Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 30, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Kitchen Make Over.

Yes that's right I have always wanted to do it I hate my kitchen.
It was designed for people that want to watch TV and warm up TV dinners.
On some paper somewhere I have it drawn up.
But to do this it had to be in my head first so I'm not looking fo these plans.
How I intend to do this is a little at a time.
Not the crazy BS they do on TV where the housewife takes a sledge hammer to the place and makes a huge mess.
I still need to cook right?
So where I am sitting right now will be the new place for a gas cook top and extra small sink.
The plumbing is already there to be used and in the right spot.
By doing this first I can then remove the microwave and stove from the other spot and work there when I want to.
There is 240 there so this is where the electric oven/ovens will be.

Then comes the stupid bar I never use for anything but stacking stuff on.
I can never seem to keep the thing cleared off.

If I move the bar outwards a little into the area I never use which is the living room I can have room for a small rolling prep table.
I haven't made my mind up yet on this one I need to look at it more but there will be more upper cabinets closing off the living area somewhat.
Of the big kettles I use most often are the 16 quart and 12 quart.
There are two big empty spaces that cant be accessed in two corners of the kitchen cabinets.
When I build the new cabinets I can get to them and this is where the most unused will end up.

I need to take some measurements and come up with a plan.
The cabinets wont be anything fancy but more rustic and functional.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I added a "floating Island" to my design when I was remodeling. I love it. It isn't a work station since it rolls and the casters don't lock, but I move it to where it is needed. I can unload the dishwasher and put the items on top and then roll all of it to the area where it belongs if it isn't in quick reach. I can also butt it up against the dishwasher and make an "L" to work at the sink. Once I get my floors redone and it is all hard surface (the family room is still carpet) It will be rolled to and out of the way area if it isn't needed in the kitchen area.
Old May 30, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I added a "floating Island" to my design when I was remodeling. I love it. It isn't a work station since it rolls and the casters don't lock, but I move it to where it is needed. I can unload the dishwasher and put the items on top and then roll all of it to the area where it belongs if it isn't in quick reach. I can also butt it up against the dishwasher and make an "L" to work at the sink. Once I get my floors redone and it is all hard surface (the family room is still carpet) It will be rolled to and out of the way area if it isn't needed in the kitchen area.
How big is it.
I am looking for other peoples recommendations.
I have also decided to incorporate the living room into the kitchen so to speak sort of.
I dont have a dining room and live in a small house.
So I am going to have to think more in the lines of a pioneer type home.
Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Since you said your house is small, you might be happier to have a place to go with your food. Combining the living room and kitchen into one room would mean you are always cooking and sitting in the same place, and that makes the house seem small to me. I don't mean having an enclosed wall, just the opposite. But after cooking I think it is nice to take take your food out of the area to dine - and not have to think about the dishes.

You don't want to see my place, its the dark broken before in a makeover. I look forward to seeing new ideas too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Lisa I have been sitting out in the garage at the work benches eating.
I have enjoyed it immensely.
This is one of the reasons I want to make the kitchen sort of separate from the living area I dont use much but still incorporate it for cabinet space and eating.

I find the whole concept of the open family room/space and so on laughable from reports back from friends that have families.
Many of them have kids that go off to their rooms to eat.
My mother would have killed me if she caught me in my room with anything other than dried fruit or nuts.
I want my eating area to be separate from my cooking area as you said.
It is hard if not impossible for me to explain how it looks, I am not Ann Rice.

Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

That is pretty much what I meant, eating away from the stove. When I got my first place I used to eat tuna fish over the kitchen sink because I was rushed and it was not enjoyable but it became a habit. My equivalent to your sausage emporium is the potting area. Finally tamed some ants that went exploring my leftovers and do not need that avoidable situation again so wandering with food is limited.

- Lisa
Old May 30, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is the floor plan and kitchen now the stove had a microwave and uppers over it as does the fridge have uppers.
The table is a little bigger.
The idiot that put the uppers over the fridge put in 12 inch instead of 18 inch.
Saving money on particle board, really.
Worth
Kitchen layout now..jpg
Old May 30, 2016   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Worth, my recommendation is, if you got gas, then use gas. Unless you want to go exotic with an induction top (and new pots for it), then lose the electric for everything but the fridge and microwave.

I've been cooking a long time and I've used both. There is no contest.

I'll comment on the layout later.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

[never mind]

What's there's no 'delete message' function?
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Worth, my recommendation is, if you got gas, then use gas. Unless you want to go exotic with an induction top (and new pots for it), then lose the electric for everything but the fridge and microwave.

I've been cooking a long time and I've used both. There is no contest.

I'll comment on the layout later.
I dont have gas but will if I put in the new cook top
I wouldn't have to buy hardly anything for an induction top.
You dont need new pots and pans they just have to have magnetic bottoms.

This is the way it is now not as it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Ummm. Where's the sink?
The key to the right shows where the sink is.
Blue.
Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay I am lazy go to the first pictuer for the key.
On the wall on the right will be the new cook top and wee sink.
The bar now has upper cabinets and gadget hanging wall and or shelves.
The reason the cook top doesn't have upper is because a vent hood will be there.
Not just any vent hood but one with a down stream fan.
I have researched cook tops and sizes till I am blue in the face up to 48 inch.
I am undecided between 48 and 36.
Leaning towards 36.
Electric oven will stay where the stove was.

Worth
Kitchen R.jpg
Old May 30, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Moving the cook top to the bar area is an option I have considered and very well might do.
This will give me the wall space for a prep area.
I might have lost enough weight to get in the attic again to run gas and vent duct.

Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You might want to look into the possibility of converting to a commercial kitchen for a home based business down the road. Codes vary from county to county. I was in a neat kitchen of a home based caterer in a very strict area; private entrance, special ceiling and lighting, all commercial appliances (can be had for cheap at auction), vent, fire hood (!), etc..

Smokey would have to find a new domicile (garage?) before certification though she sure must keep the stray mouse population in check.

- Lisa
Old May 30, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
You might want to look into the possibility of converting to a commercial kitchen for a home based business down the road. Codes vary from county to county. I was in a neat kitchen of a home based caterer in a very strict area; private entrance, special ceiling and lighting, all commercial appliances (can be had for cheap at auction), vent, fire hood (!), etc..

Smokey would have to find a new domicile (garage?) before certification though she sure must keep the stray mouse population in check.

- Lisa
I would never go commercial in my house I dont think.
Texas has some good laws on home cooking and selling very forgiving.

I also looked into commercial stuff.'
It isn't insulated as far as ovens and so on.
Called the makers to find out.
I think it was Vulcan.
Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

My island is 24x36 I think. It is the same size as a regular cabinet. just on casters. The top is narrower than the stationary island but that was necessary for balance. Sorry for the messes you get to see. Some were just after we started cleaning out cupboards and cabinets.. and everything was in transit...to crates. a few of the changes were huge. we removed a patio door and replaced it with a single 36" door. I needed wall space more than glass. I don't even miss that door. We swapped the fridge from one side of the kitchen to the other. removed the wall where the fridge was at and put the new island with a flat top stove there. and I needed counter space so that was where the floating island came into the picture. I needed it in different places for different tasks.

100_1783.JPG

100_1784.JPG

100_1785.JPG

100_1786.JPG

100_2081.JPG

100_2082.jpg

100_2085.JPG