Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 13, 2017   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Raised Bed

Hope i am alright with the depth of this bed, due to the uneven ground and hard clay here in central Indiana the rear will be 20" deep and the front around 17" will be a raised bed mix of fine mulch, compost, and topsoil..............about 6 yds! hopefully with a few of Gingers seeds all will be good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170311_124107.jpg (429.7 KB, 162 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

That's a nice, deep bed! Typically people tend to go with 10-12" from what I've seen.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #3
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Too Deep

Thanks, i hope not too deep, maybe leave a couple/3 inches not filled? My thoughts was 11" not enough and the 10' 10 X 10's were a bit too heavy for me to work with so........... in my confusion :dizzy with what dimensional lumber to use it got about 4" higher than i really wanted so...... I hope not too deep? can always chainsaw off the top 2 X 6 but as i get older bending and reaching, might like it (67 now)..........
Old March 13, 2017   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I would leave it as is. It'll give the roots that much more good soil mix before they hit the clay. And even if you filled it to the rim now, there will be some settling as time goes on and you'll find yourself having to top it up with more compost as the years go by. So go ahead and fill it as high as you have mix for.
Old March 13, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If soil is no issue the deeper the better.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #6
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, was gonna be less than 5 yds, now a tad over 6 yds don't want to part with the dough but for tomatoes ..........
Old March 13, 2017   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Impressive!. Good job.

If you had asked ahead of your efforts i would have suggested 3 beds 4 ft apart using
the same lumber, same soil amount. 2 1/2 - 3 ft wide. Half the height. Tomatoes in the
deeper end and herbs/salad and other crops that don't need deep soil planted at the
less deep forward area.

My raised beds are narrow to allow easy access and never do i need to step into the
beds, (compacts the soil)...i do keep mine covered all winter months and double dig, no
till, early spring, working front to back...where i step is ahead of me. Working back.

I divide my beds with same boards into half or thirds. One early crop comes out and
replaced with another summer heat loving crop, without disturbing the neighboring
crop.
I have heavy clay soil so dense i could make and turn pots and bowls and drinking cups.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #8
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Your raised bed looks good. How long X wide is your bed? In my opinion, you will need to put a couple of braces toward the center of you bed to keep the soil from pushing out the sides of the bed over time. It's much easier to do that now than come back later and rework your bed.
Old March 13, 2017   #9
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Clay Soil

Yeah I have the same clay and debated to split the bed up into 2 or 3 separate beds. It is now 20' X 5.5' Debated narrower also but know/think i can work the bed from the sides especially if I used a small bench if needed. So I have what I have and will experiment with different crops at different depths. I do have a couple of cross braces - "V" channel galvanized to span for later bowing, might add a couple 2 X 4 also if it should be done??? maybe better do it every 5' at each 4 X 4 ?/?
Old March 13, 2017   #10
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Raised Bed

Do you think I can get 20 "Dwarf / Tree" type plants in that 20 X 5.5' bed?
Old March 14, 2017   #11
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I think 2x4s at each 4x4 would be a good idea. I don't know about the dwarf trees since I only grow vegetables in my raised beds.
Old March 14, 2017   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Do you think I can get 20 "Dwarf / Tree" type plants in that 20 X 5.5' bed?

If you're talking about dwarf tomato varieties, then I'd say you would have plenty of space for 20. If it were me and that was all I was growing, I would be putting in 30 dwarfs--3 rows of ten.
Old March 14, 2017   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

nice big bed, 5.5' can be a streeeetch for some to work the middle, but then I see your highly placed hose reel w/ large looped hose and maybe you are very tall. I have two six foot wide and it can be a challenge. a true inner measure four foot works best for me.

in addition, your storage barn drains on the siding of the house, possibly creating mildew issue, fwiw.

have a great year.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I honestly think my 5 foot wide beds area nightmare to work with, 3 foot wide would have been better.
The only reason I did it was for structural purposes for the arbor in the middle of the two beds.
If I had it to do over again I would have put them on concrete slabs to keep the tree roots and Bermuda grass out.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #15
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

yes thanks, a couple aluminum across the center 2 4 X 4's and a couple more across the 5.5' spans about 3/4 the way up from ground, not sure if you were pulling my leg: yes all dwarf's but they call some of them "tree" because of there thick stalk and continual production of fruit and being determinant yo, all tomatoes for sure!!