Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 21, 2007   #16
Biscombe
Tomatovillian™

Default Chili sauce recipe??

Hi all, Do you know any good chilli sauce recipies?
Biscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2007   #17
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

What kind of chilli sauce? for hotdogs or a hot additive?
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #18
Biscombe
Tomatovillian™

Any will do! as long as I can preserve them!
Biscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #19
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Here's one for canning:

Chili Sauce
4 quarts chopped and peeled tomatoes
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
1 small hot red pepper, chopped
1 cup sugar (you can use brown sugar or a mixture)
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cinnamon and allspice (each)
2 1/2 cups vinegar (I use cider vinegar)

Combine vegetables, sugar and salt. Cook until mixture thickens (about 45 minutes). Put spices in a spice bag (or cheesecloth) and simmer until thick. I start with a small amount of cinnamon and allspice and keep tasting. I add powdered spices as I adjust the taste. Add vinegar and continue simmering until you reach the desired thickness. Remove the spice bag, and ladle sauce into prepared pint canning jars. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Makes about six pints.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #20
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Here's one from www.homecanning.com

Italian Seasoned Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
10 pounds tomatoes
3 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon each basil, oregano, Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
Bottled lemon juice or citric acid

Instructions
Prepare Ball® or Kerr® jars and closures according to instructions found in Canning Basics.

Wash tomatoes; drain. Peel, core and cut into small pieces; set aside. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in a large saucepot. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Press mixture through a sieve or food mill; discard seeds. Cook pulp in a large, uncovered saucepot over medium-high heat until sauce thickens, stirring to prevent sticking. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to each pint jar. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.

Process 35 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 4 pints.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2007   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Next time you make your favorite spaghetti sauce, add a tsp of fennel seed to the sauce while it is simmering. You might be surprised. Ami
Old July 30, 2007   #22
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Marinara Sauce

Marinara Sauce

This is great sauce. I've typed it from the cookbook Garlic Garlic Garlic. I used 56 ounces of fresh heirloom/OP tomatoes instead of canned Italian plums. I blanched the tomatoes, removed skins, cut them in half, squeezed out seeds and strained them from the juice and added juice back to tomatoes. If it takes you more than a few days to try this recipe, you will regret it once you try it. :-)

Makes 2 Quarts

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably very fruity
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 plump garlic cloves, smashed and minced
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 large carrot, scraped and shredded
2 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, crushed, with their juice
2 teaspoons dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed dried red chilies
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper [cayenne]
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a large, heavy non-reactive saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onions and carrots, and saute, stirring often, until carrots are soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, chilies and cayenne. Bring sauce to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper and baking soda. Blend thoroughly and serve [over your favorite pasta or mix pasta into sauce when finished]. Sauce freezes well so you may want to split it up if batch makes to much for one meal.
Old July 31, 2007   #23
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Similar to what I made up over the weekend Earl...got four nice quart bags in freezer now. I did not use any carrot or baking soda...I added a good tablespoon of honey and a good splash of balsamic vinegar. I also use a large can of tomato puree and a can of paste. I let the pot simmer on low for about three to four hours. Kids love the stuff!
Old August 4, 2007   #24
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I made this salsa, great tasting and easy to do. Going to make another batch even hotter, since I didn't use the same amount of hot peppers in the recipe. The consistency was perfect, thick and chunky. Great way to use up your tomatoes, peppers and onions.
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2007   #25
Suze
Tomatovillian™

About the sugar, totally agreed that you should taste before adding any. I've made Annie's Salsa a number of times over the last few years and have yet to add sugar regardless of the tomato varieties being used. To me, salsa just isn't a food that should taste sweet; I guess that's why I don't like most of the store bought kinds. Usually they add plenty of sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup.

Also, I add more peppers than the recipe calls for.

One of my favorite ways to eat this is right out of the jar with a spoon, or with popcorn. I know...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2007   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Salsa and popcorn.....hmmmmmm.....nectar of the gods. <<vbg>>
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #27
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I agree with you Suze about the sugar. When I copied the recipe I forgot to write down sugar so totally omitted it from the recipe and I thought the salsa was perfect. Can't imagine it with sugar in it!
Carol
Old August 5, 2007   #28
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Six pints per recipe isn't all that much -- it seems like a waste to do the final canning process if you will eat it up in a relatively short time -- like two weeks? How long could you store closed jars strictly refrigerated, without the final waterbath/pressure canning step? I have kept opened store salsa in the fridge for several months with no problem, but that might be a bit too long for homemade which has not been at the commercial high temps/pressure. Still, short term refrigeration would be a safety improvement over the open kettle method formerly used by old timers. Any thoughts?
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #29
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I like salsa, but can't eat 6 pints in a few weeks! Besides I like giving it away to friends and family.
Carol
Old August 6, 2007   #30
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

If I get in a groove, I can easily eat a pint a day by myself as a condiment with regular meals. Like on eggs in the morning, with beans and corn tortillas for lunch, and on the meat at night. Now I might not do this every day, but I can get rid of at least 3 pints a week all by myself. Actually I prefer the fresh pico de gallo type salsa when tomatoes are in season, so I probably should be canning Annie's salsa for long term storage anyway.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote