Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 30, 2016   #16
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

How about a small woodburning oven in one of those corners? I'm sure you can build one. Easy venting. Best piece of cooking equipment I own. Nothing compares.

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
How about a small woodburning oven in one of those corners? I'm sure you can build one. Easy venting. Best piece of cooking equipment I own. Nothing compares.

Old chef
I am cooking and checking that is a great idea thanks this is the kind of input I am looking for.

Did you mean brick oven?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I had a Cadco in my old coffee shop. It was amazing. Smaller than a home oven and cooked to perfection in half the time. It resided on its own stand so I can't speak to insulation but you are probably right. You didn't dare brush up against it. Not a bad price either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I would never go commercial in my house I dont think.
Texas has some good laws on home cooking and selling very forgiving.

I also looked into commercial stuff.'
It isn't insulated as far as ovens and so on.
Called the makers to find out.
I think it was Vulcan.
Worth
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I had a Cadco in my old coffee shop. It was amazing. Smaller than a home oven and cooked to perfection in half the time. It resided on its own stand so I can't speak to insulation but you are probably right. You didn't dare brush up against it. Not a bad price either.
The Chef I knew at work told me he got a deal on the commercial stuff including the big vent system.

I told him he better think twice before he installed the big vent fan in hos house.
You can suck all of the air out of a house with one put it on vacuum.

Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #20
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am cooking and checking that is a great idea thanks this is the kind of input I am looking for.

Did you mean brick oven?

Worth
Absolutely. Why not. Easy as heck to build. Fire brick. 3000 degree glue and mortar.

I've built a few. One has two openings. Fast as a Ferrari. 175 pizzas an hour

Old chef

Last edited by Old chef; May 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old May 30, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Absolutely. Why not. Easy as neck to build. Fire brick. 3000 degree glue and mortar.

I've built a few. One has two openings. Fast as a Ferrari. 175 pizzas an hour

Old chef
What I wouldn't give to be able to cook a pizza at 650 degrees.
Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #22
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What I wouldn't give to be able to cook a pizza at 650 degrees.
Worth
Worth
Just do it! I get you some get dough recipes. Talk about cheap eatin. Dough won't cost a dime.

Old chef
Old May 30, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Yes that's right I have always wanted to do it I hate my kitchen.
It was designed for people that want to watch TV and warm up TV dinners.
On some paper somewhere I have it drawn up.
But to do this it had to be in my head first so I'm not looking fo these plans.
How I intend to do this is a little at a time.
Not the crazy BS they do on TV where the housewife takes a sledge hammer to the place and makes a huge mess.
I still need to cook right?
So where I am sitting right now will be the new place for a gas cook top and extra small sink.
The plumbing is already there to be used and in the right spot.
By doing this first I can then remove the microwave and stove from the other spot and work there when I want to.
There is 240 there so this is where the electric oven/ovens will be.

Then comes the stupid bar I never use for anything but stacking stuff on.
I can never seem to keep the thing cleared off.

If I move the bar outwards a little into the area I never use which is the living room I can have room for a small rolling prep table.
I haven't made my mind up yet on this one I need to look at it more but there will be more upper cabinets closing off the living area somewhat.
Of the big kettles I use most often are the 16 quart and 12 quart.
There are two big empty spaces that cant be accessed in two corners of the kitchen cabinets.
When I build the new cabinets I can get to them and this is where the most unused will end up.

I need to take some measurements and come up with a plan.
The cabinets wont be anything fancy but more rustic and functional.

Worth
I did a whole lot today including mowing our swamp/yard. I want to reply to a few things without reading the rest of the thread tonight. I'll read it all tomorrow. This is just friendly advice that comes from years of experience.

"There is 240 there so this is where the electric oven/ovens will be." Plural - ovens. You need two. One small one for baking a loaf of bread, and a normal or larger one to use for larger things. I have two - one gas and one electric - both have their purposes.

"Then comes the stupid bar I never use for anything but stacking stuff on.
I can never seem to keep the thing cleared off." Bars are often times used as a store-all. It's a habit. But think of it as a work station. Only certain stuff goes there. If you use it to cut up veges/meat, make bread dough and stuff like that - only allow yourself to put things like that on the bar. It isn't there for books and mail. It has a purpose - it's a work station.

Incorporating your kitchen and living room is a very good idea. The open feeling - it gives the whole area a better feeling. I would never go back to having a kitchen as a separate room. A bar is in-between our kitchen and living room. 1/4 of the bar is used for this computer, and the other 3/4 is used for preparing food. Cabinets are under the bar to hold pots and pans, and storage bowls, etc.

Like I wrote above - it has been a long day. Time to dig out the other useful thing this bar holds - triple distilled 80 proof relaxation.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt now that I can work in the garage the bar is pretty much cleaned off.
Not having two ovens is horrible.
I might and I wanted to is to get rid of the fire place and put the brick oven there.

Gonna take some fire brick and stone work but I am up to it.

My last bottle of drinking liquor was last Christmas.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; May 30, 2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old May 30, 2016   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm the opposite of Salt when it comes to an "open floor plan" -- I want nothing to do with it.

We have a third bedroom that is being used as a dining room since the original owner didn't need another bedroom and had the builder add a doorway to connect it to the kitchen. When we get around to renovating the kitchen, the wall between them is coming down.

My husband kept talking about taking the wall between the kitchen and living room down as well. I flat out refused to even consider it. I'm perfectly fine with eating in a dining area that is part of my kitchen, but feeling like I'm cooking in my living room is where I draw the line!

Our house is small enough, and taking it from five rooms down to four is the lowest I'm willing to go.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I agree, a brick oven would be much more useful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The other thing I would recommend is an external vent hood, though I rather think you've already got that idea. My last place I had a Viking with a outside fan. The motor sat on the roof and as a result was very quiet. So long as you duct directly from the hood to the motor box there is no need for an in-line fire trap. IIRC the max flow was 900 cfm w/ 8" duct, though I rarely used it that high.

I could burn stuff all day long and never know it from the next room.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #28
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I don't want an open floor plan either. I want my kitchen all to myself. I made hubby put in pocket doors between the living room and the kitchen/dining room. Then, I won't have to listen to the incessant TV and they won't have to listen to my music. And I can keep the dogs out of the kitchen too.
Old May 31, 2016   #29
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have researched cook tops and sizes till I am blue in the face up to 48 inch.
I am undecided between 48 and 36. Leaning towards 36.
I really wanted to go 36" but had to stay with 30" or lose a whole cabinet section. I found that 4 burners were enough, but really had a use for a hot plate/griddle. (The 30" had a surface griddle but you lost two burners to power it.) If you can fit a full heat griddle section between the burners, then go for it. OTOH, 48" can give you two ovens as well as the extra surface...

What brands/models are you looking at?
Old May 31, 2016   #30
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

BTW, did you know that there's a wolf in your house?