Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 18, 2006   #1
melody
Tomatovillian™

Default Salsa/Sauces

This recipe is a treasured heirloom...it is actually from the Carter Family of American Country Music fame. My husband and I travel a bit around the country as he plays guitar with folks at old timey festivals and such. We met up with an older gentleman several years ago named Sonny Rodgers. Sonny's dad and Jimmy Rodgers (father of modern country music) were cousins. It seems that Jimmy and the Carter Family toured together back in the olden days, and the Rodgers family was given the Carter Family Chow Chow Recipe. Sonny gave me a jar of it and the recipe one year, and I am eternally grateful.

Mother Maybelle Carter's Chow Chow

1 gallon green tomatoes(I used 1 gallon whole,before cutting)
1 head cabbage
3 sweet peppers
2 large onions
6 ears of corn(cut off cob)
6 large carrots
1/2 cup canning salt
3 cups packed brown sugar
3 Tblsp nutmeg
2 Tblsp horseradish
2 Tblsp mustard seed
1 Tblsp celery seed
1 quart vinegar

Chop and mix vegetables with salt.Let stand overnight.Drain well..
Mix sugar,seasonings and vinegar,Boil 1 minute.
Add vegetables,bring to boil.Boil 2 minutes.Stir to mix everything while cooking.
Take off heat and pack into jars and seal.

Now the recipe did not call for it,but I processed in boiling water bath for 7 minutes. Just good practice...and they did not think of such back then.

For a prettier presentation, I chopped and sliced the veggies in different ways, the jar I was given was pretty much ground up to about the same size pieces. I chopped the tomatoes, sliced the cabbage into shreds, left the carrots in rounds, sliced the onions into rings and the peppers into longer strips. It really looked nice in the jars that way.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

TOMATO PASTE - Posted by Woodenzoo
Yield: about 9 half-pint jars

8 quarts peeled, cored chopped tomatoes (about 4 dozen large)
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 3)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon canning or pickling salt
1 clove garlic (optional)

Procedure: Hot Pack

Combine first four ingredients and cook slowly 1 hour. Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic clove, if desired. Continue cooking slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove garlic clove and bay leaves.

Pour boiling hot paste into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

Recommended process time for Tomato Paste in a boiling-water canner.
Style of Pack: Hot / Jar Size: Half-pints

Process Time at Altitudes of:
0 - 1,000 ft - 45 minutes
1,001 - 3,000 ft - 50 minutes
3,001 - 6,000 ft - 55 minutes
Above 6,000 ft - 60 minutes

Source: USDA
This document was extracted from So Easy to Preserve, 4th ed. 1999. Bulletin 989, Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia, Athens. Revised by Elizabeth L.

SEASONED TOMATO PASTE
Printed from COOKS.COM

Making your own tomato paste is an economical way to "put up" tomatoes. Use this seasoned paste for any recipe that calls for canned tomato paste. 4 lg. red or green bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped 3 med. size onions, coarsely chopped 4 med. size carrots, coarsely chopped 2 or 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
In a blender or food processor, whirl tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, and garlic, a small amount at a time, until smooth. Press through a wire strainer and discard pulp.

In a 12 quart pot, bring puree to boiling over medium high heat. Boil gently, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for about 5 hours or until thick enough to mound on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir often, reduce heat, and partially cover.

Prepare 5 pint size canning jars, using the water bath method with a Canning Kettle, filling jars to within 1/4 inch of rim. Process for 30 minutes. Makes 5 pints.
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2006   #3
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Taco sauce

I have a son who puts taco sauce on everything (red mild kind)---it is a step up from ketchup. Could I just make a salsa recipe and puree it in my blender for taco sauce? I want to try out Annie's salsa recipe.

Thanks,
Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2006   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Salsa/Sauces

This is the best canned salsa recipe I've come across. You may want to adjust hot peppers to taste, as in adding hotter ones if you like it hot.

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #5
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I made a double batch of this and it is awesome!!! I used only 3 jalapenos and a couple of Anahiem peppers for a double batch and it was perfect (Mild but still had a kick)for us. We love it, and may never buy salsa from the store again. I used yellow bells and Sweet Banana peppers from my garden along with a few green and red, and it looks as good as it tastes. I will be making another batch today and hopefully we will be set until next year. (I have a son who puts salsa on just about everything).

I will add to the recipe that Annie said if you do the water bath you process for 15 min and Annie also said:

"I'll also caution you to taste the salsa before adding sugar or salt. Sometimes the tomatoes are really sweet and the added sugar is too much. Some people like less salt, or less cilantro, substitute parsley for the cilantro, use less/no cumin. Taste and then season, all those items are simply for flavoring and can be adjusted to suit your taste."

Tyffanie
Old September 20, 2006   #6
psa
Tomatovillian™

Been a while since I last was involved in canning. Is it possible to process the jars without the pressure?
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #7
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Yes, you may use the water bath method and process for 15 minutes, as Tyffanie mentioned in her post. :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2006   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi all,
This is very important! You can do the HWB method, but the vinegar must be increased.
This is from Annie:

Here's the recipe*. Note that I cut the vinegar way, way down and pressure cook mine. If you want to HWB it you may, but the vinegar will have to be increased to one cup.

*recipe as Earl posted.
Remy
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2006   #9
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I meant to post the extra vinegar part, but somehow I didn't. I have canned it both ways and it is delicious!

Tyffanie
Old December 10, 2006   #10
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

You may also use 1 tsp. of citric acid (crystalline powder) in place of the extra 2/3 cup of vinegar if you choose to use the water bath process versus the pressure canning method.

:wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2007   #11
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Spaghetti Sauce Recipe Wanted

I would like to know if anyone has any favorite Spaghetti Sauce recipes for canning (either pressure cooker or bwb) that they want to share???
Old July 17, 2007   #12
felpec
Tomatovillian™

We always freeze our tomato sauce. My DH is the household tomato/marinara/spaghetti/pizza sauce guru, and I guarantee he doesn't have any sort of official "comes out the same way every time" type recipes. With freezing, I don't have to worry about the ratio of acid to low acid vegetable to high acid vegetable, etc. that safe canning demands.

Do you have a copy of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (aka the Canning Bible)? I got mine at the local hardware store, but it's available for about $8 at any of the online booksellers or canning suppliers.
Or go to
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/...tti_sauce.html

I know - it's a wonder that my grandmothers, who both had "little cellars" filled to the rafters with canned goods not processed according to all these rules and regulations and had rubber rings and zinc or glass lids on the jars, ever survived to pass on their canning genes to future generations.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of recipes floating around on the Internet that are just NOT SAFE to can, so most people start with tested recipes for the peace of mind.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #13
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

No, I don't have the BB book, and all my other canning books don't have any recipes for spaghetti sauce. Maybe I'll hunt around for one.
I really want to fill my pantry with sauce!
Old July 18, 2007   #14
babylark
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to look mine up. I think it's good. It's EASY! It doesn't require peeling the maters. I don't have the time. It was my Mom's freezer tomato sauce, but I hot pack it into jars and it works GREAT!
babylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #15
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I've just printed out the recipe. There are some good, local fresh salsa makers here, but I have never found a recipe for a canned salsa I could stomach. Looking forward to trying this if our weather ever goes back to warm and sunny.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote