Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 23, 2018   #31
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
the opinions we got ranged from "Definitely Redo" to "What's the problem".

My neighbors make their sauce, get it boiling, add it to hot jars, cap with hot lids, screw the cap on, turn them upside down and BAM canned. No pressure cooker and no water bath.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #32
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
My neighbors make their sauce, get it boiling, add it to hot jars, cap with hot lids, screw the cap on, turn them upside down and BAM canned. No pressure cooker and no water bath.

Oh dear, that is dangerous, LOL!
Old July 23, 2018   #33
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
That's how I do it (learned from my Mom). Just fill the sterile jars, close the lids and they will create the reaction needed. Cool storage.
(Never tried to can vegetable sauces, only fruit and berry jam)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #34
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

You can get away with that for jams, except for greater chance of molding (and some people are allergic to molds). For tomato sauce, that is a recipe for botulism. Getting the jar to seal is not the only goal. Killing microorganisms and spores is the goal. Even starting with boiling sauce, there are contaminants all around the kitchen and jars/lids, etc. To each their own. As we learn more, hopefully we do better. I don't particularly like foodborne illness myself. ;-)
Old July 23, 2018   #35
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

No one does. In all the years I have cooked jam, I have never had any mold (even after from jars stored for a few years)
The method is fully approved even by our health officials, I don't see any problem or potential danger. The key is in sufficient cooking - and pectin sugar also helps (if no lemon is used).
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote