Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 29, 2018   #91
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

After a full season with the Kitchenaid strainer attachment, my Victorio has been officially retired.

The KA attachment creates a fraction of the mess (no splatters!), runs through the tomatoes in a fraction of the time, and the screen goes through 20-30 pounds of raw tomatoes without a hiccup. I cut out the core and cut the tomatoes into quarters so that the pieces easily slide down the chute and into the auger with almost no help from me with the pushing tool. I can even run the skins through twice without a problem. Clean up is about the same as the Victorio.

I'm now convinced the new Victorios are a different machine than the old ones. Seems everyone with a vintage Victorio loves it and too many of us with today's model seem to be having issues.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018   #92
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
After a full season with the Kitchenaid strainer attachment, my Victorio has been officially retired.

The KA attachment creates a fraction of the mess (no splatters!), runs through the tomatoes in a fraction of the time, and the screen goes through 20-30 pounds of raw tomatoes without a hiccup. I cut out the core and cut the tomatoes into quarters so that the pieces easily slide down the chute and into the auger with almost no help from me with the pushing tool. I can even run the skins through twice without a problem. Clean up is about the same as the Victorio.

I'm now convinced the new Victorios are a different machine than the old ones. Seems everyone with a vintage Victorio loves it and too many of us with today's model seem to be having issues.
Your review of the KitchenAid attachment has made up my mind.
I could get a more expensive more powerful contraption but I have to ask myself.
Do I really need it and would I use it enough to justify it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018   #93
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Your review of the KitchenAid attachment has made up my mind.
I could get a more expensive more powerful contraption but I have to ask myself.
Do I really need it and would I use it enough to justify it.

Exactly why I went with the KA vs some other machine I would need to store. Given the volume I can, it's perfect. If I were doing bushel+ batches at a time, then I would consider something else.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #94
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It is nice to have options, that's for sure. We had the victorio out last night to mill some pear/hab hot sauce, then after a quick rinse I finished off the remaining pears in the downstairs fridge that were getting too soft. It definitely works great for our purposes, and I was thinking again how nice it works. Next was getting out the kreft meat grinder for venison sausage, and then pressure canning that, but the Victorio was quickly cleaned and put away to make room. It only takes a up a little space in basement storage. It is for sure a lot lighter than the hobart 410 I haul up a few times per year! Last week was for slicing venison pastrami, will need it again this week, and I'm almost wishing it was a china piece of junk from Cabelas....almost.

If they ever come out with a contraption that grinds slices mills stuffs dehydrates juices slow cooks vacuum seals and pressure cans...then we might have a lot of stuff for sale. It wouldn't even need to pop popcorn!

Last edited by JRinPA; October 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote