Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 7, 2007   #31
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

That seems like a great recipe, I'll try it next week and let you know how it turns out. Thank you! The fennel seeds seem different, I'll try some.
Old August 9, 2007   #32
Earl
Tomatovillian™

We enjoy Putanesca Sauce, here's one.

PUTTANESCA SAUCE
WITH ANCHOVIES, OLIVES AND CAPERS
Spaghetti alla puttanesca

Naples - Campania
Preparation - Medium
Serves 4
A favorite in 'Bella Napoli'.

* 2 small (14 - 16 oz) or 1 large (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
* 4 cloves of garlic, halved
* 4 or 5 anchovy filets, chopped
* 3 T olive oil
* 10 - 12 black olives, stoned and coarsley chopped
* 2 TBSP capers, soaked and drained
* 2 TBSP Italian parsley, chopped
* 1/2 to 1 small red chili, chopped
* salt
* 1 lb spaghetti or spaghettini

SET aside some of the olives, parsley and capers as a garnish.

IN a deep pan lightly brown the garlic in hot oil. Add anchovies, crush to a paste with a fork.

ADD the tomatoes, olives, capers and the chili, cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

ADD parsley and cook for a couple minutes more.

COOK the pasta. Drain well.

IN a warm serving bowl put the cooked and drained pasta, add the sauce, and mix thoroughly (you can also do this in your cooking pan if it is large enough). Some like to add a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley at this point.

Cheese is not usually served with this dish.
Old August 9, 2007   #33
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Here's mine:

Fill 8 quart pot with ripe tomatoes, peeled and cored, one inch+ from the top
Simmer at least one hour, stirring every ten minutes or so
If you don't like it a little chunky, give it a quick mixing with a hand mixer to your liking
Add fresh ground pepper
kosher salt
sugar

Things that I 'fish out' later from my herb garden:
two stalks fresh basil
parsley
oregano
tarragon
two onions, halved
two bell peppers, quartered
one head (about) garlic
two hungarian hot peppers (opional) whole with tops cut off

Simmer at least one hour

'Fish' all herb stalks, onion, and peppers out

add paste to thicken if needed

Can in jars, boil 15 - 20 min

If pot is pretty full, you may get 6 quarts

I made 40+ quarts so far for family and friends that way.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, It's Mom's !!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007   #34
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I have to add, there was never any recipe written down, just learned it from my grandmother and my mom.

Adjust spices to your liking

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007   #35
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My favorite sauce - and it is approximate, and depends upon what is ripe - very imprecise for a recipe that I would cook (the scientist in me likes to measure, the cook in me doesn't!).

this works well for us -

2-3 tbsp good olive oil
1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3-4 sweet bell or frying peppers, ripe color, not green, seeded and cut into bite sized chunks
at least 10-12 large ripe tomatoes- any color - cored and chopped into large chunks
salt and black pepper to taste, pinch of sugar
fresh oregano leaves, torn into small pieces
plenty of fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces

In a large heavy bottom pot, heat the olive oil over medium high, then add the onion, garlic and sweet peppers - saute until the onions and peppers are well softened, but not browned (watch the garlic, especially, for browning).
Add the tomatoes and oregano, stir well, bring to a boil, and let it vigorously cook over medium heat - stir often.
After 30 min or so it will start to reduce down - with the spoon, crush the tomatoes into smaller pieces - once it starts to resemble a sauce, taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper and the pinch of sugar - to taste. Continue to cook down until it is the thickness that you like.
Just before you turn off the heat, stir in the basil.

This will absorb a lot of tomatoes - we tend to use whatever we have - it will look like quite a lot as it starts, but as the excess liquid boils off, it will concentrate well and thicken nicely. The fresh tomato flavor is very intense!

You will also notice that the seeds and peels don't bother us - if you like, you can squeeze the seeds out of the tomatoes (and even peel the tomatoes by submerging in boiling water for a min, then plunging into ice water.

I am sure that this can then be hot packed into jars and water bath treated for 15 min to allow for canning the sauce. We prefer to freeze it!
Old August 10, 2007   #36
felpec
Tomatovillian™

One cautionary note - the "Canning Police" insist that extra acid be added if you are going to can tomatoes mixed with low acid vegetables, like onions and peppers. The acid could be bottled lemon juice (1 tablespoon per pint) or citric acid. I did find one recipe that uses red wine and red wine vinegar for the acid. I think the vino would be yummier than plain old lemon juice.

8 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
2/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup red wine vinegar 5% acidity
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon pickling salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 6-oz can tomato paste

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt, sugar and tomato paste in a very large non-reactive pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.

Ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim (head space). Process 35 minutes for pint jars and 40 minutes for quart jars in a boiling water bath.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2007   #37
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Ok...finally looked up my Mother's recipe for freezer sauce that I have canned in the past and I love it.

20 Large Tomatoes - Quartered
1 Large Onion - Coarse Cuts
1 Large Carrot - Coarse Cuts
1/2 c. Parsley - Chopped
1 Tbls. Salt
1 Tbls. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper

Put everything in a large pot and simmer until all the veggies are soft. Cool completely. Blend in small batches in the blender. You can either freeze it in containers or I just re-heat it and can it.
Old August 26, 2007   #38
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

That sounds delicious! What is the purpose of the baking soda, do you suppose?

I also make something similar, but use a small amount of sugar in place of the carrot for sweetening and use some balsamic vinegar and red wine. Also all olive oil, no butter. So maybe not so similar after all. But same general concept. Maybe next time I make it I will add some butter, but probably not the full six tablespoons.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #39
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

ruth, can you post your recipe?

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #40
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Earl, that looks like a good candidate for our dinner tonight.

I may substitute a baby leek for carrot, as the hot weather has left my carrots tasting like soap, yet the leeks are very sweet...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2007   #41
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

After putting up over 15 quarts the past 2 seasons, I've tweaked it a bit. 1/8 cup of salt was way too salty, and 2 teaspoons of cumin is too much for me. Start with half and adjust upwards according to your taste.

I also like a cup of vinegar whether you are eating it fresh or canning it. Also, try apple cider vinegar and see what you think. I had run out of white vinegar and substituted the apple cider vinegar, and it made the salsa even better!

I'll be making my last canned batch tonight which will give me 12 quarts for the winter.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2007   #42
Miss Sphinx
Tomatovillian™

Red Tomato Chutney
from "Preserving" by Oded Schwartz

3 Tblsp peanut or sesame oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
1 head garlic, coarsely chopped
6 Tblsp finely shredded fresh ginger
2-3 fresh red chilies, seeded and cut into thick strips
2 lbs firm plum or beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup jaggery or light brown sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
6 cardamom pods
1 bunch basil or mint, chopped

Heat the oil in a noncorrosive saucepan and add the onions, garlic, ginger, and chilies, if using. Cook over low hear for 5 minutes, or until the onions just start to color. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, or until soft.

Add the sugar and vinegar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until it is thick and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.

Grind the cardamom pods in the spice mill or coffee grinder. Add to the chutney through a sieve and stir in the basil or mint.

Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, then seal. The chutney will be ready to eat in about 1 month, but improves with age.

Yield: about 2 pints
Old December 15, 2007   #43
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yum. I can't believe it took me this long to see this recipe. I'll try the canned tomatoes for now and make bigger batches with my own tomatoes next summer. I'm having a new commercial freezer delivered on Wednesday. I wonder about the baking soda too. Like Ruth, I always add a bit of sugar or Splenda to my tomato sauce recipes. This one really sounds great. Thanks, Earl!
Old January 1, 2008   #44
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I made this today with a couple teaspoons of sugar and some fresh Italian parsely. Excellent!
Old January 6, 2008   #45
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Marinara Sauce

I blanched the tomatoes, removed skins, cut them in half, squeezed out seeds and strained them from the juice and added juice back to tomatoes.
Earl, you need a food mill! You cut the tomatoes in quarters or so, put them into the mill and turn the crank while holding the thing over a bowl. The juice and pulp goes through the holes in the bottom, the seeds and skin stay in the mill so that you can discard it. Ideal for tomatoes that you don't want to use whole or diced and applesauce. I wouldn't consider canning applesauce without one.

You can get them in various sizes - and you can get them so that they come apart for cleaning and have variously sized bottom plates. One of my daughters got me a nice one or 1.5 quart one with three different plates that comes apart for cleaning on Amazon for about $20 last canning season.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote