and my Calamondin bush is loaded. Despite a half dozen mild freezes or heavy frost they are still looking good. Unlike my Satsuma which got nearly wiped out by that hard freeze last year.
Just ordered some more rootstock seed for this season and some more Butta squash seed.

Happy new year every one!
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2024   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Happy new year to you B54red. Good to hear you've got something from the garden (lemons and lettuce, a match made in heaven if you like a lemony dressing).
I've had whole batches of seedlings 'disappear' by both slugs and voles, if the time/weather and place happens to be right. Row cover helps, as long as they can't get underneath it. From past experience the slugs are especially fond of the carrot family, to the extreme, while the past summer voles ate every other seedling in my garden except for carrots. Peas, brassicas, lettuce, destroyed as little seedlings, then they came for the grains when they were ripe, but never touched a carrot all summer.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2024   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Cheers to a great 2024, hopefully you have a great season!!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2024   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

What a great problem to be overwhelmed with citrus! That’s a problem I will never have. I hope you have a wonderful season.!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2024   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Happy new year to you B54red. Good to hear you've got something from the garden (lemons and lettuce, a match made in heaven if you like a lemony dressing).
I've had whole batches of seedlings 'disappear' by both slugs and voles, if the time/weather and place happens to be right. Row cover helps, as long as they can't get underneath it. From past experience the slugs are especially fond of the carrot family, to the extreme, while the past summer voles ate every other seedling in my garden except for carrots. Peas, brassicas, lettuce, destroyed as little seedlings, then they came for the grains when they were ripe, but never touched a carrot all summer.
You need to get some miniature dachshunds and your vole problems will disappear. Of course you may find dead voles on your stoop in the mornings and there could be some digging problems for a while til they thin out the voles.

Bill
Old January 8, 2024   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
What a great problem to be overwhelmed with citrus! That’s a problem I will never have. I hope you have a wonderful season.!
KarenO
It was tough getting my citrus through the hard freeze last year. Couldn't save most of my Satsuma tree but it has come back almost as large but since it had no new growth during blooming time last year I have had no fruit. I do hope it will do well this year.

Bill
Old January 14, 2024   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I experienced in vole last year. They ate the roots of parsley fennel broccolie
I fed 5hem some vole baits. Luckily they didnt bother tomatoes and peppers.
I hope they wont come back this ..but 8 got some more baits to serve them.

Well 9n the topic, I intend to sow seeds early Feb.
Still waiting for my seeds order .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2024   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

The only Vegetables that survived this winter at Angel Field were just my Broccolie and Collard Greens. I Wrapped all the meat I had been cooking in Collard Greens, Making my Hubby very Happy, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote