Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 20, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Could someone please put this thread where it belongs and not in the food preservation section?
I'm not complaining no need to explain why it is here, it just isn't in the right place.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #17
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the imput! I have never grown the Dwarf/Tree type but Ginger(a very nice and dedicated contributor/individual!) sent me a bunch to try. If I was to try 30 as you say is possible( just got back from S. California by El Centro (Salton Sea-weird!) - and looked at their farms - tomato's about 1' apart on raised row/mounds 6" high now and i believe drip watered under the black plastic , peppers touching each other and well fruited already) so I see your perspective. Maybe i'll give it a try and put Ginger's Indeterminate s "in the back 40" to grow 7' no disrespect for sure on the inderminates!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #18
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Thanks for the imput! I have never grown the Dwarf/Tree type but Ginger(a very nice and dedicated contributor/individual!) sent me a bunch to try. If I was to try 30 as you say is possible( just got back from S. California by El Centro (Salton Sea-weird!) - and looked at their farms - tomato's about 1' apart on raised row/mounds 6" high now and i believe drip watered under the black plastic , peppers touching each other and well fruited already) so I see your perspective. Maybe i'll give it a try and put Ginger's Indeterminate s "in the back 40" to grow 7' no disrespect for sure on the inderminates!
I'm from California (San Diego's East County), and those plants can be so close together because they are dry out there, it is the desert in Salton Sea. So, the plants provide each other shade, and they don't have water sitting on them from mildew or watering. If your area has humidity then it is best to give your plants plenty of air flow.

History on the Salton Sea, it's in real trouble out there.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...11US0D20170121

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 4, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #19
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Rock, the lack of desert air here in central Indy will be a good reason NOT to grow 'em too close tgether - i see the difference now. Yeah, seems like the resorts and towns around the Salton Sea were all deserted and no more room for graffiti except on top of existing graffiti - only inhabitants like in Bombay City i think worked for the County DPW to keep the water and sewers running but for why?...................
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Thanks for the info Rock, the lack of desert air here in central Indy will be a good reason NOT to grow 'em too close tgether - i see the difference now. Yeah, seems like the resorts and towns around the Salton Sea were all deserted and no more room for graffiti except on top of existing graffiti - only inhabitants like in Bombay City i think worked for the County DPW to keep the water and sewers running but for why?...................
Sadly, the water has become so saline (correction-Not saline) out there that the fish can't stay alive and the commerce died. The link I gave above has many different links to check out. It will lay out all that is wrong out there.

It used to be a really rockin place out there with celebrities being the largest group of people staying there. Sonny Bono was working on trying to get the salton sea fixed. The runoff from farming has caused many problems with the sea, it really is a sad situation.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote