Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 16, 2009   #1
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Default Chili

Maybe not preserving, but it gets eaten up.

Brought chili to a potluck @ work and it's gone. I've made it about every 2 weeks this summer. I'm certain it's the home grown toms and peppers that make it so good.

I just take the toms on the counter that are ripe or over ripe, put them on a baking sheet and cut a little x in the blossom scar. Fill the spaces in the baking sheet w/ peppers, whatevers ripe. Drizzle a few drops of olive oil and bake at 400 till the skins are all split away from the tom.

A few of the bigger peppers get roasted and black stuff removed, leave a fair amount of seeds for some heat.

I chop an onion in the cuisinart and then chop the toms and peppers I roasted. Add it all to a crockpot w/ a variety of beans. I like black, pinto, red. A little garlic powder and let it cook in the crock pot for a few hours.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hear this all the time, "beans in Chili," barf gag yuck.

I cook Chili at work on the North Slope about once a month and I always hear how strange it is not to have beans in Chili.

Chili Does not have beans in it beans are a filler and here are the rules.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2ZDahydMeeiskQ

Sorry

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009   #3
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Now that we know the rules, Worth, how about your recipe?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Now that we know the rules, Worth, how about your recipe?
Not a chance

I will tell you I make it from prime rib at work.
I dont eat prime rib at work as they have itr every Sunday so I get some guys together and we haul it off cut it up make chili and put it in a 6 quart crock pot.
It is all gone by around 8 AM monday morning.

Folks get real testy when they dont get chili on monday.
Old October 19, 2009   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well hoot I hope this works.

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

Enjoy real Chili

Worth
Old October 19, 2009   #6
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

I happen to like beans in my chili, but your prime rib sans beans sounds pretty darn good also.
Old October 19, 2009   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Hythloday View Post
I happen to like beans in my chili, but your prime rib sans beans sounds pretty darn good also.
No worries to each his own.
But if you has to eat as many HOT chili beans as I did growing up you would hate the things.
I still remember my poor old Dad, they just killed him.

Worth
Old November 3, 2009   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Worth,
I am one of those who loves beans in their chili too. With out beans it is like hotdog topping or sloppy joes. Oh I sometimes like to cook eggplant chunks in to too. Anyway that's not why I'm really posting. I read the chili cookoff rules. My goodness there are a lot of rules! The list is more complex than a tax form. The one that got me though was:
G. PYROTECHNICS - No chili contestant may discharge firearms or use any pyrotechnics or explosives at a chili cookoff. Contestants discharging firearms and/or using explosives or other pyrotechnics will be disqualified from the chili cookoff.
What the heck?! Are there a lot of problems with this?
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2009   #9
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Worth,
I am one of those who loves beans in their chili too. With out beans it is like hotdog topping or sloppy joes. Oh I sometimes like to cook eggplant chunks in to too. Anyway that's not why I'm really posting. I read the chili cookoff rules. My goodness there are a lot of rules! The list is more complex than a tax form. The one that got me though was:
G. PYROTECHNICS - No chili contestant may discharge firearms or use any pyrotechnics or explosives at a chili cookoff. Contestants discharging firearms and/or using explosives or other pyrotechnics will be disqualified from the chili cookoff.
What the heck?! Are there a lot of problems with this?
Remy
YIKES!

Making a batch tonight in a 7qt crock pot. Had a bunch of maters and peppers sitting around that needed to go somewhere. Used a left over pork roast from Sunday dinner and tonights left overs (chile verde w/ same pork) and BEANS!

I was roasting toms in the oven, and peppers over a gas burner and the wife was complaining. Just 'cuz I set off the fire alarm and there were a few sparks coming off of some peppers stems. I mean come on! What's chili w/ out a fire alarm?
Old November 3, 2009   #10
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default chili

Did you use any Bhut Jolokia? I bet that would be firealarm worthy, I never tried them but JD sent me some and after I repacked them{yes I touched the seeds and scratched my eye}I decided to do some homework He is probably still chuckeling!!! This is typical man stuff, break it then read the directions! Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2009   #11
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Hythloday View Post
YIKES!

Just 'cuz I set off the fire alarm and there were a few sparks coming off of some peppers stems. I mean come on! What's chili w/ out a fire alarm?
Too funny!
Remy

Icelord,
I touched my eye after de-seeding some hot peppers the other day. You would think I would of learned not to do that by now.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2009   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit I like many styles of chili - with or without beans, with or without meat (although many of the veggie versions tend to have beans but not all). I drive my B/F nuts at chili cook-offs when I am willing to try darn near anything, including the veggie versions. LOL

As for beans being a filler. Sometimes if you're making it the dead of a Canuck winter, having the extra carbs from the beans is not a bad thing....more fuel to keep you warm...sticks to your ribs kind of thing. But I realise that it is enough to make natives of TEXAS and parts really south of the other border...lol....cringe beyond belief.

Then again, there is similar discussions about certain middle eastern foods, whether they should include certain ingredients or not. I'm usually open to trying all versions, but may have certain preferences. But I'm not making them for a competition, so don't have to follow any particular rules. I think my Armenian Grandmother and Great Grandmothers would be rolling in their graves to see some of the adaptations I've made to some of their recipes.

I still make it their way too....but I like to experiment too. And that applies to chili too. If that's considered blasphemy to a chili purist, so be it. LOL

Zana

ps who has also managed to touch delicate body parts after preparing hot peppers....sheeeeeeesh. Don't remind me. Once learned the hard way while scarfing down scotch bonnets as a kid on the beach in Jamaica....what can I say....typical kid, no hankie handy, so I picked my nose. Dumb move. My nose ran like a tap for the rest of the day...even while swimming. I laugh now...but it was a pain in the arse at the time. Not to mention my cousins down there still tease me about it over 40 years later!!! Then again, I'm glad it was my nose. My bro had to answer nature's call....'nuff said. He gave a whole new meaning to the "caribbean shuffle" for the next few days. LMAO
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2009   #13
icelord
Tomatovillian™

If you can taste the beans, its not hot enough or you didnt use enough meat!

God Bless Texas!!
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2009   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had a guy at work talk all kinds of trash about my chili without beans.
He hadn’t had my chili and he was sick and tired of hearing about my chili from folks.
He said he could make better chili so I told him to bring it on and be prepared to lose.
He told me that I didn’t stand a chance against his chili and I told him to quit running his mouth and stir the pot.
I made 6 quarts out of prime rib put it out on Monday morning and it was gone in about 10 minutes.
People were yapping and pushing telling folks to save some for the rest.
The mouth didn’t make chili and he probably won’t.
He tried mine and said with his (tail between his legs) that I made a pretty darn good chili.
I told him to get back on the porch with the rest of the pups.
I’m bragging a little well a lot but hell I’m a Texan, I can’t help myself.
I like to help boost spirits at work and with the layoffs the mood is a little gloomy.
People really look forward to the chili and I work at night to make it in a crock pot.
I get up at 4:30 AM to touch it up a little and all I get is a cup of chili and a lot of happy thankful people.
That is reward enough for me.
Worth
Old November 8, 2009   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This subject of chili reminds me of a cook off in Johnson City Texas that a young friend of mine entered.
I guess the old boy was around 30 at the time and had a darn hot wife.
The chili cook off has been a family tradition with his folks and each year at the different cook offs one member of the family runs the show.
This time it was Cody’s turn and he had a keiriokee (or however you spell it) theme.
Lots of wild music, rock and roll, rap, new wave, country and who knows what all they had.
His aunt was the manager of the Fredericksburg brewery at the time, so there was some primo beer on hand for the select few (like me).
My friend was dancing with his lovely wife and he tossed her in the air.
She came down but her top didn’t and she wasn’t wearing a bra.
Well we all got a look-see and they got cheers and best of show which earned the team the right to go to the world championship in Terlingua.
At chili cook offs you just never know what will happen but you can rest assured you will have a good time.

Worth