Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 4, 2017   #61
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

FD, did you have a victorio 250 with the motor?

Can you post a link to the kitchenaid strainer attachment? The one I see online cost $100-$120.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
After two years with a Vittorio, I called it quits after a multi-hour battle with an endlessly clogging screen the other day. So I spent the $39 on the Kitchenaid strainer attachment. I already had the meat grinder attachment and you need it to be able to use the strainer attachment.

It arrived yesterday and today I ran the next (equal sized) batch of tomatoes through it. What took me hours a couple of days ago took only 15 minutes with the Kitchenaid attachment even with running the discards through twice. So far I'd say it was well worth the money.
That is more than likely what I would do if I want one since I already have the KitchenAid.
I did run across a pictuer of one that ((looked)) like it would fit my meat grinder.
That would be the cats meow.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #63
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

Can you post a link to the kitchenaid strainer attachment? The one I see online cost $100-$120.
All I could find was one that fit the grinder attachment.
Old September 4, 2017   #64
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

I just had the manual Victorio, no motor.

The Kitchenaid strainer attachment is sold two ways -- with ($100 +/-) or without ($39) the food grinder attachment. You will not be able to use it without the food grinder. I already owned the grinder attachment so all I needed was the strainer attachment -

Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #65
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like the a great addition then. Motorized is the way to go for sure.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #66
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I spent a lot of time reading the reviews on Amazon for the Kitchenaid attachment, and the valid* negative reviews are mostly five-plus years old. I know there is an old (2008-ish) thread here where members were not very happy with it, which is why I scratched it off the list years ago when looking for a strainer. I'm thinking they may have tweaked the design over the years due to the high number of good reviews it's now receiving.

*I'm not counting reviews where people tried to use it for something it's not intended for (e.g., juicing things like kale and wheatgrass), obviously did not follow instructions (e.g., trying to put large-seeded grapes/berries through it), and/or complained about the number of parts/assembly/clean up (it's no different than the typical manual strainers).
Old September 4, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I tried to mix 9,000 PSI concrete in my KitchenAid mixer and the gears busted.
I do not recommend this to a friend.
Old September 4, 2017   #68
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I made bread like that once.
Old September 5, 2017   #69
imp
Tomatovillian™

How do you like the meat grinder on the KA? I have one and thought it might be too much for it?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2017   #70
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
How do you like the meat grinder on the KA? I have one and thought it might be too much for it?

I've run about five pounds of partially frozen pork through it with no problem. Same with beef. So as a meat grinder for small batches, it works great.

I've also used it to stuff sausages, and while it worked, it did seem to build up some heat in the meat. It was also a difficult to do on my own, so stuffing casings with it will really need another pair of hands.

Since I have the luxury of a live-in kitchen assistant, I picked up a Porkert manual meat grinder/sausage stuffer for the sausage making step. In fact, my parents still make sausages at least once a month and they use an electric meat grinder for prepping the meat, but still use their old manual grinder for stuffing.

If it were just me, I'd use the KA for grinding and pick up a dedicated sausage stuffer.
Old September 6, 2017   #71
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

You have put my mind to rest, my hubby just ordered one for me after the food mill wore out it will be here tomorrow. The blades and the screen of the mill are not close enough together to do the job any more. I have the KA meat grinder too and will have some hasenpfeffer later to try it out on. Tired of feeding them now it is time for them to feed me. 5 lbs is just about right for for a feffer.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2017   #72
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rabbit.
Worth
Old September 11, 2017   #73
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth, could it be you didn't use enough water?

Getting ready to start preserving again and found this old thread. Here's the old mill I wrote about a couple of years ago, one of my best purchases ever.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/elec.../91518901.html

May be overkill for most people, but I love the power -have done 60-70# batches at a time and motor stays cool. I cant feed it fast enough. They have a smaller model which also would be fine.

Entire thread is here but my pictures disappeared

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...to+mill&page=2
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #74
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Worth, could it be you didn't use enough water?

Getting ready to start preserving again and found this old thread. Here's the old mill I wrote about a couple of years ago, one of my best purchases ever.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/elec.../91518901.html

May be overkill for most people, but I love the power -have done 60-70# batches at a time and motor stays cool. I cant feed it fast enough. They have a smaller model which also would be fine.

Entire thread is here but my pictures disappeared

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...to+mill&page=2
Right click on what the picture link is view picture it will ask you to log in and you can then see your pictures.
Then just back out.
I can see and I remember your new tomato strainer we talked about.
Worth
Old September 11, 2017   #75
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I am already logged in, I don't think that's the issue. I couldn't post if I wasn't logged in. I dont see any links, i get this below instead (name of the pic, copied from the old thread). Can you (or any one else) see any of these?

Thanks

>>>>
Name: mill-1.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 259.4 KB
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote