Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 27, 2017   #61
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have my little cheapo pressure cooker going now, I browned the meat and now I'm in tenderizer mode. It a 6 qt presto ya'll were talking about, I do have a bigger one but this works for daily use.

Notice how the plastic blow off protection plug rises when cooking
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I need a small one like that.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #63
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Going to pick up old Kook Kwick canner this Saturday.
Worth
Old February 28, 2017   #64
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

HAHA!! Couldn't resist it?
Old February 28, 2017   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I talked to the lady over the phone it sounds like it is in top shape.
She wanted it to go to a good home like it was pet.
They used it for years and now she is too old to mess with it.
Well taken care of on the inside no pitting.
Worth
Old February 28, 2017   #66
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It sounds nice. Are you gonna build a pressure cooker storage locker? It would be nice to have all the tools in one place.

I've been looking for a pressure fryer. I really want to use it for gravy but it's called a fryer. I found this on ebay but I'm not sure about that pressure cap/thing on top. Take a look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Pres...8AAOSw2xRYY8Hn
Old February 28, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what the gasket is made of and if they still sell the gasket.
I was going to bring up pressure frying and was scared to here.

One of the reasons I read that they recommend not doing it is the gasket in the pressure cooker might melt due to higher temperatures.
None of mine have gaskets and you pressure fry at a lower pressure anyway.

Taken from wiki.
In cooking, pressure frying is a variation on pressure cooking where meat and cooking oil are brought to high temperatures while pressure is held high enough to cook the food more quickly. This leaves the meat very hot and juicy. A receptacle used in pressure frying is known as a pressure fryer.

KFC pressure-fried chicken.

The process is most notable for its use in the preparation of fried chicken in many commercial fried chicken restaurants.
Pressure frying is mostly done in industrial kitchens. Ordinary pressure cookers are generally unsuitable for pressure frying, because they are typically designed for a maximum temperature around 121 °C (250 °F) whereas oil can reach temperatures well in excess of 160 °C (320 °F) which may damage the gasket in an ordinary pressure cooker causing it to fail. Attempting to pressure fry using a first generation pressure cooker can be very dangerous.[1] Second generation cookers are somewhat safer, but can still be dangerous if proper precautions, like opening fill limits, are not taken.[2]
Pressure fryers operate at a lower pressure than pressure cookers.[3] The gasket in a pressure cooker's lid can be melted by boiling oil, which can result in burn injuries to anyone in the vicinity.[3]
Old February 28, 2017   #68
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That looks like my pressure cooker. It's a least as old as I am. Same top weight but the fryer is less deep and doesn't have the pop-out safety plug. (How do they get away with that, unless the weight is quite light??)

My gasket is a little stiff now and you have to tap the top to get it to seal up when the steam comes up, but undoubtedly it has never seen temps over the mid 200s.

Tell him you want to see a picture of the gasket, and ask if that is the original weight and how much it weighs. Swapping on a pressure-cooker weight might seem like an easy, though very stupid, fix for a missing one. FYI mine is 4.5 oz.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #69
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
That looks like my pressure cooker. It's a least as old as I am. Same top weight but the fryer is less deep and doesn't have the pop-out safety plug. (How do they get away with that, unless the weight is quite light??)

My gasket is a little stiff now and you have to tap the top to get it to seal up when the steam comes up, but undoubtedly it has never seen temps over the mid 200s.

Tell him you want to see a picture of the gasket, and ask if that is the original weight and how much it weighs. Swapping on a pressure-cooker weight might seem like an easy, though very stupid, fix for a missing one. FYI mine is 4.5 oz.
You ever wonder how the All American canners weight is changeable from 5 to 15 pounds?
I have and now I know.
The hole that the tapered steam vent goes into is smaller on 15 and the largest on 5.
The is the main hole and the hole the taper goes in.
Looks like the end of a drill bit of different sises but it wasn't any drill bit it was something else.
Old March 1, 2017   #70
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just bought that cooker after researching parts, they're all available too from an after market source. This place has every model listed so if you're looking for parts here's the site.
http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com...oker-Parts.htm
Old March 1, 2017   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do me a favor when it comes in.
Can you measuer how thick it is?
There are several ways to do this without fancy measuring tools if you need to know how.
I would like the bottom and the side if at all possible.
It doesn't have to be to the thousands.
The bottom just take a ruler or straight edge and lay it across the top and hanging out one side.
Measure the edge to the bottom.
Measure the edge to the flat surface it is on.
The difference between the two readings is the thickness.

Worth
Old March 1, 2017   #72
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Sure will. I checked out the size and it's a little bigger than a Magnalite round pot. 11 diameter, 4 high 18 long including handle, that should be perfect for daily cooking to speed things up.
Old March 1, 2017   #73
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I can see is the safety Nazis have gotten involved somehow with pressure frying.
But I cant blame them for that as that is just the way it is.
In the wiki article it says first generation pressure cooker dangerous.
None of mine are first generation.
I looked at the link you put up last night and they didn't have the gasket for the pressure fryer.
On eBay there was an old new stock one but it was sold.

I just measured the bottom thickness of my Kook Kwick 11 and it is 1/4 inches thick.
Old March 1, 2017   #74
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to take a look at the one I bought, I didn't see an over pressure valve but in the bottom of the lid is what looks like something should be there.

Here's the description of the Pressure Indicator.
The three-piece Pressure-Tru indicator sits on the vent pipe and maintains pressure levels inside the pressure cooker/canner.
Old March 1, 2017   #75
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I looked on line at another one like yours and it does have an over pressure plug.

Right now I am trying my luck at pressure cooking a big chunk of the BBQ pork two rears of corn a whole onion and three whole potatoes.

Worth